Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
Mar 29, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #3,511 of 3,729
  3 words

Oh my god

I bought this cable from lavricables for my oppo pm1

http://www.lavricables.com/cables/master-silver-oppo-pm1-pm2-upgrade-cable/

og my god it opened the pm1 to a whole new level

bigges wider sound stage, amazing amazing details, and great mids and punchy tight tight bass

this is the first time ever i hear such a huge and by huge I mean huuuugggggge improvement in sound coming in from a cable change 

I don't say you're wrong abou this, but you can't stop me from saying that this is a bloody expensive cable!!!!!!! 

Mar 29, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #3,512 of 3,729

I don't say you're wrong abou this, but you can't stop me from saying that this is a bloody expensive cable!!!!!!! 

let me put it this way i bought yypro audio tucana cable for my iem for about 500 usd and the difference bwteen it and stock cable was maybe 3%

now take this I bought lavricable for my oppo pm1 and the difference is huge and by huge i mean huge

Mar 29, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #3,513 of 3,729
  let me put it this way i bought yypro audio tucana cable for my iem for about 500 usd and the difference bwteen it and stock cable was maybe 3%

now take this I bought lavricable for my oppo pm1 and the difference is huge and by huge i mean huge

I see! 

Glad it worked out for you this way ! 

I want to see this kinda changes with cables, but am clearly not prepared to pay 300$ for one yet 
wink.gif

If they bring a variety of cables for me to test in Romania, I'll be sure to talk about them though! 

Mar 29, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #3,514 of 3,729

I see! 

Glad it worked out for you this way ! 

I want to see this kinda changes with cables, but am clearly not prepared to pay 300$ for one yet 
wink.gif

If they bring a variety of cables for me to test in Romania, I'll be sure to talk about them though! 

u will love it, i know you like treble and this will bring out the treble you like or close to it :wink:

i felt that before this cable the oppo needed to be unveiled or unleased in the highs and this did it and in a dam good way

Mar 29, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #3,515 of 3,729
  u will love it, i know you like treble and this will bring out the treble you like or close to it :wink:

i felt that before this cable the oppo needed to be unveiled or unleased in the highs and this did it and in a dam good way

NICEEEEEE!~~~~
That is what I wanted to hear to get my attention and hopes up! 
gs1000.gif

Please make sure to write about it, it is good to know that there is a cable that unveils and lets the treble shine through! 

Mar 29, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #3,516 of 3,729

NICEEEEEE!~~~~
That is what I wanted to hear to get my attention and hopes up! 
gs1000.gif

Please make sure to write about it, it is good to know that there is a cable that unveils and lets the treble shine through! 

not only treble also sound stage as well

i am not good in writing, but i mention things that really make a difference 

one advise though u need a better amp than fiio a5, if you want an end game portable amp buy yourself an alo mk 3b find one used and then with the cable and alo amp the oppo is in another level of sonic bliss

2 things i will never sell oppo and alo mk3B, i bought a spare alo amp as this beast is the best ever amp i heard in portable form with its amazing bass tune knob, and huge sound stage and signature is just a piece of art of sonic bliss, 

let me put things in numbers

fiio x5iii or fiio x7--- fiio a5--- oppo regular cable ---- 6/10
fiio x5iii or fiiio x7---- alo amp--- oppo --- lavri cable---- 10/10
fiio x5iii or fiiio x7---- alo amp--- oppo --- regular cable---- 8/10

Mar 29, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #3,517 of 3,729
  not only treble also sound stage as well

i am not good in writing, but i mention things that really make a difference 

one advise though u need a better amp than fiio a5, if you want an end game portable amp buy yourself an alo mk 3b find one used and then with the cable and alo amp the oppo is in another level of sonic bliss

2 things i will never sell oppo and alo mk3B, i bought a spare alo amp as this beast is the best ever amp i heard in portable form with its amazing bass tune knob, and huge sound stage and signature is just a piece of art of sonic bliss, 

let me put things in numbers

fiio x5iii or fiio x7--- fiio a5--- oppo regular cable ---- 6/10
fiio x5iii or fiiio x7---- alo amp--- oppo --- lavri cable---- 10/10
fiio x5iii or fiiio x7---- alo amp--- oppo --- regular cable---- 8/10

Whoa! 

I actually forever thought that X7s DAC would be more energetic than the DAC found in X5-3 (?)

And you just had to mention how good is that cable, didn't you 
gs1000.gif

I really thought that PM-1 could had used some treble and more stage and now that we know the cable is what limited it.... 

Mar 29, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #3,518 of 3,729

Whoa! 

I actually forever thought that X7s DAC would be more energetic than the DAC found in X5-3 (?)

And you just had to mention how good is that cable, didn't you 
gs1000.gif

I really thought that PM-1 could had used some treble and more stage and now that we know the cable is what limited it.... 

do not forget the amp my freind you will thank me alot alot alot alot if you buy the alo amp with oppo, i would first start with the amp then the cable, fiio a5 no way is doing oppo pm1 any good and i am really sharing honest opinion. even chord hugo was not on the same level as fiio and alo mk3B with oppo pm1. the amp my friend will change everything with oppo pm1

i know spec wise oppo pm1 should not be difficult to drive, but man with alo amp the oppo is a total different beast Such a huge sound stage with alo mk3B and best ever bass boost ever made, its a real bass tuner

i tried oppo pm1 with ak380 and amp it sucked in comaprison to fiio dap and alo mk3b

i think u can find alo mk3 B used for 300 USD and then add the cable for another 300 usd and you are done

oh i forgot your ie800 with alo mk3B oh my god it will move to a whole new level that u never heard before :wink:
foget the a5 amp its a low class amp and i own both so I am describing how they compare

Apr 27, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #3,519 of 3,729
do not forget the amp my freind you will thank me alot alot alot alot if you buy the alo amp with oppo, i would first start with the amp then the cable, fiio a5 no way is doing oppo pm1 any good and i am really sharing honest opinion. even chord hugo was not on the same level as fiio and alo mk3B with oppo pm1. the amp my friend will change everything with oppo pm1

i know spec wise oppo pm1 should not be difficult to drive, but man with alo amp the oppo is a total different beast Such a huge sound stage with alo mk3B and best ever bass boost ever made, its a real bass tuner

i tried oppo pm1 with ak380 and amp it sucked in comaprison to fiio dap and alo mk3b

i think u can find alo mk3 B used for 300 USD and then add the cable for another 300 usd and you are done

oh i forgot your ie800 with alo mk3B oh my god it will move to a whole new level that u never heard before :wink:
foget the a5 amp its a low class amp and i own both so I am describing how they compare

Thank you for all your help, mate! Highly appreciated!

Seems like you found a lot of fun for yourself! Hope things keep up just as bright!

May 4, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #3,521 of 3,729
May 4, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #3,522 of 3,729
PM-1 and HD800S have really different signatures! Both are quite resolving, good soundstage, and a good sound. But they are so different that you should really hear both before deciding.

I personally like both a lot, would probably go with HD800S for long term usage and comfort since they are the most comfortable headphone ever made, but the signature is a personal thing and if PM-1 are comfortable and if you like their signature better, I really liked PM-1 as well when I heard them!

May 9, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #3,524 of 3,729
I've only just auditioned the HD800S, breifly, but I've had both the HD800 and the PM-1 since December of 2013. From what I've read, the HD800S is just as finicky regarding your choice of DAC and amp, but with a little more bass and less treble harshness.

The HD800 is a crybaby chameleon that changes color and mood dramatically as you move it from system to system, where the PM-1 seems to eat whatever you feed it without complaining.

Looking back on my journey thus far, I went the way of a lot of newcomers, craving detail and neutrality above all else. The HD800 and, no doubt, the HD800S, is a fault-detecting microscope that will uncover anything and everything that's wrong with what's upstream, and the better your gear, the more you will hear problems with the mastering of many of your favorite recordings. It's so unforgiving compared to the PM-1, that for me, the HD800 remains an instrument I use primarily for comparing upstream components, where the PM-1 is, hands down, my favorite headphone for simply enjoying music.

If you've heard the HD800 and want something with the signature of the HD800S, but with more bass and with only slightly less resolution (a good thing?), I consider the Beyerdynamics DT880 600-Ohm, to be a "poor man's HD800 with bass," when equipped with the Beyer factory pleather pads (providing a better seal than velour pads), as long as you drive them with lots of power (i.e. Oppo HA-1 or anything else that can push 600-Ohm drivers well) and, preferably, with balanced output (which requires a recabling mod that can be had very reasonably by sending them to BTG-Audio, for example.) Not including the cost of an amp, I'm talking about an HD800 competitor (better in some ways, not in others, but very similar, overall) that only costs about $350, equipped as I've described. They have a lot of dynamic "slam" - in the direction of what I've heard about the Focal Utopia, in that regard, but they are also very resolving, thanks to the "taughtness" of their 600-Ohm drivers - even down into the bass frequencies (a very pleasurable thing) with extension that goes well below the HD800 or HD800s, with absolutely no sloppiness - again, dependent on the power you provide. They are much less fatiguing over long hours of play than the HD800, even on my best rig for the HD800 (Metrum Acoustics Octave MKII NOS DAC + the zero-feedback Metrum Acoustics Aurix amp).

But when it comes to listening without fatigue, with a signature that suits nearly every track in my library, on just about any combination of DAC or amp, nothing beats the Oppo PM-1. Just plug it in and enjoy. I spent the better part of 13 months looking for a DAC/amp combo that would make my HD800 tolerable. The PM-1, on the other hand, just gives instant gratification.

I'm rambling, but lastly, let me add that the HD800/HD800S don't play as well with oversampling DACs (especially ESS) and/or multi-stage, solid state amps that use a lot of negative feedback. They are much happier with NOS DACs and zero-feedback, or at least low-feedback amps.)

May 21, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #3,525 of 3,729
Listening straight out of my iPod 160. Can't believe how good this sounds. I find the HD650 unlistenable the same way. Not sure which one I like better out of an amp yet, but on random covering Little Caesar (vinyl source to digital?), Depeche Mode, Metallica, Rihanna, Verdi, I want for nothing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back