Schiit Fire and Save Matches! Bifrost Multibit is Here.
Apr 14, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #2,626 of 2,799
  Let me start by saying that in the last year I have made several upgrades in headphones and amps and finding it difficult sometimes to hear where the money had gone.  Most recently my go-to rig was the PC>JRiver>Jotunheim/DAC>LCD-3f's.  A little over a week ago, I received my Bimby.  Out of all gear acquisitions so far, no single component has brought more to my listening experience than Schiit's multibit special sauce.  

My Question... And I know that the answer is here somewhere, but hidden within nearly 2000 posts of this thread.  

I have seen several mentions of leaving the Bifrost powered 24 hours a day, but the recommendation is never accompanied by an explanation.  Should I leave it powered all of the time?  Why?  Am I going to notice a real world difference if instead I power it up and listen within minutes?

Thanks

The DAC chips take powered-on time to settle into their specs (on the order of hours/days), and measurements show that there is a real change in its output after being on for a number of hours.

Will you hear the difference? Not sure, some people are more sensitive to the differences than others. Personally I leave it on all the time because it's pretty cheap to do so, and I think it might sound better, but I don't plan to turn it off or buy a second one to verify that.

Apr 14, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #2,627 of 2,799
I leave mine on 24/7.  Leaving it on sure does not make it sound worse...

wink.gif

Apr 14, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #2,628 of 2,799

I have seen several mentions of leaving the Bifrost powered 24 hours a day, but the recommendation is never accompanied by an explanation.  Should I leave it powered all of the time?  Why?  Am I going to notice a real world difference if instead I power it up and listen within minutes?

You should leave it on all the time. Multibit DACs apparently benefit from operating at thermal equilibrium. Since these chips are intended for dedicated purposes outside of home use, it makes sense.

Apr 14, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #2,629 of 2,799
  I leave mine on 24/7.  Leaving it on sure does not make it sound worse...

wink.gif

One certainly can't argue with that logic.  Looks like I'll be leaving it on all the time.  I will need to move it into an enclosed cabinet so that the input light won't illuminate my room at night. That's kind of a shame since I like the way it looks on my desktop, but I bought it for listening and not necessarily for looking at.  Thanks for the input all.

Apr 14, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #2,630 of 2,799
  Should I leave it powered all of the time?  Why?  Am I going to notice a real world difference if instead I power it up and listen within minutes?

IIRC, @Baldr has said all his DACs should be left on all the time, even the non-multibit ones.  I do know that my UberFrost sounds a bit more brittle if I leave it off for an extended period (days) and it takes a few hours to get back to its regular honey-smoothness.

If the light bothers you I've seen LightDims recommended to cover them.  Someone also said he used a sharpie to blacken out the light.  I'd probably just use electrical tape myself.

Apr 14, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #2,631 of 2,799
  One certainly can't argue with that logic.  Looks like I'll be leaving it on all the time.  I will need to move it into an enclosed cabinet so that the input light won't illuminate my room at night. That's kind of a shame since I like the way it looks on my desktop, but I bought it for listening and not necessarily for looking at.  Thanks for the input all.

Yes indeed the DimLights work reasonably well but I put a pair of dice in front of the lights to block out the light that does bleed through.

Apr 16, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #2,632 of 2,799
Multibit is more picky about its thermal envelope than delta sigma. However, my ears have difficulty hearing a difference. I suppose I would need to a/b two bimbies with a SYS.

Apr 16, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #2,633 of 2,799
The DAC chips take powered-on time to settle into their specs (on the order of hours/days), and measurements show that there is a real change in its output after being on for a number of hours.

Will you hear the difference? Not sure, some people are more sensitive to the differences than others. Personally I leave it on all the time because it's pretty cheap to do so, and I think it might sound better, but I don't plan to turn it off or buy a second one to verify that.
Happen to have a link to those measurements?

Apr 16, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #2,634 of 2,799
Happen to have a link to those measurements?

Here are a few of @atomicbob 's measurement threads:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/764787/yggdrasil-technical-measurements
http://www.head-fi.org/t/785367/bifrost-mb-technical-measurements
http://www.head-fi.org/t/817404/modi-mb-technical-measurements/15

I know he did a second set of measurements on the Yggdrasil after a few hundred hours that showed jitter dropped a lot after it was on for a while; not sure if he has detailed before/after of the others.

There are also a couple other threads on "the internet" *waves hands* that I'm sure Google could find for you (sorry, no linking here).

Apr 16, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #2,635 of 2,799
Here are a few of @atomicbob
 's measurement threads:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/764787/yggdrasil-technical-measurements
http://www.head-fi.org/t/785367/bifrost-mb-technical-measurements
http://www.head-fi.org/t/817404/modi-mb-technical-measurements/15

I know he did a second set of measurements on the Yggdrasil after a few hundred hours that showed jitter dropped a lot after it was on for a while; not sure if he has detailed before/after of the others.

There are also a couple other threads on "the internet" *waves hands* that I'm sure Google could find for you (sorry, no linking here).
Hee hee hee. Thanks.

I use coax, so I'll look into this figures and see if it helps

May 11, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #2,637 of 2,799
Someone on another thread told me they had seen somewhere they couldn't remember (how's that for first hand knowledge???) that Mike had said it was "spine-tingling". At my age and with my back, I'm always looking forward to some "tingling". ))))

May 18, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #2,638 of 2,799
Someone on another thread told me they had seen somewhere they couldn't remember (how's that for first hand knowledge???) that Mike had said it was "spine-tingling". At my age and with my back, I'm always looking forward to some "tingling". ))))

Almost positive that was about the Manhattan Project; I actually don't recall having seen anything about potential Bimby updates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back