Pictures Of Your High End System II (Same Rules Apply)
Jan 7, 2017 at 5:47 AM Post #646 of 1,052

This is one of my DAT recorders, a Sony PCM-7010F. I have a pair which are connected to a Sony RM-D7200 edit controller. You would have a hard time getting one of these which still works off  ebay; however, you can find the Sony PCM-7040 which offers similar performance. These professional Sony 7000 series units have AD/DA converters which seem to me to be as good as anything I've ever heard. I purchased my units back in 1994 for about $17,000 to archive radio commercials which my advertising agency produced. Just a few years later these recorders were made obsolete by MP3 and computer audio. Nevertheless, nothing, and I do mean nothing, has ever sounded better to me than these Sony DAT recorders.

Jan 7, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #647 of 1,052
Hello. First time post here. I am getting ready to buy a $10,000 home system. Magnaplaner 3.7i with Parasound Halo amp and Project turntable. Is there anything I should be looking at different. I love Magnaplaner and the Parasound Halo seems vertical enough for me and future additions. Thank you

Jan 7, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #648 of 1,052
Hello. First time post here. I am getting ready to buy a $10,000 home system. Magnaplaner 3.7i with Parasound Halo amp and Project turntable. Is there anything I should be looking at different. I love Magnaplaner and the Parasound Halo seems vertical enough for me and future additions. Thank you

This is probably the wrong thread, but if you're spending $10k on anything audio you should probably really listen to it first.  I've heard plenty of speaker systems well into 5 figures that sound like rubbish.

Jan 8, 2017 at 2:57 AM Post #649 of 1,052

This is probably the wrong thread, but if you're spending $10k on anything audio you should probably really listen to it first.  I've heard plenty of speaker systems well into 5 figures that sound like rubbish.

I was about to say the very same (advice) thing. Maybe mjphoto45 is going to do that.

IMO the ultimate way to test hifi gear is get it home for a demo, and if possible for a day or so minus the dealer present. The first 30 minutes can impress, the next 6 hours can take a different direction. Also before the home demo get some varied store demos of other gear at that price range. Forget the brochures, specs and such. listen to what is in front of you, then like I said, get a home demo.

Electrostatic panels can be difficult to position in the home to get the best out of them. Have to talked to other users on other forums about them?

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/1086093-official-magnepan-owners-thread-150.html

The above journey cannot be rushed, it is a drawn out process. If you try and speed it up you will be on the buy/sell bandwagon with losses along the way and frustration will set in.

The other thing IMO is take a hifi buddy with you for another opinion, someone who already has a decent system.

Don't forget buying used. Maybe those speakers you end up hearing can be bought used at 60% for example, and spend the extra on a better amp / TT.

Lastly, the dealer units you get to hear, don't assume he will have the best TT/Amp/Speakers for you are your price level. You will probably find a better amp (for example) somewhere else. Dealers tend to stick to a small group of manufacturers and push just those units. Sometimes they can go well together, other times not so good. And better performance may be had by trying other units elsewhere.

Actually are you buying used?

Welcome to the world of high end audio! Good luck.

Jan 8, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #650 of 1,052
Are there any less expensive alternatives to Jriver that can be controlled via Android for multimedia (music/video/pictures)? 

Thanks,
RH

Jan 8, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #651 of 1,052
Are there any less expensive alternatives to Jriver that can be controlled via Android for multimedia (music/video/pictures)? 

Thanks,
RH

No, but there is Plex. and HIFI cast[Android full version is $1.99] that works with Chromecast which supports 24/96 gapeless FLAC files or 24/192 bot not gapeless..

Jan 9, 2017 at 1:56 AM Post #652 of 1,052
The higher the quality of the source software allows more information down stream for players and cabling to relay on to pre / power and lastly speakers or headphones.

If the speakers/headphones don't receive it, they will never spit out what was lost or never there.

Jan 9, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #653 of 1,052
  The higher the quality of the source software allows more information down stream for players and cabling to relay on to pre / power and lastly speakers or headphones.

If the speakers/headphones don't receive it, they will never spit out what was lost or never there.

Higher the quality of the source software? Can you give an example of a high quality source software in comparison to a low quality source software? I'm confused about it. Are you talking about recording software?

Jan 9, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #655 of 1,052
Quite simply, the better the source the better the results. If you start with studio master the chance of delivering best results are greatest vs. Low quality, say 128 MP3 file.

If your CD player cannot reproduce a bass drum low frequency you will not ever have the chance to hear it down stream.

Each link closer to the source needs to be as good or better to hear the source material otherwise information is lost, period.

Jan 9, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #656 of 1,052
Quite simply, the better the source the better the results. If you start with studio master the chance of delivering best results are greatest vs. Low quality, say 128 MP3 file.

If your CD player cannot reproduce a bass drum low frequency you will not ever have the chance to hear it down stream.

Each link closer to the source needs to be as good or better to hear the source material otherwise information is lost, period.

True but hugely simplified. RedBook can sound better than hi-res, if you start with a decent 44.1 recording great things can happen. If you have a poorly recorded 192K file, it can sound poor. Some hi-res files on the net are not even high res, but upconverted. so IMO hi-res does not always mean better sound.

Jan 10, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #659 of 1,052
  This is the wrong thread to be having this conversation though, right?
Where's the cool pics!

True. I posted my system here last week. Sorry, got dragged into that discussion. Yeah, more cool pics please folks.

Jan 10, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #660 of 1,052

And which CD player can't reproduce drums or any FRs that is on any CD? :rolleyes: Now I realize that this isn't the sound science forum but common sense should be at least applied to post on any forum.

Yes let's get back to topic..........:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back