[REVIEW]: Future Sonics MG5Pro 10mm Dynamic Driver Custom Fit In-Ear Monitor
Jul 30, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #16 of 88
Okay guys! I'll definitely do a comparison with the MG5pro and K10, that'll come first. Next, I'll be happy to compare my set of jh16fp (I got them a few months ago, but didn't do a formal review since I figured there a few of those out) with the MG5pro. If we don't go overboard with the off-topic stuff, I can even make a few comments on the K10 vs jh16fp. How's that sound?

Sounds awesome.  Looking for mg5pro vs jh16fp, then jh16fp vs k10.

Jul 30, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #17 of 88
Okay guys! I'll definitely do a comparison with the MG5pro and K10, that'll come first. Next, I'll be happy to compare my set of jh16fp (I got them a few months ago, but didn't do a formal review since I figured there a few of those out) with the MG5pro. If we don't go overboard with the off-topic stuff, I can even make a few comments on the K10 vs jh16fp. How's that sound?

popcorn.gif
atsmile.gif
beerchug.gif

Jul 31, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #18 of 88
MG5pro versus Kaiser 10 comparison is up!

Let me know what you think of it!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/727942/review-future-sonics-mg5pro-10mm-dynamic-driver-custom-fit-in-ear-monitor#post_10737632

Noble Kaiser 10 ($1600) versus the Future Sonics MG5pro ($750):

Well the K10 needs no introduction, it’s the flagship of the Noble Audio line and one of the very best CIEMs available. Here’s my full review of the K10.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/685225/review-noble-audio-kaiser-10-10-driver-custom-fit-in-ear-monitor

It has a full, rich sound from the full, powerful bass to the warm, thick midrange to the smooth and bright treble. It does this top to bottom with excellent clarity and detail. While no earphone is for everyone, the K10 does very well at practically everything and sounds fantastic. The main reason it’s not my “go-to” earphone is that I treat my set like gold! The acoustic-filter-free, dynamic driver design of the MG5pro means I can run out of the house with it after a quick after-shower ear-swabbing and I’m not as concerned of the long-term effects of moisture (a concern that holds for the jh16fp and all my other CIEMs as well).

The MG5pro is less than half the price of the K10 and it actually competes. I would say that the main difference at this level is tuning. The MG5pro is tuned as a stage/studio monitor, so part of the idea is to present music without richness or warmth added. It’s a little more “matte” without added shine to the music so a musician can hear what’s really being played. I happen to really like that and I know it is some people’s preference. The K10, on the other hand, has a richer sound with more warmth in the midrange and sparkle in the treble. I think many people will like how the K10 gives that little extra colorful note to music. It’s just a very nice musical experience. I like it a lot as well. Neither approach is better, per se, it’s really according to what you want to hear.

Treble: The K10 has amazing treble, very smooth, ultra extended. It’s bright but almost always non-fatiguing. The MG5pro actually does very well in the treble as well. Both are well extended in treble. I’m not concerned past 16-17khz (several pro audio engineers have separately defined “air” in music as being from 10-12khz), but the K10 has a set of ultra-high tweeters so it probably extends higher… I’ll say that people who want more sparkle but no harshness will find it in the K10. It’s a bit brighter than the MG5pro. For those who want to avoid any trace of harshness in the upper frequencies but don’t want a dark sound, the MG5pro delivers, which is a real accomplishment. It also has a really accurate, nice weight to notes in the treble range.

Midrange: The K10 is warmer, thicker, richer, more colorful, as I’ve mentioned, while not sacrificing clarity and detail. It’s a beautiful sound. The MG5pro is more of a monitor sound, accurate and clear. Both have excellent timbre, but it’s hard to beat a dynamic driver. Both CIEMS have a rise in the vocal region as this suits the way the human ear prioritizes how it perceives sound. Without it, I’ve found earphones sound dull over the long term even if they wow in the short term. Both of these earphones are for long term enjoyment! The MG5pro has a bit more of a rise, but still less than other stage monitors I’ve heard.

Bass: The K10 has excellent bass, with two of the largest armatures you can buy dedicated to bass. It has good sub-bass extension and a good balance between mid-bass and sub-bass with a tilt toward mid-bass. The MG5pro actually has less bass in quantity. However, it has something special—a real air-moving quality thanks to the dynamic driver in a vented shell design. It also has amazing punch. The MG5pro actually has a more detailed, textured, more real bass sound with more sub-bass rumble available. Think of it as having less quantity generally, but more power in reserve. And this is with the very firm statement that the K10 has excellent, absolutely top-tier bass.

Isolation: The K10’s closed shell is a half step better than the MG5pro’s vent design. The MG5pro is better than most dynamic drivers for isolation, so it does isolate excellently for noisy train and long plane flights.

Soundstage: Most of what we think of as earphone soundstage comes from cues in the recording. An earphone like the MG5pro will seem to change soundstages with the recording based on these musical cues. The K10, of course, is similar. The MG5pro has a slightly more natural sounding soundstage with absolutely perfect coherence (single driver), while the K10 will have the greater separation of a multi-driver design and still very good coherence.

Overall: These are both excellent earphones with different tunings which will appeal to different people (or the same person if you’re me). I think technically, the K10 slightly edges the MG5pro in things like isolation, detail resolution, and separation. The K10 does have more bass quantity, which could be better for some listeners. I think the K10’s supremely well-designed, warm, colorful, detailed tuning will make it a more popular choice for many listeners who just want the most musical experience you can find in pretty much any earphone. It also has the art of Dr. John Moulton—the best appearance of any earphone on the market.

The MG5pro is a great monitor CIEM for less than half the price of the price of the K10. Its clear, accurate mids with a boost in the vocal range, its bright, extended, non-fatiguing treble and its amazing, world-beating bass with not overmuch quantity can stand with the best earphones on the market. It’s an amazing achievement and for those looking for the feel of live music and an organic, real sound, it comes out over much more expensive rivals. The MG5pro’s durability means that it’s the earphone that’s in my ears the most. While no earphone is right for everyone, the K10 and MG5pro are each excellent choices for anyone looking for the high-end sound they provide. I'll also add that both Noble Audio and Future Sonics have the best customer service in the business, so I feel confident recommending either of their earphones.

Jul 31, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #19 of 88
Awesome review Kunlun!  The one thing thats captivating me is that the dynamic driver is able to move more air.  I have done car audio and have my own small home theatre system and would you say that the port in the mg5 acts similar to the port of a HT sub which offers a bit of umph?  Thats what I'm thinking and the k10 would be similar to a sealed sub for more quality bass?

Jul 31, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #20 of 88
  Awesome review Kunlun!  The one thing thats captivating me is that the dynamic driver is able to move more air.  I have done car audio and have my own small home theatre system and would you say that the port in the mg5 acts similar to the port of a HT sub which offers a bit of umph?  Thats what I'm thinking and the k10 would be similar to a sealed sub for more quality bass?

Thanks, Hawaiiancerveza! Yes, I'd say dynamic drivers are special, or at least this one is. The moving air quality does give the most real bass feel one can get from an earphone, to my ears.

However, I would say that the vent system for the MG5pro is special as well. It offers good isolation, for one. I think it's a bit different in the end result from a home theater subwoofer, though. For one thing, check out my review and my comparison with the k10 one more time. If you notice, I said the MG5pro has more detail in the bass, and less quantity, generally (until the music really calls for it). So, if I read you correctly (?), it's the opposite from what you are expecting. I tried to explain it in the review and comparison. As an example, I was listening to a very well recorded binaural CD of Also Sprach Zarathustra by Strauss and Saint-Saens' 3rd symphony. The timpani have their fully textured sound with the MG5pro. So, there's the moving air, but it's not at the expense of detail and control. Does that make sense?

Aug 1, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #21 of 88
  Thanks, Hawaiiancerveza! Yes, I'd say dynamic drivers are special, or at least this one is. The moving air quality does give the most real bass feel one can get from an earphone, to my ears.

However, I would say that the vent system for the MG5pro is special as well. It offers good isolation, for one. I think it's a bit different in the end result from a home theater subwoofer, though. For one thing, check out my review and my comparison with the k10 one more time. If you notice, I said the MG5pro has more detail in the bass, and less quantity, generally (until the music really calls for it). So, if I read you correctly (?), it's the opposite from what you are expecting. I tried to explain it in the review and comparison. As an example, I was listening to a very well recorded binaural CD of Also Sprach Zarathustra by Strauss and Saint-Saens' 3rd symphony. The timpani have their fully textured sound with the MG5pro. So, there's the moving air, but it's not at the expense of detail and control. Does that make sense?

Ah ok I understand now.  Thanks for the clarity!  Sounds like the mg5pro is a good grab!

Aug 1, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #22 of 88
Wow, great comparison Kunlun! Seriously very helpful. It really seems like the $400-800 range is really filling up with some great bang/buck CIEMs these days. These seem like a great price-to-performance earphone from Future Sonics! Just out of curiosity, have you heard the MG7 from Future Sonics Kunlun? If so, how does the bass compare?

You generally described the bass as less in quantity than the K10, but with more sub bass rumble capability thanks to the dynamic driver, which can match the K10 for output if the recording calls for it. Am I reading that correctly? Does that mean the MG5Pro bass is more "chameleon-like" where it can sit in the background for some acoustic material and jump out with some serious kick for electronic? Also, as far as quantity goes, you said the MG5Pros are slightly above neutral in bass - if you had to put a number on it, how much of a boost would you say? 5-10 dBs? More/Less?

Thanks again for the awesome review and comparison Kunlun! Really a great read. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the JH16 vs the MG5Pro/K10 
biggrin.gif

Aug 1, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #24 of 88
  Ah ok I understand now.  Thanks for the clarity!  Sounds like the mg5pro is a good grab!

Glad I can help! Let me know if you have any more questions!

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #26 of 88
Very nice review! I had my MG6 Pro for more than three years and I am still loving it. I listen to many styles of music and it does wonderful with Classical music and Metallica. The MG6 is my Reference source.

Aug 2, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #28 of 88
Okay! Some comments on the bass and speed of the MG5pro:
Quote:
  Wow, great comparison Kunlun! Seriously very helpful. It really seems like the $400-800 range is really filling up with some great bang/buck CIEMs these days. These seem like a great price-to-performance earphone from Future Sonics! Just out of curiosity, have you heard the MG7 from Future Sonics Kunlun? If so, how does the bass compare?

You generally described the bass as less in quantity than the K10, but with more sub bass rumble capability thanks to the dynamic driver, which can match the K10 for output if the recording calls for it. Am I reading that correctly? Does that mean the MG5Pro bass is more "chameleon-like" where it can sit in the background for some acoustic material and jump out with some serious kick for electronic? Also, as far as quantity goes, you said the MG5Pros are slightly above neutral in bass - if you had to put a number on it, how much of a boost would you say? 5-10 dBs? More/Less?

Thanks again for the awesome review and comparison Kunlun! Really a great read. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the JH16 vs the MG5Pro/K10 
biggrin.gif

Hi Wild, yes, I have the Atrio (with mg7 --btw, anything with "pro" in the name is the line of CIEM drivers, without the pro is the universal driver line). I'll do a comparison with the Atrio and also MG6pro after the jh16fp... But the short version is that the MG5pro CIEM has a much more controlled bass with less quantity overall, more punch and much more balance than the Atrio.

The MG5pro is definitely the king of chameleon-like bass. You've got it exactly. It's great for string quartets or folk acoustic music where there's balance and the lead violin or singer with a guitar comes first as it should in those genres. Tonal balance is superior than for bassy earphones. However, there's a lot of power and depth for bassy music. For the MG5pro, I said the bass is north of neutral because I often notice "neutral" bass usually used as a code for slightly anemic sounding bass in other reviews and I want to avoid giving anything like that impression here. I'd say the bass has a little extra subbass so you can feel it when it's called for, I'm not sure of the dB but it's definitely less than the K10 in midbass and jh16fp in midbass and overall. The Noble 4C has a well extended flat bass to my ears that others have said lacks bass presence below. I'd say we're talking several dB above that for sure because the MG5pro has a bass that is fully present no question whatsoever, just that it's not more than the midrange and treble, and it's those two which the MG5pro allows to take the lead when they should for many styles of music. Does that make sense?

Oh and how's the speed on these bad boys? Would these work for faster paced music?

*Now my 20 questions are up 
wink.gif

Ask as many questions as you like!

For this, I played a youtube video of Derek Roddy playing fast bass while at the same time playing a youtube video of Modeselektor ft. TTC - Dancing Box. Try it, it's fun. Anyway, the MG5pro held up nicely with this speed test. Naturally, if one listens to 99% of only one genre of music, then I'm sure there's a specialty CIEM out there for that, but the MG5pro is game for pretty much every genre you throw at it.

Aug 3, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #29 of 88
Wow, great analysis Kunlun. Pretty much summed up most of the questions I had 
biggrin.gif
 Can't wait to see the comparison to the JH16/MG6Pro! Keep up the great work Kunlun, it's much appreciated!

As for the MG5s, these seem like a home run for Future Sonics, so hopefully more people catch on to these beauties!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back