Review: Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves in Crystal Blue for the Shure SE846
May 4, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #392 of 436
May 12, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #393 of 436
Almost a year later and I decided to try my SCS sleeves on my SE846s again.  I found them hugely disappointing the first time around.  I had them recast, same result.  The molds still fit great, so I thought what the heck?

Same sleeves, same horrible sound.  It's like listening to a really good stereo through the shared wall of a condo, muffled, distant.  And to top it off, the left sleeve split while I was removing the IEM.

I've made a lot of purchases that I wish I could take back.  None more than these.

Jul 27, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #394 of 436
Just wanted to share me review for those interested in taking the plunge. Firstly wanted to thank moedawg for his detailed review as it completely influenced my purchase. I had known about Sensaphonics but thought the cost to get custom sleeves done was just insane. Over the years I started to become an audiophile and would spend big money on my portable setup. Currently I have the AK 120ii player with Shure SE846 with custom cable from Double Helix Cables. I also started becoming annoyed with the Shure foam tips and was always paranoid of losing SQ. I noticed moedawg's thread and decided to give the Sensaphonics custom sleeves a shot. Everything outlined in his review was 100% accurate. Claudia from Sensaphonics was incredible and answered all my questions quickly. For all you newbies make sure you make an appointment with a reputable audiologist (company). I know ear impressions seem standard but if the person doing them hasn't done them in awhile, the chance is much higher that they won't get a perfect impression and you don't want to do this again. From the time my impressions were sent to Chicago and when i received the custom sleeves it was about 4 weeks if I remember correctly. I also got the crystal blue color and I was very impressed. First couple days the seal was a bit uncomfortable, possibly because my ear canals might not be used to silicone being stuffed in there but after this short break-in period the seal was perfect and the SQ from my player was perfect!! No more squeezing of foam tips and after 1-2 hrs of listening I really don't notice them inside my ear. Looking back this was a purchase I don't regret for 1 second. I'm just hoping that the SE 846 will keep being a top of the line IEM so I know I have the best complement with the custom sleeves. I only did this because I fell in love with the 846 and at that point after spending 1200 on the IEMs, another 300 isn't that bad :grinning:

Aug 3, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #396 of 436
Has anyone managed to get these done in the UK? If not, anyone know of where is best to get them done in the UK including initial impressions?

You can - best to contact Claudia at saveyourears@sensaphonics.com for full and up-to-date details. Gisele Flower at http://www.aid2hearing.co.uk/ (for impressions) is a great contact, and was very nice when I met her last year in London.

If you are coming to CanJam London, hope to see you there next week!

Aug 6, 2016 at 1:49 AM Post #397 of 436
Today Sensaphonics' website acted up pretty bad. I proceeded to check out to get an error message indicating billing/card address mismatch. So tried to checkout again, same error. The surprise is that my card got charged twice and no orders got through !! It's Friday and it was after working hours, so have to wait till Monday. The Sensaphonincs folks need to get their payment processing system altogether; such a bizarre incident. So frustrated here. Doesn't seem like a good start...

Aug 10, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #398 of 436
UPDATE: So I contacted Claudia and @jackkontney, and they were helpful. My transactions cleared after 2 business days, and Claudia was so helpful to send me all the transaction records. It seems that my card was declined because of extensive fraud protection measures that the sensaphonics payment processing system deploys. Claudia sent me an order form and offered that I send it along with my ear impressions, and then process my payment on the phone as soon as they receive my order. Things seem to be getting better now.

Oct 7, 2016 at 5:00 AM Post #399 of 436
Finally got my sensaphonics custom sleeves for Shure se846. Nothing comes close to the fit of these. They just fit perfectly. There's an intimacy factor (sound wise) that I couldn't get with any other tips, not to mention the excellent isolation and comfort. Well done Sensaphonics, and thanks for the excellent customer service.

Oct 14, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #401 of 436
Finally got my sensaphonics custom sleeves for Shure se846. Nothing comes close to the fit of these. They just fit perfectly. There's an intimacy factor (sound wise) that I couldn't get with any other tips, not to mention the excellent isolation and comfort. Well done Sensaphonics, and thanks for the excellent customer service.

Well said - thanks for the kind words!

Oct 14, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #402 of 436
Nov 22, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #403 of 436
So I'm in a dilemma here. I had my sleeves made February of this year, when I got them they were fine. Great isolation and seal, but now I get almost no isolation from them. They still fit my ears comfortably but I can literally hear every bit of outside noise with ease with them on and my headphones at low volume, but when I originally got them that wasn't possible. What gives? Have my ears changed slightly since I bought them? Did the sleeves lose their shape slightly?

Nov 22, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #404 of 436
So I'm in a dilemma here. I had my sleeves made February of this year, when I got them they were fine. Great isolation and seal, but now I get almost no isolation from them. They still fit my ears comfortably but I can literally hear every bit of outside noise with ease with them on and my headphones at low volume, but when I originally got them that wasn't possible. What gives? Have my ears changed slightly since I bought them? Did the sleeves lose their shape slightly?

You can be certain of one thing: the shape of your sleeves has not changed. It just doesn't happen without extreme conditions, even over several years of use.

Ear canals do change shape, usually as a side effect to other physical changes in the body. Changes in body weight are a common cause. Aging is only a factor in young users, who can change rapidly in their teen years. I imagine there are medical things that could cause a change as well, but I'm certainly no expert.

If you're getting no isolation, you should also be getting virtually no bass response. Is that the case? Also, have you tried them with universal tips to isolate seal as the issue?

Story time: Not suggesting this is the case, but we've had long-term Sensaphonics users come to us with similar comments. Asked to put on their IEMs, turns out there were multiple cases where they had simply gotten out of the habit of full, deep insertion. Convinced themselves they must have a blown driver or broken wire inside. Put them all the way in, problem solved. And these were seasoned, longtime users who make their living on concert stages. Point being: things happen.

My suggestion is seeing your audiologist to check your fit, and/or calling Sensaphonics to discuss your experience.

Good luck!

Nov 22, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #405 of 436
You can be certain of one thing: the shape of your sleeves has not changed. It just doesn't happen without extreme conditions, even over several years of use.

Ear canals do change shape, usually as a side effect to other physical changes in the body. Changes in body weight are a common cause. Aging is only a factor in young users, who can change rapidly in their teen years. I imagine there are medical things that could cause a change as well, but I'm certainly no expert.

If you're getting no isolation, you should also be getting virtually no bass response. Is that the case? Also, have you tried them with universal tips to isolate seal as the issue?

Story time: Not suggesting this is the case, but we've had long-term Sensaphonics users come to us with similar comments. Asked to put on their IEMs, turns out there were multiple cases where they had simply gotten out of the habit of full, deep insertion. Convinced themselves they must have a blown driver or broken wire inside. Put them all the way in, problem solved. And these were seasoned, longtime users who make their living on concert stages. Point being: things happen.

My suggestion is seeing your audiologist to check your fit, and/or calling Sensaphonics to discuss your experience.

Good luck!

Yeah as far as the bass goes it really comes to life if I push them in and hold them there, which is sort of how it was when I got them.

I'm 27 years old, I did lose a little weight since I got them but we are talking between 5-8 pounds. Is that enough to make such a difference?

Yeah with normal foam tips the seal and isolation is fine. I'll have to give sensaphonics a call sometime here soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back