Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 23, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #22,621 of 149,685
I think I found out what changed the sound yesterday (may still be a little bit due to the vibrations being way less) but:

1. Closing the ensuite-doors (I`ll start doing this more often now)
2. I moved the sub to have better acces to my rack, forgot to put it back(but I think I`ll leave it where it is now. Happy accident!)
3. An excellent bottle of 2010 Margaux. (this proverbial angelpiss goes really well with a side of Schiit)

In music as in most things, "In Vino Veritas."

Jul 23, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #22,622 of 149,685
final picture, Vandersteen speakers with Mono Vidars
IMG_4304.JPG

Jul 23, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #22,623 of 149,685
final picture, Vandersteen speakers with Mono Vidars

So cool. Brings back fond memories of my Vandersteen based system with John Curl designed Parasound monoblocks, before life change, etc brought an end to almost 40 years of 2-channel high end audio back in 2009. Thanks for sharing :smile_phones:

Jul 23, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #22,624 of 149,685
Regardless of being polite and thankful, somehow I have still failed in my writing here, as Pietro Cozzi Tinin has pointed out in his colorful reply.

I will take some time of from head-fi, and find another place to have technical debate about audio gear.

I thought that in Schiit Happened -thread, I could have a short debate with the company representatives, I thought that is what chat forums are for, silly me.
There is also the ignore feature for folks who tend to be more noise than signal. It cleans up the clutter quite well.

Jul 23, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #22,628 of 149,685
I had my Tannoy XT 8F ran 2 hours straight driven by Vidars in monoblock. Listening position (7 ft away) measured around 80 dB. They didn't get that hot at all... Only warm to the touch...
Tannoys are 91 dB efficient and 8 ohms...

OK, day two. I have moved them to their desired location in the bedroom each on their own shelf in a cabinet, this time driving speakers nominally rated at 4 ohm, 88db. Jotty serves as preamp sitting on a night stand via balanced cables run around to the other side of the room. They have been playing 4hours. After 2 hours hottest spot on cover was 109°F. I roughly duplicated your parameters Aaron and after 1/2 hour cover was 120° overall (how it felt yesterday in the wide open) and hottest spot on heatsink was 127°. Crank them a little more and 130° didn't take more than a few minutes. Not a problem since I don't listen at that level. Their desired spot is great, I was a bit nervous yesterday after driving them into the Focals. They've had a reserved spot there for 10 months. Everything is an experiment.

I had a pair of Musical Fidelity M1 PWR amps in the bedroom and while they made little heat they were quite mediocre. When I got my Krell KAV-400xi integrated fixed I put it in place and used the amp section. Ahhh, so much better. The Vidars stomp the class D M1's. In every way that my Krell sounded better than the M1's, Vidar refines that even more. More dynamic, better separation of images.

So for anyone on the fence, do the math. 2 Vidars and Jotty. What a fantastic bargain! Add Freya and you make another sonic jump. For those not wanting to reach around or use a switched outlet they are barely warm if left on. Jason take another bow! Disclaimer, as always YMMV.

Jul 23, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #22,629 of 149,685
I think I found out what changed the sound yesterday (may still be a little bit due to the vibrations being way less) but:

1. Closing the ensuite-doors (I`ll start doing this more often now)
2. I moved the sub to have better acces to my rack, forgot to put it back(but I think I`ll leave it where it is now. Happy accident!)
3. An excellent bottle of 2010 Margaux. (this proverbial angelpiss goes really well with a side of Schiit)

Yes, tubes are affected by vibration. This is commonly called Micro-phonics and is addressed with "tube dampers" of which there are many variations. Most are a device which is placed over the tube as a shield to help reduce this effect.

Hope this helps, stled

Jul 23, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #22,630 of 149,685
I read the tannoys are picky when it comes to amps. Do you think its a nice combo?
And if I may ask: how big is your room?
So far I think it's a nice combo. Definitely better than the Marantz+Tannoy combo. I'll do more critical listening after a solid burn-in, and when my fiance is not at home...
The Tannoys are picky when it comes to the room though... My room is 12' x 26' ish but the placement of the speakers are not at the center (open kitchen on one side). My listening position is now 7' away from the speakers. May need to adjust a bit later.

Jul 23, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #22,631 of 149,685
So far I think it's a nice combo. Definitely better than the Marantz+Tannoy combo. I'll do more critical listening after a solid burn-in, and when my fiance is not at home...
The Tannoys are picky when it comes to the room though... My room is 12' x 26' ish but the placement of the speakers are not at the center (open kitchen on one side). My listening position is now 7' away from the speakers. May need to adjust a bit later.
Thanks for the info! My room here is a little bigger but the ratio is about the same so there should be similarities. I also have the open kitchen going on and another room to the other side but that one I can close off.
How would you say, does the Vidar differ from the marantz on the Tannoys? I know the Marantz sound a bit so this would help me guestimate :)

Jul 23, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #22,632 of 149,685
I'm used to the old low resolution site. If you're ever in Florida you know where to stop in for a beer.

Ok, get two and use your Rag as a pre.

For all reading this thread: Most definitely give them room to breathe. I'm used to hi bias mode on my JC1's so that's ok. My initial feeling is Jason would sell more of these with a 1 placed in front of the 6! Impressive. Not the same depth behind the speakers I'm used to but wow! Jason, if you're out there take a bow. Going to live with them before saying more and the other amps I've tried. Buy two, go balanced and don't look back.:beerchug:

Nice, I too have JC1's on my towers and an A31 on the center and surrounds, I'm eventually going to get another JC1 for the center but decided I'd get a Vidar and give it a try on the center for now and see if it'll handle 4 ohm mono at reference levels for a complete movie... If it does I might just leave it in the system, If not I'll repurpose it in another system.

Jul 23, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #22,635 of 149,685
Would a Vidar be too much amp for these speakers,

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cbm170/cbm170specs.html

in a nearfield desktop setup where I sit about 4' from the speakers?
You would definitely need to watch your volume settings to avoid hearing loss. However, your reserve power would be exceptional, and you would have a dynamite system. If you can afford it, go for it-----after all, you might want a larger 2 channel setup in the future!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back