flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
May 20, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #1,487 of 39,414
Also, we've breached this topic before, but rank #13 seems very low from a relative perspective. If you look at its average and individual scores, they're not low by any means. Theoretically, I could have done a shootout with 40 iems. There are an infinite number of high-performing iems that could have been included. In that case, the number 30 or 40 would have still been an excellent iem with a large fanbase.

Take a look at the remaining iems, and think which should be lower. Many of them have never gotten much attention or 'hype' such as the Maestro V2, UE18+, S-EM9, NT6pro, Prelude, Samba, Dream, or 5-Way. So people might not know what to make of them, even though they are equally excellent iems. Vega has gotten a lot of attention, since Campfire is a popular brand. This also drives expectation, based on brand recognition. The other iems simply don't have that luxury so to speak.

Last edited:
May 20, 2017 at 8:13 AM Post #1,488 of 39,414
I am curious though, why do you guys think CA Vega got so much hype? Is it because of the previous success of the Andromeda or maybe because of the looks?

May 20, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #1,489 of 39,414
I am curious though, why do you guys think CA Vega got so much hype? Is it because of the previous success of the Andromeda or maybe because of the looks?
Well I think Andromeda was the biggest success of 2016, at least when it comes to iems. It has a versatile tuning that appeals to a wide range of people, and was offered at an exceptional price; similar to something like the Chord Mojo before. If Chord were to release a dap for $800 or so, it would also get a lot of attention. Positive brand recognition :)

May 20, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #1,490 of 39,414
I guess the Vega also got some recognition :

- Because there are not so many audiophile bass head iems
- Because there are not so many high end dynamic driver iems

And most importantly, sorry to mention the elephant in the room, but Campfire, like some other very hyped brands, are sponsors of headfi, and some other blogs, so headfi and these blogs will give them a lot of exposure. And praise them whatever they truly think about them...

May 20, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #1,493 of 39,414
Any fans of wine (or beer) here? Fun to see the parallels critics/ratings/wine forums and this thread with concepts of objectivity, subjectivity, individual differences, collectors, consumers, "authorities", anxiety/obsession, marketing/branding, pecking orders, etc...

I say all of this while I check back 20 times a day to review the board....

May 20, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #1,494 of 39,414
Any fans of wine (or beer) here? Fun to see the parallels critics/ratings/wine forums and this thread with concepts of objectivity, subjectivity, individual differences, collectors, consumers, "authorities", anxiety/obsession, marketing/branding, pecking orders, etc...

I'm no connoisseur, I just drink it! :ksc75smile: Though I am a fan of the Coppola wines!

May 20, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #1,496 of 39,414
i have to agre with the previous post

4/4 seems more spot on that 5/2 and more deserving of the 1st place prize

can you tell us which one did the 4/4 miss and which ones did the 5/2 predict correctly , so we can say if he deserves no1 ?

when i told you to get a mathematical points thing , getting exact correct placing for positions 1-5 awarded something like 15-12-10-8-5 points

while simply getting an iem inside the top-5 (at a wrong place) was like 2 points for each correct prediction

seems like the 4/4 guy would get way more points with that system

just my 2 (analytical/math/rainman thinking) cents here , ofc

May 20, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #1,497 of 39,414
You know yesterday I was thinking, with Deca down and Vega next, Bob is the real victim of this shootout. True story.

I hope you have a spare bottle of scotch to make it through these challenging times buddy.
Nic I took your advice and bought a hugely big bottle of scotch. The first part of the evening went well:
Tori-Black-Ass-Shake2[1].gif

But then things went south in a hurry:

May 20, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #1,498 of 39,414
i have to agre with the previous post

4/4 seems more spot on that 5/2 and more deserving of the 1st place prize

can you tell us which one did the 4/4 miss and which ones did the 5/2 predict correctly , so we can say if he deserves no1 ?

when i told you to get a mathematical points thing , getting exact correct placing for positions 1-5 awarded something like 15-12-10-8-5 points

while simply getting an iem inside the top-5 (at a wrong place) was like 2 points for each correct prediction

seems like the 4/4 guy would get way more points with that system

just my 2 (analytical/math/rainman thinking) cents here , ofc
This can only be resolved by.........
A DEATHMATCH!!!!!

Last edited:
May 20, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #1,499 of 39,414

I like dark beers, and a dark warm signature to my IEM's and headphones. Mind you I drink the lighter beers such as Brown Porters too, and as such like a more smooth neutral sound, as well.

May 20, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #1,500 of 39,414
I like dark beers, and a dark warm signature to my IEM's and headphones. Mind you I drink the lighter beers such as Brown Porters too, and as such like a more smooth neutral sound, as well.

That makes perfect sense :) I don't drink any beer or alcohol, and I like silence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back