Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jul 23, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #20,776 of 24,655
Okja 6/10. it is the kind of innocence vs cruel world I would expect to see in an anime( I'm pretty sure I would have preferred it as an anime). the story is a bit hard for young kids, when most of it really feels like a kid movie. so I'm not too sure about the public target? I personally got caught by the candid moments, and getting caught by anything is all I really ask of a movie so I enjoyed it overall. but I 'd expect most of my friends to leave after 10mn when you already know the story and how it will end.
ps: "Cruella" annoyed me.
ps2: the kid learns the English she needs in like, 3 days... I know we go with exaggerated stereotypes the entire movie but that's one strong Asian right there.

Jul 23, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #20,778 of 24,655
Couldn't help myself.

War for the Planet of the Apes. 6.5/10

Ok, so I grew up on the original POA series so I have a soft spot for the film franchise that even Tim Burton could not kill:)

This one, for fans of the current series will no doubt score an 8 or above. It looks good, is wildly entertaining, fast paced and ties into the whole schema of the original series well. Explanations and little nuggets abound here for the faithful.

For all that, after about the first 15 minutes where the overall plot is outlined, the main story which is actually a subplot turns out to be none other than Apocalypse Now with Apes. So much so that the director lays that out for you in case you haven't twigged in to the overly obvious, by actually writing it in graffiti on a tunnel wall. About what I would expect from a guy who does not even bother to credit Pierre Boulle .

So you have Woody trying to be Kurtz, Andy as Cptn Willard, Steve Zahn as Lance. Even the semi ending is a direct rip off of Coppola's "This is the End" scene. What is not put on screen due to I guess keeping the pg rating, is covered off by Woody's expositional speech to Caesar.

Jul 24, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #20,779 of 24,655
Started watching Okja and I don't get it. It's supposed to be a pig but it has the anatomy of a hippo for most parts. It poops like a hippo and all essentiel its a hippo not a pig? Only the ears is more pig like

Jul 24, 2017 at 5:06 AM Post #20,780 of 24,655
In Bruges, it's 9/10 rates to me. Very beautiful production, the killer is isolated in bruges which consider a hell to him. He cannot leave until he faced his own karma. I really enjoy this story, really engaging. It reminds what I have go through the years when I was a graduate student. Really love it!

Jul 24, 2017 at 7:47 AM Post #20,782 of 24,655
Hmm dunkirk or war of the apes on cinema. Dunkirk is probably more bombastic but then I have the worst could so may be painful. But have a feeling war of the apes is better. But then I never liked apocalypse now and thought it got worse with the redux.

Jul 24, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #20,783 of 24,655
Hmm dunkirk or war of the apes on cinema. Dunkirk is probably more bombastic but then I have the worst could so may be painful. But have a feeling war of the apes is better. But then I never liked apocalypse now and thought it got worse with the redux.

I love Apocalypse Now personally, but agree that the redux was not an improvement - that whole French colony scene in particular was really detrimental to the pacing of the film and added nothing IMO. It's one of those cases where I'll take the theatrical cut over the extended/special edition any day.

Jul 24, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #20,784 of 24,655

"Hacksaw Ridge"
[HBO - 8.2/10]: Exciting, inspiring story. Good vehicle for Mel Gibson's major film effort return. Very reminiscent of "Were Were Young Once...And Soldiers." I enjoyed the film, but I thought that the performances were somewhat "wooden." Don't recall seeing Terese Palmer before. She is beautiful! Just got a new subwoofer. It got a good workout during the naval bombardment sequence.

Jul 24, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #20,785 of 24,655
I love Apocalypse Now personally, but agree that the redux was not an improvement - that whole French colony scene in particular was really detrimental to the pacing of the film and added nothing IMO. It's one of those cases where I'll take the theatrical cut over the extended/special edition any day.

I am in the same boat. Redux is a case where the powers that be had the right idea in the first place by putting Coppola under control. After about the millionth use of the whole smoke theme I was ready to walk out.

Jul 24, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #20,786 of 24,655
Started watching Okja and I don't get it. It's supposed to be a pig but it has the anatomy of a hippo for most parts. It ****s like a hippo and all essentiel its a hippo not a pig? Only the ears is more pig like
It is a genetically modified livestock being close to a pig. The movie hinted that it has some hippo features, but doesn't delve into the background of the genetic sources besides calling them super pigs.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #20,788 of 24,655

"Hacksaw Ridge"
[HBO - 8.2/10]: Exciting, inspiring story. Good vehicle for Mel Gibson's major film effort return. Very reminiscent of "Were Were Young Once...And Soldiers." I enjoyed the film, but I thought that the performances were somewhat "wooden." Don't recall seeing Terese Palmer before. She is beautiful! Just got a new subwoofer. It got a good workout during the naval bombardment sequence.
I thought the film was ok, would give 7/10.

I thought the story was a bit dry, and not much characterization. Battle scenes were good, but the scenario of a protagonist being against using guns made it a pretty dull scenario. We get it, the protagonist has ideals. Way too idealized.

From what I understans, the protagonist is suppose to be a medic? I thought they don't carry guns. I didn't understand this bit. Maybe the screenplay just added this complications for dramatic effect, but not realistic.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #20,789 of 24,655
It is a genetically modified livestock being close to a pig. The movie hinted that it has some hippo features, but doesn't delve into the background of the genetic sources besides calling them super pigs.
as it doesn't remotely look like a pig, I assumed the super pig thing was one more marketing trick by Cruella to make people think that it's not so different from usual food/animals.
which is stupid for an international company when you think about it. picking the pig as a comparison would exclude all the Muslim market.

Jul 24, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #20,790 of 24,655
Saw Spiderman Homecoming because my friend chickened out on Valarian due to the poor reviews. 7.8/10. Pretty good super hero flick, the comedy was on-point for once in a Spiderman movie. I'm getting burned out on Marvel films, there's.just.so.many of them now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back