Rockbox Xduoo X3
Jul 19, 2017 at 6:11 AM Post #1,816 of 2,617
I'm betting it's a broken card. I have .rockbox folders on both my 2 cards, and Rockbox boots through either slot
If it was a broken card then why would they both show up in the stock firmware? That is why I edited my reply above to ask more questions and explain about how the cards show up in file view.

Jul 19, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #1,817 of 2,617
Are you using file view or have you built a database? If you are using file view you will see sdcard 1 and you will see another folder simply called music (assuming you have all your albums in a folder called Music. That will be the other card. Nothing will say sdcard 2. If you have built a database then all of the music combined from both cards should show up in the database if everything is correctly tagged.

It's like rockbox is treating one of the cards as if it was the internal memory in devices that have internal memory plus one card. Many have been initially confused by this. The thread has gotten too long to sit and read the whole thing but many of the issues brought up recently have been discussed in the past particularly when rockbox first became available for the x3. You can, however, do a search within the thread to find past discussions.

In the stock firmware when you go to folder view it does say external disk1 and external disk2.
^ This.

If you're using file view (personally I prefer this type of navigation. I don't build a database) and booting your Rockbox from the first slot, the second slot should show up as a "<microSD1>" directory. If you're booting from the second slot, the first slot would show up as "<microSD1>" directory instead.

If it was a broken card then why would they both show up in the stock firmware? That is why I edited my reply above to ask more questions and explain about how the cards show up in file view.
I guess I didn't pay much attention, my apologies.:laughing:

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 6:13 AM Post #1,818 of 2,617
Tomorrow I finally get to hear the new Roger Waters album (yeah I know his solo stuff sucks but this new one is actually awesome) without those dreaded, horrible pauses between tracks, and that inexplicable first second cut off. WOOHOO!!! Can't wait!

Now you have made me want to listen to that tonight.

Jul 19, 2017 at 6:16 AM Post #1,819 of 2,617
If you're using file view (personally I prefer this type of navigation. I don't build a database)

I can never remember what is on which card. I have to have a database! I do have to go to file or folder view to play a various artists album though. Those are a big mess in the database when using artist view.

Jul 19, 2017 at 6:28 AM Post #1,820 of 2,617
I can never remember what is on which card. I have to have a database! I do have to go to file or folder view to play a various artists album though. Those are a big mess in the database when using artist view.
Most of my albums have various artists, though. Having to remember which album is on which card isn't an issue for me as well (maybe because I don't have a large storage yet; as of now, I only have 2 32GB cards on each slot. I have yet to buy larger cards). That's why personally, I kinda prefer browsing through folders over building a database.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #1,821 of 2,617
Most of my albums have various artists, though. Having to remember which album is on which card isn't an issue for me as well (maybe because I don't have a large storage yet; as of now, I only have 2 32GB cards on each slot. I have yet to buy larger cards). That's why personally, I kinda prefer browsing through folders over building a database.

I can understand that.... but wait til you have a couple of 128GB (or more) in the player! I actually have very few various artists albums. I tend to have multiple albums by those artists instead.

At the moment I actually only have two 32 GB cards in the x3 because I moved my two 128 GB cards into my Opus #1 player when I got that a few months ago. I use it for my living room set up at home (feeding a tube amp). The x3 is more for on the go and right now the two smaller cards are ok for that. I don't need to carry all my music with me if I go out for a walk. Bigger cards are still pretty expensive.

Jul 19, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #1,822 of 2,617
Hey folks. I kinda jumped the gun there a bit without poking around much. You guys are right. So I have all my music sorted in folders by genre. Certain genres on certain cards. So the list was showing <microSD1> and then the genre folders from that card underneath. So I just assumed it was only recognising that card and displaying the contents of it. But yeah, if I actually open <microSD1> I then see it shows the genre folders from my second card, oddly enough. So it's all there. The way it's displayed just threw me off.

Things are looking very good. Just gotta get that second 128gb card and I reckon I'm gonna be a pretty damn happy lad!

Thanks for the help, guys. Really appreciate it!

And yeah, mbwilson111, that Roger album really is tops. Was enormously and pleasantly surprised by that one. I've already listened to it probably about 10 times as much as I ever listened to any of his other solos, ha!

Jul 19, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #1,823 of 2,617
Hey folks. I kinda jumped the gun there a bit without poking around much. You guys are right. So I have all my music sorted in folders by genre. Certain genres on certain cards. So the list was showing <microSD1> and then the genre folders from that card underneath. So I just assumed it was only recognising that card and displaying the contents of it. But yeah, if I actually open <microSD1> I then see it shows the genre folders from my second card, oddly enough. So it's all there. The way it's displayed just threw me off.

Things are looking very good. Just gotta get that second 128gb card and I reckon I'm gonna be a pretty damn happy lad!

Thanks for the help, guys. Really appreciate it!

And yeah, mbwilson111, that Roger album really is tops. Was enormously and pleasantly surprised by that one. I've already listened to it probably about 10 times as much as I ever listened to any of his other solos, ha!

Glad to hear you got it all sorted!

Jul 19, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #1,824 of 2,617

I think you're in the same boat as this guy on Reddit:

"The second micro SD card is listed as it's [sic] own folder in the file browser which adds an additional keypress to access it. Okay, that last one is a non-issue I mentioned just to be nit picky."

If you have an extra budget, you could settle with a 256GB card (of course, just make sure it's FAT32-formatted with 4096 block size). I asked this a page ago and you could even use two FAT32-formatted 256GB cards, for a total of 512GB, just like what @slaterlovesspam did. Please take note that using cards that are above xDuoo's advertised limit (128GB per slot) only works on Rockbox mode, obviously.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #1,825 of 2,617
Yeah I saw the posts about the 256gb cards. That'd be wild. Things aren't cheap though. And I'd have no other use for my 128gb card (soon to be plural) if I got a 256 or 2.

Two 128gb cards is more than enough for me anyway. I actually don't even use lossless files or anything. All my music is standard mp3 format. I just got the xduoo for its storage capabilities cos I like a lot of music and have an enormous collection of it. I listen to probably about 8 hours of music a day. All albums and 95% on the go or at work (ie. on my portable player).

But the beauty of players like the xduoo, that store music on micro SD as opposed to iPods, is that not only is it quick and easy to add new music, it's also easy to delete it too. Having 256gb of standard mp3 storage to play with should really do me for life.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

Jul 19, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #1,826 of 2,617

Just finished listening to it...loved it. One that I will want to hear with each of my headphones...like I do with Yello-Toy. Tonight it was the Opus to my tube amp to my AKG K240 MKII while reclining in my comfy recliner sofa. Haha when it first started I thought something was not connected correctly!

Jul 19, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #1,828 of 2,617
Haha, nice one mate. I'm about 5 minutes away from giving it my first listen with gapless playback. After hearing it you'd know how beneficial the gapless will be.

Essential. That is why I don't understand why some people are not bothered by the lack of gapless in the stock firmware. Also if i remember correctly, the first couple seconds of each song would cut off...not sure if it was the with the first song in an album or all of them. I am annoyed that xDuoo never fixed the stock firmware. They just left it with XVortex to address with his Rockbox port. He does not work for xDuoo or Rockbox. We are lucky to have him here. I need to visit the donate page... he has made this player into the gem that it is.

Jul 20, 2017 at 6:55 AM Post #1,829 of 2,617
I could live without gapless cos I was used to it with my iPod. I feel as if my iPod actually was gapless but at some point it randomly stopped being gapless, haha. That thing had all kinds of issues.

But the first second odd cutoff on every track (yes it was every track) was too much.

Now that I have gapless I can't imagine I could go back.

I'll have to throw down a donation too. Also one to freac for dramatically cutting down the time it took me to rename loads of album track lists. That one I actually figured out all by myself! Haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back