[REVIEW]: Future Sonics MG5Pro 10mm Dynamic Driver Custom Fit In-Ear Monitor
May 18, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #46 of 88
I'm looking forward to hearing scott's impressions after he has a solid amount of time with them.

As for soundstage, I am oriented toward the sound of live music, which is just one preference. In a live setting, you have all the instruments playing and their sound is subtly coming together and playing off the elements in the soundspace. There may be amplification (with speakers that are dynamic drivers, of course) or unamplified. For this, I think a single dynamic driver does very well in presenting a realistic soundstage.

Having said that, if a separated sort of sound is one's grail, then a multi-crossover system is definitely going to be best for that. That can be like a mixed recording where each instrument is almost recorded separately and pasted in. Most multi-ba's are tuned to try and give more of a hint of a single-speaker sound, but there is always some of this separated effect. When you have a sealed, non-vented system, the soundstage is going to be smaller (or requires tricks to sound large which are a bit artificial), but you will have a greater degree of instrument separation with a loss of coherency. So, everything's a trade-off, at least in my opinion and experience.

Excellent message.  When I give the subject due consideration I find myself agreeing with you.  I definitely enjoy the 'separated effect' possible with multiple BAs.  This probably plays into my past preference for Mirage Ominsat speakers; they were designed to reflect sound 360 degrees creating an enormous sound field.

I'm still very curious to hear more about the MG5pro.  I'd like a less delicate CIEM that has no problems with moisture.

May 19, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #47 of 88
How is this compared to DITA answer? I'm interested in owning high end single dynamic IEM or CIEM but since there's future sonics dealer in my country, it's not easy to get one so the alternative would be DITA with custom eartips.

May 21, 2015 at 11:51 PM Post #50 of 88
They are here!

Great! I'd suggest to play 'em super loud in a drawer overnight to get the diaphragm to flex a bit and then to play around with the fit--get a vacuum and see what that's like (bad) and then break it and get a much lighter seal (what you want). Enjoy!

May 22, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #52 of 88
Initial impressions after a few hours...

I think the best descriptions for these are "musical" and "great acoustics." Think of when you go to a live show in a venue with great acoustics. You don't talk about instrument placement, 3D imaging, extended highs, etc. You simply get lost in the music. I saw Damien Rice at the Fox Theater in Oakland last month. He opened with an un-amplified (no vocal mic either) version of Cannonball and it drew everyone in. It was dead silent except for his voice and guitar. That experience of enjoying music is what the MG5Pros recreate, albeit on a smaller scale.

However, I'm not sure about the fit. Kathy had to take 4-5 impressions of my left ear because of some cartilage inside and even the best one felt tight. In the final casing, my left ear is still tight. My right ear actually feels like it is right on the edge of losing the seal, it definitely loses it when I open my mouth all the way as if singing. I almost am not aware of anything in my right ear except for the weight of the casing on the outside. Kathy put them next to each other and noticed the left is longer (by 2mm according to my measurements). I am going to give them a week for my ears to adjust per David's instructions, but I'm thinking the left ear needs 1mm taken off the length and the right ear needs 1mm added to the length and maybe needs to be slightly thicker.

May 26, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #53 of 88
The word that came to mind while listening this morning is "body." Best of Styx was playing. The kick drum that punctuates the acapella opening of Renegade actually pushed air against my ears. I have always considered Tommy Shaw's voice to be nasally, but the Future Sonics' brought out more body from his chest so that the nasal quality was less pronounced.

Jun 16, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #56 of 88
I have had these back from adjustment for about a week now. The fit is spot on.

I will use a quote from Alexander Dumble describing how he voices his guitar amplifiers, "When the air becomes electric, that's the right sound, no matter what the one is. It's that sound exciting the senses." That is how I would describe the MG5Pros. They capture how live music sounds in real space.

Jun 24, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #58 of 88
Had a revelatory moment this morning listening to Elton John's eponymous second album. I have listened to this album many times through various sources and speakers ranging from a car CD player to a high end turntable > single ended tube amps > Lowther speakers. Listening through the MG5Pros this morning was the first time I noticed how well produced this album is. The placement and separation of vocals and instruments is spot on. For instance, I had never noticed that the kick drum on Your Song is panned hard right. The amount of detail present through the MG5Pros while still conveying the whole cloth of each song is amazing.

Just sayin'.

Jul 30, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #60 of 88
I just received my Mg5Pro's a few hours ago. I was very pleased to find the fit absolutely perfect! Try as I might, I am unable to break the seal but yet it is not a 'vacuum" seal. They just seem to disappear once they are in place. David did say that the comfort would become even better over the next few weeks as my ear cartilage "makes friends" with the IEM's.

As I was hoping, the sound is very lifelike and tonally well-balanced. Instrumental and vocal timbre is spot-on. I can't really compare them to my Mg6Pro as they were sent back to Future Sonics when I sent in my impressions. David did say that there was a HUGE difference between them and the new impressions and that it would take a full rebuild to match the fit of the new Mg5.

Again I must compliment FS for their stellar customer service as well as my audiologist for his expertise in making very precise monitor impressions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back