Rockbox Xduoo X3
Jul 18, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #1,802 of 2,617
http://xvtx.ru/rockbox/manual.htm

Also forgot to mention that your microSD card not only has to be formatted with FAT32, but the block size MUST be 4k (ie 4096). When you format the card, you are given the option of choosing the block size. Make sure to choose 4096.
Ok so here's what I mean about these things being challenging for me. Straight away I've run into a hurdle. How do I check the block size? I couldn't find anything in the properties. I used EaseUS to format my cards, and I can't find any info about any block size stuff in there either. Even googling I couldn't find how to check the block size of a micro sd. However, there is an option for '4k alignment' in EaseUS. Is that related? When I tried to apply it to my card it said 'the disk has already been aligned'. I'm assuming that means it's already '4k aligned', but then I worry could it actually mean it's already been aligned to another setting?

Cheers

Jul 18, 2017 at 6:06 AM Post #1,803 of 2,617
Ok so here's what I mean about these things being challenging for me. Straight away I've run into a hurdle. How do I check the block size? I couldn't find anything in the properties. I used EaseUS to format my cards, and I can't find any info about any block size stuff in there either. Even googling I couldn't find how to check the block size of a micro sd. However, there is an option for '4k alignment' in EaseUS. Is that related? When I tried to apply it to my card it said 'the disk has already been aligned'. I'm assuming that means it's already '4k aligned', but then I worry could it actually mean it's already been aligned to another setting?

Cheers
To make your life easier, use this instead the next time you'll format a microSD card: http://ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm use this link instead; their domain seemed to be expired recently: http://www.mediafire.com/file/3pu84n3vv429hl9/guiformat.zip

Then, select the drive letter of your microSD card then set the allocation unit size (aka "block size") to 4096. You could now proceed on formatting your card to FAT32.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #1,805 of 2,617
Jul 18, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #1,806 of 2,617
Question, guys. Does a FAT32-formatted 256GB microSDXC card work on a single slot? I'm curious if someone here already tried doing that. I'm aware that officially, 128GB is the maximum on each slot. Can't remember exactly, but I think I read somewhere here at Head-Fi that a Rockboxed X3 could recognize a 200GB or 256GB on a single slot, similar to a Rockboxed Sandisk Sansa Clip Zip being able to read FAT32-formatted 64GB card (officially, the limit for that device is 32GB).

Jul 18, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #1,807 of 2,617
Question, guys. Does a FAT32-formatted 256GB microSDXC card work on a single slot? I'm curious if someone here already tried doing that. I'm aware that officially, 128GB is the maximum on each slot. Can't remember exactly, but I think I read somewhere here at Head-Fi that a Rockboxed X3 could recognize a 200GB or 256GB on a single slot, similar to a Rockboxed Sandisk Sansa Clip Zip being able to read FAT32-formatted 64GB card (officially, the limit for that device is 32GB).

Yes, I use Samsung EVO 256GB cards in mine.

Jul 18, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #1,809 of 2,617
Wow! So, is it possible for a Rockbox'd X3 to have a total of 512GB (256GB on each of the 2 slots) storage? :astonished: You said "cards", so you use 256GB on both slots?

Yes and Yes.

Jul 18, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #1,811 of 2,617
Damn. For that reason alone, I can say an X3, especially if it's Rockbox'd, is definitely a worthy buy.

I agree. Add to the fact that you can buy it for $50 right now, and it's one of the best deals in ChiFi at the current moment.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 5:17 AM Post #1,812 of 2,617
I did the rockboxing tonight. Seems to have all gone ahead without any initial problems. Very happy camper right now. Only problem is my second card isn't being recognised. I did put the .rockbox file on it so it should work, but the card is a fake piece of rubbish so I'm blaming it on that. Still waiting for the local electronics shop to get in my second micro sd. I gave upon getting them online after my first 3 were all fakes (and all fully refunded, thankfully). Haven't formatted card 2 to that 4K thing either (though it is FAT32), so that might be the reason too. I'll play around with it while I wait for my new card.

Massive, massive thanks to slaterlovesspam and mono-type, and the people who create, share, and update this firmware. It's hard to explain exactly how important a part of my life it is to have this whole portable music player thing sorted. It's HUGE.

Tomorrow I finally get to hear the new Roger Waters album (yeah I know his solo stuff sucks but this new one is actually awesome) without those dreaded, horrible pauses between tracks, and that inexplicable first second cut off. WOOHOO!!! Can't wait!

Jul 19, 2017 at 5:55 AM Post #1,814 of 2,617
I did the rockboxing tonight. Seems to have all gone ahead without any initial problems. Very happy camper right now. Only problem is my second card isn't being recognised. I did put the .rockbox file on it so it should work, but the card is a fake piece of rubbish so I'm blaming it on that. Still waiting for the local electronics shop to get in my second micro sd. I gave upon getting them online after my first 3 were all fakes (and all fully refunded, thankfully). Haven't formatted card 2 to that 4K thing either (though it is FAT32), so that might be the reason too. I'll play around with it while I wait for my new card.

Massive, massive thanks to slaterlovesspam and mono-type, and the people who create, share, and update this firmware. It's hard to explain exactly how important a part of my life it is to have this whole portable music player thing sorted. It's HUGE.

Tomorrow I finally get to hear the new Roger Waters album (yeah I know his solo stuff sucks but this new one is actually awesome) without those dreaded, horrible pauses between tracks, and that inexplicable first second cut off. WOOHOO!!! Can't wait!
Glad to know you're enjoying your X3 with its full potential unleashed by Rockbox. :D

Hmmm, reformatted card 2 to FAT32 with the 4092 thing, unpacked the .rockbox file to it, and still not accessible in Rockbox. Any suggestions? Could it be just that it's a rubbish card? I had no problems using it with the original firmware.
I'm betting it's a broken card. I have .rockbox folders on both my 2 cards, and Rockbox boots through either slot. Never mind. :p

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 6:03 AM Post #1,815 of 2,617
Hmmm, reformatted card 2 to FAT32 with the 4092 thing, unpacked the .rockbox file to it, and still not accessible in Rockbox. Any suggestions? Could it be just that it's a rubbish card? I had no problems using it with the original firmware.

Are you using file view or have you built a database? If you are using file view you will see sdcard 1 and you will see another folder simply called music (assuming you have all your albums in a folder called Music. That will be the other card. Nothing will say sdcard 2. If you have built a database then all of the music combined from both cards should show up in the database if everything is correctly tagged.

It's like rockbox is treating one of the cards as if it was the internal memory in devices that have internal memory plus one card. Many have been initially confused by this. The thread has gotten too long to sit and read the whole thing but many of the issues brought up recently have been discussed in the past particularly when rockbox first became available for the x3. You can, however, do a search within the thread to find past discussions.

In the stock firmware when you go to folder view it does say external disk1 and external disk2.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back