New Forum Tips and Tricks!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 26, 2017 at 11:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 66

Stillhart

CanJam@RMAF 2015 Karting Champion
Okay well things are clearly done a lot differently on the new forum than on the old. In an effort to answer some of the most common questions, I'm putting together a little Tips and Tricks list. For the record, I'm posting everything relative to the desktop site. I'm not a big mobile user.

1. Subscriptions are now called "Watched Threads". To get to the screen, click the number next to your Alerts in the upper right corner. From that screen, there will be a link to your Watched Threads on the left menu bar.
  2. "Watched Threads" will show you watched threads only with unread posts. To see all your watched threads, just scroll to the bottom and click the All Watched Threads button.
  3. To get to the first unread post in a thread, click the little dot icon to the left of the thread title -- the one that indicates there are unread posts.
  4. If you've posted in a thread, it will show your user icon super-imposed over the thread icon.
  5. To change your personal settings, preferences, alert setting, etc, click on that Alerts number from Tip #1 above and check out that left bar. There are a lot of interesting settings to dig through that you may want to address, e.g: it shows your birthday and gender by default, it doesn't Watch threads by default, it shows what you're doing on the forum by default, etc.
  6. To start a PM conversation with someone, click Private Messages in the upper right of the screen, then scroll to the bottom and "Start a New Private Message".
  7. For threads with multiple pages, you can click the arrows to scroll through the page numbers without reloading the whole page. Slick indeed! (Thanks, @ejong7!)
  8. Missing your Canjam badge(s)? Sit tight, don't send a PM, they're on it! You shouldn't be missing badges anymore. If you are, send a PM to @AxelCloris .
  9. Tweaking the Alerts Settings can make that alert section much more useful. The biggest thing for me was turning off alerts when someone replied to a thread I'm watching. That was just clogging up the alerts and I already know how to get to my watched threads. Right now my alerts mostly just shows when people quoted me, mentioned me or liked my posts. I find this handy.
  10. To "close" a classified, flag it and request for the mods to close it. To "bump" it, just post in it. Both of these are temporary workarounds until functionality is restored.
  11. Use the "Reply" button to quote one person. Use the "+Quote" button to multi-quote; be sure to click the "Insert quotes..." button to add the selections to your reply.
  12. Multiquoting works across threads now!
  13. A workaround to mark a bunch of threads as read: go to the front page of the Forum section, look just below your avatar on the right and there will be a "New Posts" section. Click on the "New Posts" text and there will be an option to mark all as read.

I'll keep updating this as more tips and such come in. Feel free to suggest tips below and I'll add them to the list!

Let's try to keep the complaining and feedback to the appropriate threads and just use this for helpful info. Thanks!

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #2 of 66
How do I mark sub forums or the whole forum read?

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #3 of 66

That's not something I've tried to do yet. If you figure it out, let me know and I'll update the OP.

Apr 27, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #4 of 66
Thanks for your efforts. Still feeling my way around here.

Apr 27, 2017 at 2:30 AM Post #5 of 66
A tip I have: If you want to scroll through the pages, you can click on the arrows on the pages tab to scroll through the page numbers.

Neat implementation. Elegant. Well at least on the threads that are not hundreds if not thousands of pages anyways.

Apr 27, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #6 of 66

That's not something I've tried to do yet. If you figure it out, let me know and I'll update the OP.

This forum seems to be using XenForo, so usually there should be a menu a the top with "Mark Forums Read", which would open a popup with a question if you want to mark only the current forum or all forums, like this:
QEUXAhi.png

Apr 27, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #7 of 66
This forum seems to be using XenForo, so usually there should be a menu a the top with "Mark Forums Read", which would open a popup with a question if you want to mark only the current forum or all forums, like this:
QEUXAhi.png

Should...but doesn't.....this is pretty basic stuff and should have been caught BEFORE the roll out.

Apr 28, 2017 at 5:40 AM Post #10 of 66
Just post in the thread

Apr 28, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #11 of 66
Yeah, that's a possibility, but the bump option was way better - now if the item is not sold quickly, it will be spammed with useless "bump" messages.
Is there any buying guide? The link in the top nav is empty. I don't remember how often a classified can be bumped (every 2-3 days?).

Apr 28, 2017 at 6:23 AM Post #12 of 66
Every 3 days

Apr 28, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #14 of 66
Guys, the lack of functionality in the classifieds is a known issue and they're working on it. If you find some nice workarounds to get it working smoothly, I'll post it here. But discussions on what doesn't work should go in the feedback forum so the admins have visibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back