New Hidizs AP200 double DAC Android-based smart music player
Jul 20, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #482 of 2,616
Hi, the AP200 output impedance is the standard values which is advised by ESS company. Our technical team and the ESS technical support team have taken lots of test to prove it. AP200 incldudes many modules, the output impedance is a part of them.The good performance of AP200 is the balance of the modules.So we can get the AP200 excellent specs.

I didn't mean to imply that the AP200 is badly designed, I'm just wondering if it would be a good choice to be paired with low impedance IEMs (32 ohm or less).

Jul 21, 2017 at 5:32 AM Post #484 of 2,616
Thank you Ferdi91, Levanter, Glebuzzz and Bellyworshipper for all the replies, I didn’t mean to start any dramas :disappointed_relieved:

However, lots of great points in the discussion and it’s much appreciated, I will keep looking into a nice set of IEMs, researching and learning.

Cheers.

Jul 21, 2017 at 5:53 AM Post #485 of 2,616
Thank you Ferdi91, Levanter, Glebuzzz and Bellyworshipper for all the replies, I didn’t mean to start any dramas :disappointed_relieved:
However, lots of great points in the discussion and it’s much appreciated, I will keep looking into a nice set of IEMs, researching and learning.
Cheers.

I think the impedance discussion is overcomplicating the question here lol... relatively small proportion of IEMs where it is much of a concern in either respect ( at that, often overstated and with variable results)

If you're near one of the big cities in Australia, there are a few good stores you can go and actually try headphones out (including IEMs I think?), such as Jaben or Minidisc... If that's a possibility I'd suggest just taking your new player loaded up with some music to test them out.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2017 at 6:15 AM Post #486 of 2,616
If you're near one of the big cities in Australia, there are a few good stores you can go and actually try headphones out (including IEMs I think?), such as Jaben or Minidisc... If that's a possibility I'd suggest just taking your new player loaded up with some music to one of those.

Thanks Raketen, I am pretty close to the Melbourne CBD, I’ll definitely have to go check them out, just thought you couldn’t try IEMs because of hygiene issues.

Cheers.

Jul 21, 2017 at 6:26 AM Post #487 of 2,616
Thanks Raketen, I am pretty close to the Melbourne CBD, I’ll definitely have to go check them out, just thought you couldn’t try IEMs because of hygiene issues.Cheers.

Depends on the store (or possibly government) policy and your own hygenic scruples. I've been to stores in Japan with rows upon rows of IEM demos- brought my own assortment of eartips, and they provided disinfectant wipes for the stock tips as well. Not been to a Jaben, but going by other Head-Fier posts, pretty sure they allow it, though there are several locations so it's possible the Aussie location doesn't.

Jul 21, 2017 at 8:12 AM Post #488 of 2,616
Hi, the AP200 output impedance is the standard values which is advised by ESS company. Our technical team and the ESS technical support team have taken lots of test to prove it. AP200 incldudes many modules, the output impedance is a part of them.The good performance of AP200 is the balance of the modules.So we can get the AP200 excellent specs.

Would be nice if someone was able to post their thoughts on the sound quality. And whether there is any hiss with high efficiency 16 ohm iems, and such. 4.8 to 32 ohm output does seem high for a headphone amp...

Jul 21, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #489 of 2,616
Given the high output impedance, would you guys advise against buying the AP200 to pair it only with IEMs?
Total noob here. :upside_down:
EDIT:
NVM. I found it. 4.8 Ohms with a 32 Ohm load. That is a bit high in today's world.
Probably nothing to worry much about. Just to error on the side of caution, I would make sure I listened with the Ap200 prior to buying IEMs at 16 Ohms or less (or purchase from somewhere with a good return policy). Again, just to be careful

Curious.. I did a bit of looking. I did not see the ourput impedance spec. Can you point me to that information? Or just tell me what it is listed as...or both?

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #490 of 2,616
From
Curious.. I did a bit of looking. I did not see the ourput impedance spec. Can you point me to that information? Or just tell me what it is listed as...or both?

Thanks!

From the Kickstarter page: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...xt-generation-android-hifi-musi?ref=user_menu

i.e. 4.8 Ohm (32Ohm Loaded)

Copied below:
d54b9eac50f1e104738a1352845bf510_original.png

Jul 21, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #491 of 2,616
Thanks. I finally scrolled down far enough to see it.
I almost pulled the trigger on a 128 gig model. I just can't do it until I read more about the device. How it sounds, but also how the UI works in real life.

Jul 21, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #492 of 2,616
Just to error on the side of caution, I would make sure I listened with the Ap200 prior to buying IEMs at 16 Ohms or less (or purchase from somewhere with a good return policy).

I already own many 16 ohm IEMs, and those are what I would use with the AP200. Probably not the best choice for a IEM guy, right?

Jul 21, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #493 of 2,616
First of all, i'm sorry for my mis-information, in particular towards Mandrake!

i've read something around the web between last night and today, i would like to know if i understand something more and better than before.

i understand that the sensivity is a more important factor about the general volume of two different headphones drived from the same source.
It's correct to say that the impedance factor on the general volume is only a "statistical coincidence" due to the fact that, most of the time, headphones with higher impedance are less sensitive?

I'm not sure, moreover, to have completely understand the differences between the power output expressed in mw per xx ohms and the Source impedance output, not always declared by Manufacturers. If i have, like in this case with the AP200, both these informations... How should I think for the better choice of an headphone/IEM In strictly technical and physical terms?

Thank you
Ferdi

Jul 21, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #494 of 2,616
Jul 21, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #495 of 2,616

Users who are viewing this thread

Back