Peter123's $250+ amp/DAC combo thread 12 amp/dac's compared
Dec 27, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #47 of 70
Hey peter, first of all, thank you for all the comparisons. You really got me intrigued about geek out products. I currently have a mojo and I plan to replace it. Not because I want an upgrade, but something different for better matching as I find the mojo a bit too relaxed with small soundstage. It's also pretty heavy to carry it around. Would you think the v2+ infinity would be a good choice? I plan to use mine with my laptop.

Dec 28, 2016 at 5:07 AM Post #48 of 70
Hey peter, first of all, thank you for all the comparisons. You really got me intrigued about geek out products. I currently have a mojo and I plan to replace it. Not because I want an upgrade, but something different for better matching as I find the mojo a bit too relaxed with small soundstage. It's also pretty heavy to carry it around. Would you think the v2+ infinity would be a good choice? I plan to use mine with my laptop.

Thanks mate, glad you enjoy it.

The V2+ is indeed a great option to the Mojo imo. It has the same sq but a different charcteris with more attack without being fatiguing. I'm not sure I'd recommend it for permanent laptop duty though because it will not charge while in use. For your usage I think the 2A might be better suited. It's pretty much identical to the V2+ through the balanced output and not far behind from the single ended either. My guess is that adding something like the iPurifier or AQ Jitterbug would probably close the gap even more.

I hope this helps :wink:

Dec 28, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #49 of 70
Thanks mate, glad you enjoy it.

The V2+ is indeed a great option to the Mojo imo. It has the same sq but a different charcteris with more attack without being fatiguing. I'm not sure I'd recommend it for permanent laptop duty though because it will not charge while in use. For your usage I think the 2A might be better suited. It's pretty much identical to the V2+ through the balanced output and not far behind from the single ended either. My guess is that adding something like the iPurifier or AQ Jitterbug would probably close the gap even more.

I hope this helps
wink.gif

As long as the battery lasts as advertised, I'm good. I can just charge it every night :) I've heard about the problems of 2a being randomly shut down and getting really hot during usage. Haven't tried any geek out products, but really don't want to deal with RMAing things. I just need something more energetic. I think your reply was the answer I was looking for. There are couple latest version v2+ inf. ones going around for awesome price, might as well grab those!

Dec 31, 2016 at 3:56 AM Post #50 of 70
As long as the battery lasts as advertised, I'm good. I can just charge it every night :) I've heard about the problems of 2a being randomly shut down and getting really hot during usage. Haven't tried any geek out products, but really don't want to deal with RMAing things. I just need something more energetic. I think your reply was the answer I was looking for. There are couple latest version v2+ inf. ones going around for awesome price, might as well grab those!

Sounds good. Fwiw I also find the V2+ to sound better than the 2A, especially from the SE output. I haven't had any issues with any of my three Geek Out products. I really hope hope you'll be happy with it.

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #51 of 70
What would be the best recommendations for Shure SE846?

Any great experiences with them? 

Their impedance is very low (9ohms) and are not suitable for every device.

DAP recommendations are also welcome.

Feb 28, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #53 of 70
  Setting the standard:
It's important in all comparisons to have a reference, something that remains the same between the comparisons a fixed variable. I also feel that this reference should be somethig that's as close to perfect in as many ways as possible for the other objects to reach for, the one to beat (in one or more areas). 

Writing this makes me remember a book I had in my university time, amazingly enough I even remember the name of the author even though it was almost 20 years ago so it must have made some impression 
wink_face.gif

Burson Audio Conductor V2+ ($1,499):
My choice for refernce unit is the V2+. It is a very complete unit in my opinion and offers both excellent sound as well as top notch build quality and great verstatility. 

Although all other units in the comparison section in the review for each product included in this thread may change the V2+ will always be included as one of the objects in the comparison. 

Pros: Sound, build, design, remote control, 5 year warranty
Cons: DAC sound signature may not suit everybody

Quick breakdown:
Sound: 9.5/10
Build: 10/10
Connections: 9/10
Features: 9/10
Value: 9/10
Portability: 1

Full review:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/burson-audio-conductor-v2/reviews/15450

Review rating: 
5/5

A friend has a Conductor V2 with both PCM 1793 and Sabre 9018 DACs and he never uses the Sabre. Have you listened the PCM version?

Feb 28, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #54 of 70
What would be the best recommendations for Shure SE846?

Any great experiences with them? 

Their impedance is very low (9ohms) and are not suitable for every device.

DAP recommendations are also welcome.

Unfortunately I've never heard the SE846 so I can't help you with that. I know that the Aune M1s DAP is known for being very good with low impedance IEM's due to its extremely low (non existing?) background hiss and great low gain mode. It does have some caveats though so I suggest to check out the dedicated thread for it.

I'm subbing

Welcome. Unfortunately I'm afraid it will be a bit slow here for a while since I had a fire in my house two weeks back in with a family of six I've got other priorities for a while now :frowning2:

A friend has a Conductor with both PCM 1793 and Sabre 9018 DACs and he never uses the Sabre. Have you listened the PCM version?

No I haven't. If he as both DACs he's got the older version of the Conductor though since the new one only comes with the Sabre chip.

General opinion seems to be that the V2 is a good deal better performing than the original Conductor but I haven't heard the latter myself so can't really say anything about it.

Mar 11, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #56 of 70
Peter, thanks for another great work! As an addition, I'd love to hear your opinion about Centrance products (especially DACportable) should this be possible for you.

Mar 15, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #57 of 70
Any chance of adding the Dragonfly Red to the list, as was hinted a few months ago? Particularly compared to the Opus #11. Thanks!

May 29, 2017 at 8:38 AM Post #59 of 70
i have burson v2+ and mojo and what a night and day difference between those 2, I wish to hear burson air and lh geek infinity

Users who are viewing this thread

Back