Philips Fidelio X2?!
Jul 24, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #12,316 of 15,268
I also had many headphones but only 2 AMPS.... The nx1 and the e12 as well.... :D
I dont plan to upgrade to be honest.... I know my hd600 may deserve a better AMP/DAC and i will only reach their true potential by doing that but i dont like to spend money on AMPS to be honest. Maybe its a wrong way of doing things in this hobby but if i havê money i always go for new headphones.... :)

Totally agree with you. E12 is perfect for my use and I don't see the need to upgrade amps. My latest purchase was new closed-backed headphones (Thinksound On2) as a compliment to my X2's. I have the money but refuse to bow to upgradeitus whenever possible. More than happy with my gear!

Jul 24, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #12,317 of 15,268
But in terms of reolution and pure detail did you dind the x2's on par or the hd6xx's were better? Would you say the hd650 is even warmer /colored/dark sounding than the x2's?

I'm not sure the X2 match the HD6xx/650 in details and resolution, especially in the upper mids where the Sennheisers are at their best. And no, I didn't find the HD6xx warmer or darker than the X2. They fall off on the bass sooner and have highs that are deliberately tuned not to be offensive, but its not a dark sound.

You won't hear any harshness or sibilance from the Sennheisers, whereas the X2 can lose a little control in the highs and be uneven and sharp occasionally. But this also makes the HD6xx a little less exciting. I found them a little bland to be honest, despite their sound in the middle registers where they shine the most.

Jul 25, 2017 at 2:27 AM Post #12,318 of 15,268
@Pedro Oliveira

Yes, to me the HD650 is definitely warmer than the X2's. The HD650 are also more balanced but imo that's because they roll off in both ends and gets a pretty even response in what left from low to high, they've also got a pretty poor soundstage width for a open headphone.

The X2's on the other hand has a much wider soundstage as well as better extension in both ends, albeit their midrange is not as forward (still does not feel too much V-shaped to me though).

As for details the HD650 got lore details on the midrange while the X2's (naturally) got more detail in low bass and treble.

Jul 25, 2017 at 3:03 AM Post #12,319 of 15,268
Thank you once again.... :)

Havê any of you ever tried a sennheiser hd25-1 ii or ath-m50x besides the hd650, hd600 and Fidélio x2?

I know its Apples and oranges but just would like to know wich of the hd6x0s resembles the hd25 the most....The hd25 is my favorite headphone of all time. To me it strikes a mix of balance (to my ears), power, texture and resolution that males them sound só powerfull and addicting but at the same time pretty clear.

The hd600 is close on the highs and mids presentation but it os overall more Boring of course the x2 is closer because it hás the exciting and punchy sound signature but still the highs and mids are not as lively and Textured.... Would like to know if the hd650 can strike a balance (hd600 mids and highs with a bit more bass and dynamic/pinchy/fun and engaging sound)....Dont know if burn in might make the x2s resolution and texture better but i doubt it changes that much (not that its had like this though (if it just clear up a bit and sounds a tiny less warm/colored/boomy on the the bass i will be more than happy.... My x2 have about 14 hours of burn in right now.).

The hd25 is like this out of the box (purchased a back up pair last week for 97 euros on prime day and it sounded exactly the same as my one year old pair right out of the box).

PS: about all the build problems and sound issues.... My pair is sounding perfectly balances, just a tiny bit too warm/coloured for my tastes but i AM shopping this will clear a bit after some more hours (dont believe in burn in (i believe in getting used to....) very much but lets vive them a try.... :)

Build seems fine... Mine actually say Gibson on the headband side and not woox. My only complain is maybe the ring plates that surrond the cups, specially on the side where the Jack does not connect.... Since its not perfectly aligned i can ser a bit of the ring sticking out because the inner parte is not painted.... But that is pretty much it.
I may use the sticking ring as an apologee to ask for a second pair from amazon just for sound and build quality comparison and i keep the best pair in the end (yeah amazons policies are that good).... Gonna think about it... :)

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2017 at 7:04 AM Post #12,320 of 15,268
What do you guys think of this cable to replace the original one....

http://s.aliexpress.com/UZF3iMJJ

http://s.aliexpress.com/yqQF36BR

I wanted it to all black on both or at least one of the end to match the original cable and the color of the headphones but all of those i can find se em very los quality or are too expensive....

Trying to go with the lenght of a momentum or hd25, should i order in 1m or 1.5m? :D

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #12,321 of 15,268
What do you guys think of this cable to replace the original one....

http://s.aliexpress.com/UZF3iMJJ

http://s.aliexpress.com/yqQF36BR

I wanted it to all black on both or at least one of the end to match the original cable and the color of the headphones but all of those i can find se em very los quality or are too expensive....

Trying to go with the lenght of a momentum or hd25, should i order in 1m or 1.5m? :D

"should i order in 1m or 1.5m?"

is that a serious question?
you should have your own thread

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #12,323 of 15,268
I was actually kidding on that one.... :p

But what do you guys think about this cables? Any other suggestions?

I got my replacement/aftermarket cable for the X2s from GHENT AUDIO, and I strongly recommend them.

My favorite G.A. cable for the X2 is the D05 model: http://www.ghentaudio.com/part/d05.html
  • For my needs, the 6.5mm to 6.5mm configuration is perfect. I use 2.0 meter cables due to distance from my chair to the amps.
  • If just ordered this w/3.5mm on the headphone side (to fit the X2s). It was no problem doing so.

I won't claim that this cable "transformed" the sound of the X2s. But as soon as I plugged it in, IMO the X2s sounded even better than before. Everything they do well (spacious soundstaging, strong bass/mid-bass, "friendly" upper midrange) sounded even better than usual. Not "night & day" differences, but differences, nonetheless.

The cost for a 1.5 meter length of this cable is $15.00 (shipping included). Not quite as cheap as some of the ebay/aliexpress alternatives, but still quite inexpensive IMO. And Ghent Xu is a very responsive, customer service-oriented vendor. I've purchased from him 2-3 times, always with very good results.

Jul 25, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #12,325 of 15,268
I got my replacement/aftermarket cable for the X2s from GHENT AUDIO, and I strongly recommend them.

My favorite G.A. cable for the X2 is the D05 model: http://www.ghentaudio.com/part/d05.html
  • For my needs, the 6.5mm to 6.5mm configuration is perfect. I use 2.0 meter cables due to distance from my chair to the amps.
  • If just ordered this w/3.5mm on the headphone side (to fit the X2s). It was no problem doing so.

I won't claim that this cable "transformed" the sound of the X2s. But as soon as I plugged it in, IMO the X2s sounded even better than before. Everything they do well (spacious soundstaging, strong bass/mid-bass, "friendly" upper midrange) sounded even better than usual. Not "night & day" differences, but differences, nonetheless.

The cost for a 1.5 meter length of this cable is $15.00 (shipping included). Not quite as cheap as some of the ebay/aliexpress alternatives, but still quite inexpensive IMO. And Ghent Xu is a very responsive, customer service-oriented vendor. I've purchased from him 2-3 times, always with very good results.

I ordered my cable D15 from ghentaudio.com.
Cable is wonderful, and so is the sound.
They are good cable company, indeed.

Thanks for the info - i'll look into it too

Jul 25, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #12,326 of 15,268
Thank you once again.... :)

Havê any of you ever tried a sennheiser hd25-1 ii or ath-m50x besides the hd650, hd600 and Fidélio x2?

I know its Apples and oranges but just would like to know wich of the hd6x0s resembles the hd25 the most....The hd25 is my favorite headphone of all time. To me it strikes a mix of balance (to my ears), power, texture and resolution that males them sound só powerfull and addicting but at the same time pretty clear.

The hd600 is close on the highs and mids presentation but it os overall more Boring of course the x2 is closer because it hás the exciting and punchy sound signature but still the highs and mids are not as lively and Textured.... Would like to know if the hd650 can s,,,,

I currently own a pair of HD650's and X2's and can hear them side by side.

Here my impressions:

The X2 definitely sounds more sibilant, especially in songs that tend to a more sibilant sound. For my taste the highs are a bit overtuned , however in some songs this creates a more interesting and engaging sound. In others however, it leads to a mess with uneven treble. The 650's dont suffer from that problem at all.
The X2's bass is definitely more prominent and also reaches a bit "deeper" - However the HD650's one is more punchy. In direct comparison the X2's sound can sound a bit muddy - not to a terrible level and only in direct comparison, though - sometimes the X2's sub-pass kicks a bit harder leading again to a more pleasing / engaging and "fuller / more spacious" sound.
The X2's soundstage feels to be wider (but not by a huge margin).
The X2 is a bit heavier (but doesn't feel so on the head) , the clamping force is less and the pads are more cushy (I like wearing him more). Build quality wise I also prefer them over the plasticy HD650.

I say : If you can handle the peaking treble / sometimes sibilant sound, go for the X2. Here in the EU they are less than half the price of the HD650s.

The HD650 is like the best guy in school, he does nothing wrong and always sounds pleasing, however also can sometimes be a bit boring and uninspired. The bass quality is a bit higher / tighter, but the bass quantity definitely a tier lower compared to the X2.
Overall I think it is the better allrounder for music. Is it worth more than double the price of the X2's ? Nope not at all.

Maybe also have a look on the X1. They don't suffer from sibilance and I feel like they sitting directly in the mid of those 2 (bass quantity of the X2's with a little less sub-bass, tamed highs, good soundstage), unfortunatly without the tight bass of the 650's. They are my daily driver and always pleasing to listen to.

Also tried the AKG K712 pro - Very good highs and mids but even less bass than the 650's. I would prefer the 650's over them.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #12,327 of 15,268
Just goes to show how different we all hear things as tight is probably the last word I'd use to describe the HD650 bass.

I'd also say that the soundstage on the X2's are a lot wider than on the HD650 so obviously YMMV.

Jul 25, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #12,328 of 15,268
Just goes to show how different we all hear things as tight is probably the last word I'd use to describe the HD650 bass.

I'd also say that the soundstage on the X2's are a lot wider than on the HD650 so obviously YMMV.

Certainly everyone hears differently. So no one's opinion about headphones is "bible truth."

On the other hand, having experience with many different headphones over years' time (which @peter123 surely does) really matters...all that comparative listening tends to focus one's observations.

Jul 25, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #12,329 of 15,268

Here my impressions:

The X2 definitely sounds more sibilant, especially in songs that tend to a more sibilant sound. For my taste the highs are a bit overtuned , however in some songs this creates a more interesting and engaging sound. In others however, it leads to a mess with uneven treble. The 650's dont suffer from that problem at all.
The X2's bass is definitely more prominent and also reaches a bit "deeper" - However the HD650's one is more punchy. In direct comparison the X2's sound can sound a bit muddy - not to a terrible level and only in direct comparison, though - sometimes the X2's sub-pass kicks a bit harder leading again to a more pleasing / engaging and "fuller / more spacious" sound.
The X2 is a bit heavier (but doesn't feel so on the head) , the clamping force is less and the pads are more cushy (I like wearing him more). Build quality wise I also prefer them over the plasticy HD650.

I say : If you can handle the peaking treble / sometimes sibilant sound, go for the X2. Here in the EU they are less than half the price of the HD650s.

The HD650 is like the best guy in school, he does nothing wrong and always sounds pleasing, however also can sometimes be a bit boring and uninspired. The bass quality is a bit higher / tighter, but the bass quantity definitely a tier lower compared to the X2.
Overall I think it is the better allrounder for music. Is it worth more than double the price of the X2's ? Nope not at all.

Maybe also have a look on the X1. They don't suffer from sibilance and I feel like they sitting directly in the mid of those 2 (bass quantity of the X2's with a little less sub-bass, tamed highs, good soundstage), unfortunatly without the tight bass of the 650's. They are my daily driver and always pleasing to listen to.

Also tried the AKG K712 pro - Very good highs and mids but even less bass than the 650's. I would prefer the 650's over them.
[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much for your impressions. :)
Wich types of song do you listen to by the way? If you had to choose one or the other to listen to metal or eletronic wich one would you choose?
In comparison to the hd600 the x2 sound more fun and engaging to my ears but i can sense some coloration/extra warmth wich makes them feel not very natural... is this the same thing you feel when comparing with the hd650 or the hd650 is a bit colored or maybe a tad (at least noticeable) too warm sounding?

I think that he x2s soundstage is not necessarily great to be honest. They sound spatious but at the same time there is some intimacy too their soud that kind of makes them resamble a closed back. I would actually say their soundstage is on par with the 80ohm dt770. And if we speak in terms of instrument separation the hd600 clearly takes the cake.... to my ears yes the x2 sounds a bit spatious but thei soundstage and instrument separation/placement is not that great to be honest.....

Jul 25, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #12,330 of 15,268

Here my impressions:

Also tried the AKG K712 pro - Very good highs and mids but even less bass than the 650's. I would prefer the 650's over them.
[/QUOTE]

Not trying to disagree with you: what you hear is what you hear. But I just don't hear sibilance in my X2s...not to any real/significant degree. I just cued up a number of cuts that are borderline bright, depending on electronics and headphones. And through the X2s, they're just not bright, neither vocalists or instrumentals. In fact, the bass and soundstaging are so fine that I keep forgetting my little "mission" (find the sibilance in the X2s) & get sucked into this or that earhole.

Maybe it's my electronics, all carefully chosen to avoid unnatural brightness (to which I'm extremely sensitive) and give me tonality that I hear in live music. Right now I'm listening through the Violectric V281, which is not inherently bright--though it is almost absurdly dynamic, and those shocking transients can sometimes be mistaken for brightness (they're not--in fact, the notes roll in with a wallop from top to bottom of the frequency range). The V281 is a bass monster, and the X2s are right there, keeping up. My DAC is the non-oversampling R2 R design from Audio GD, the NOS 19. It's the least "digital" DAC I've ever heard: zero glare or tonal thin-ness; instead, a full, organic, relaxed sound with excellent, slightly "wet" sounding bass (ie, not dry, cut-outs of instruments, but full-bodied & impactful).

The X2s sound AMAZING through this equipment. They also sound pretty amazing through all my other HP amps, also quite good through my favorite el cheapo delta-sigma DAC, the Peachtree Audio DAC iTx (transients are sharper than w/the NOS 19, for sure...but the X2s still don't really sound sibilant/bright).

(I'll have great difficulty getting the X2s off my head tonight)

Anyway, I'm hearing what I always hear from the X2s...rich, expansive soundstaging, the kind sealed designs never quite get; a relaxing, friendly sound with lots of bass, mid-bass, and lower midrange energy--and little or no glare, brightness, sibilance, etc. I'm not sure if the X2s are V-shaped, U-shaped, or just a little tipped up in the bass and slightly down in the mids. I've surely heard headphones sound "bright" (just not these).

I've heard other headphones that do "technicalities" better than the X2s--but so what? For $200 they're not only a screaming bargain, but they suit my sonic preferences as well as any component I've heard in ~40 years of audiophile wandering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back