Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 20, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #15,241 of 150,840

Hey Jason- can you say a word or two about the ad I posted above?

It's just a mailer we're doing with Grado and some other guys. We'll see how it does. Consider it a marketing experiment.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 21, 2016 at 12:22 AM Post #15,243 of 150,840
  Hey all,

Sorry to be so scarce...it's crazy around here right now. With any luck, I'll have an end-of-the-year wrap-up chapter (where we started, what we did, where we're going, etc) later this week. 

It's-OK. Rumors are that you have a full-time job. Sometimes Schiit happens and gets in the way. Can't play on the HeadFi forums all the time. 

Dec 21, 2016 at 12:32 AM Post #15,244 of 150,840
I noticed that Schiit doesn't believe in toroidal transformers -- why is that?

Toroids for power transformers are like stained glass windows for greenhouses.  Aesthetic but expensive and 90% misapplied.  The only advantage of toroid geometric cores is a controlled field interfering less than traditional power transformers - oh, and cheaper to mount because they only require one mounting hole.  The former is easier to evade with proper case design, the latter for cheapos.  Toroids are made of ferrite core material.  The ONLY advantage of ferrite cores is for high frequency appication.  For 50 and 60Hz power transformers, iron has much higher permeability and power transfer than toroids.  If you are a high-ender and care more about art than proper function, you may choose toroids for your audio gear AND stained glass for your greenhouse.  This may be helpful when you point out your gear's/greenhouse's useless features to your ever-diminishing group of friends.  Oh, and did I say because toroids run out of gas below the power line frequency they sound like hum-free gutless ass, particularly at lower frequencies.  Carry on, high-end audio, in spending technically worthless money to raise prices for all.

Sorry - power toroids are one of my pet peeves.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 21, 2016 at 12:59 AM Post #15,245 of 150,840

It's just a mailer we're doing with Grado and some other guys. We'll see how it does. Consider it a marketing experiment.

Ahh, 

I got that today too.  

At first I thought Massdrop may have sold their address book after a recent order I placed with them.

Dec 21, 2016 at 1:04 AM Post #15,246 of 150,840
Did I miss this earlier? A comparison of the Modi 2 Uber vs the Modi Multibit...

http://audio-head.com/schiit-modi-multibit-vs-modi-2-uber/

I saw that. He writes that "The difference is such that anyone who cares to listen would be able to pick it out, and to such a degree that occasionally it would appear that the Multi ran a bit more gain through the wire", when I commented there that that's in fact the case, because M2U puts out 1.5v and mimby puts out 2v, my comment was deleted within a day...

Dec 21, 2016 at 2:01 AM Post #15,247 of 150,840
  Starting to doubt that Fasolt or Fafner will release Freia before x-mas, no matter how much gold we pile in front of them.

My guess is that Wotan's castle still requires some plumbing work, allowing the god to keep his sister in law protected from the engineer giants for a while longer.

Luckily, this time around, the big friendly giants who are after the goddess of youth and beauty have promised to be economically reasonable. No need to dish out the customary rhinegold, ring and tarnhelm in order to secure her release. Just wait. Just a bit. Just a bit more...

Do mind, by the end of the story, Fafner does turn violent on Fasolt; we shouldn't drive the analogy too far!

Dec 21, 2016 at 2:02 AM Post #15,248 of 150,840
Originally Posted by Baldr /img/forum/go_quote.gif

..  Toroids are made of ferrite core material.  ..

Not for mains power transformers,
the only ones I know of have laminated iron cores (thin strip wound round and round)
ferrite toroids are used for some chokes and pulse transformers etc.

Biggest downside is capacitive coupling between the windings letting noise through

Dec 21, 2016 at 2:38 AM Post #15,249 of 150,840

I'd say it didn't go very well. People seem to have been receiving these emails with suspicion. My personal gripe with it is that I registered my email with Schiit's spam'o'bot in order to get, as advertised, updates on new releases (product or press), and while I haven't got ANY such updates in the past 6 months or so, I did start getting these unsolicited emails...

Dec 21, 2016 at 4:52 AM Post #15,251 of 150,840
I was just lurking on the Schiit website and noticed they have deleted the "Finish" option on all of their products.  No B stock or Black.  Hmmm...

Dec 21, 2016 at 6:54 AM Post #15,254 of 150,840
  Well, I got about 8 of those "marketing experiment" emails within a few days. Sort of annoying. So I unsubscribed from the least. I'd call that a "fail".

That's interesting, because what I got came via the US Mail, not via email. I have not seen any email marketing from Schiit, or any other audio company. Now I'm curious if there are a couple of experiments happening.

Dec 21, 2016 at 7:45 AM Post #15,255 of 150,840
  Not for mains power transformers, the only ones I know of have laminated iron cores (thin strip wound round and round) ferrite toroids are used for some chokes and pulse transformers etc.

Biggest downside is capacitive coupling between the windings letting noise through

Another big downside is manufacturing complexity. Toroid winding machines are complicated, expensive devices, compared to relatively simple e-core winding machines, and the manufacturing touch labor is higher for toroids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back