Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 23, 2016 at 2:37 AM Post #15,376 of 150,813
  A couple of updates:

1. Unless something very untoward happens, Freyas will be available for order on Friday. We are finally getting boards in tomorrow. It's doubtful that any of them will be shipped on Friday, however. We have to burn them in.

2. Just a couple of photos of the new Vidar prototype, which I mentioned I was building. It's radically different than what we showed. The heatsinks are now literally part of the chassis--everything bolts to them. It should be running next week, thermally qualified shortly after, and then the parts ordering can begin. One aside: this sucker is now VERY dense. The new, larger heatsinks added a few pounds.

Do you have a ballpark on the Vidar's expected dimensions? If this fits in my rack, I think it's a day one purchase for me. 

Dec 23, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #15,381 of 150,813
Dec 23, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #15,383 of 150,813

OK, I have another audiophile nonsense description to add to my collection: "capacitive coupling between the windings letting noise through" in a transformer.  You bet.  The last thing you want in a transformer is winding coupling of any kind.  That goes right up there with what a materials scientist I know once described as "reverse osmosis doping migration" in an IC.  Yes, that must be the reason it's over heating. 

Dec 23, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #15,384 of 150,813
Racks are significantly cheaper than other amplifiers of the same capability

That's possible, but not a given. Depends on the furniture ( highly variable ) and the performance of the amp ( unknown but intriguing).

But it's a fact that it's cheaper to buy a given amp, than that same amp plus new furniture to accommodate it.

In my case, the furniture is less than a week old, and isn't going anywhere. So, again, IF the Vidal fits, I'll likely take a day one chance on it based on reputation, specs, and intangibles. If not, I'll look elsewhere.

Which is why I'm curious about the dimensions to see if Vidar is even an option for me. Obviously, I hope it is!

Dec 23, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #15,385 of 150,813
Vidar's dimensions remain the same as the prototype: 9" wide, 12.9" deep, and 3.85" tall.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 23, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #15,390 of 150,813

Users who are viewing this thread

Back