Philips Fidelio X2 Defects on Amazon
Dec 21, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #32 of 250
These are good pictures for clearing confusions. 

Why do you say your phones are from Gibson? I did not see "Gibson" from the picture of the box you posted and your phones clearly indicate they are from Woox. 

Quote:

I'm confused,  why is everyone saying that the ones that come from gibson  are not the high quality that the normal ones are?  trying to follow the other thread on this as well and i think i am making my self confused to what is really going on.   I guess I have a pair of the ones that come from gibson  since thats what the picture i posted says its from but my cushions come off fine with no glue or melted foam on the pegs.

Here're some other pictures from the amazon 199 special.  

Dec 21, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #33 of 250
Mine say Gibson (says Woox on the actual headphone).  My pads were lightly glued (nothing a little goo gone can't cure if it is that bothersome).  Other than that mine seem fine.

As for SQ differences, please stop worrying about this guys.  It was one dude on reddit that was freaking out.  Everyone else finds it fine.  Unless you have the ring issue, your good.  As for driver imbalance, yes that COULD happen to you, just test it out.  The imbalance issues are something that has been around since the X2 first launched, it is not a new QC issue brought on by Gibson.

Dec 21, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #34 of 250
These are good pictures for clearing confusions. 

Why do you say your phones are from Gibson? I did not see "Gibson" from the picture of the box you posted and your phones clearly indicate they are from Woox. 

Cause Gibson purchased Woox innovation from Philips

http://www.newscenter.philips.com/main/standard/news/press/2014/20140428-philips-to-sell-woox-innovations-to-gibson-brands.wpd#.VngcNOtllhE

https://www.gibsoninnovations.com/en/news/woox-innovations-becomes-gibson-innovations

Dec 21, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #37 of 250
Yes or No, depending on whether your phones were made before or after the selling of Woox to Gibson. 

why would they still be selling under philips right now if they are under the WOOX name that was purchased by gibson anyways.  normally what I have seen is a company that buys another company.  they will take the unsold product and rebrand it or sell as b stock.   These are still the same price the were when they came out too so you wouldn't sell them as A stock either.  These would be considered b stock regardless if they were made by WOOX or philips before the purchase

Dec 21, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #38 of 250
  Mine say Gibson (says Woox on the actual headphone).  My pads were lightly glued (nothing a little goo gone can't cure if it is that bothersome).  Other than that mine seem fine.

As for SQ differences, please stop worrying about this guys.  It was one dude on reddit that was freaking out.  Everyone else finds it fine.  Unless you have the ring issue, your good.  As for driver imbalance, yes that COULD happen to you, just test it out.  The imbalance issues are something that has been around since the X2 first launched, it is not a new QC issue brought on by Gibson.

How to check for ring issues??

Dec 21, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #39 of 250
Just sharing a few facts and thoughts.

Facts..

You can receive either X2/00 or X2/27 and have glued pads.
You can receive either Gibson or WOOX branded phones and have glued pads.
There are at least two different designs of boxes which do not seem to correspond to getting glued pads or not.
If you receive glued on pads, you have received a "defective" (Philips' words, not mine) product and it should be returned.
The metal ring issue is present on the majority of the pairs I have seen.  Look carefully at some pictures people post claiming their pair are "perfect".
FWIW my pair are from Amazon.fr, X2/00, have glued on pads, aluminium ring poking, and an imbalance in the drivers (louder in the right cup).

Thoughts..

If the glue has been put on by accident, what else has been done by accident in relation to the sound quality?  You can only make this judgement for yourself by listening to more than one pair (ideally completely different batch, not glued etc).
If you don't mind a potentially defective pair, grab the $148 Amazon deal.  Not much to risk and you might roll a six.

Glad I got that out of my system... :p

Dec 21, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #42 of 250
I bet Philips started glueing on the pads after they decided not to release replacement pads.

Only actual defect is the ring issue and channel imbalance, of which has been around since the headphones release.

Dec 21, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #45 of 250
I bet Philips started glueing on the pads after they decided not to release replacement pads.

Only actual defect is the ring issue and channel imbalance, of which has been around since the headphones release.

First statement is speculation, but the timeline would match up.  I'll receive another pair from a Finnish webshop soon, which should shed some light on the 'bad Amazon batch' theory.  I'd like to think the manufacturer made a mistake and thought they were X1s and glued the pads... wishful thinking?

Second statement is true, just something you have to deal with or keep returning 'em.

@Hammy; what's shown there? I can't see a defect easily on my phone's screen.

The ring of aluminium that runs around next to the pad is coming off in certain places, leaving a bit of silver peeking.  Clearly the glue they have used is not strong enough, or the strip is not cut exactly to size.  Like mysticstryk said though, it's been happening since they were released.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back