New Burson Conductor - V2 and V2+
Jul 1, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #707 of 1,276
With the Burson Conductor V2+, you can send either the preamp out or strait line out from the DAC to whatever you want. The straight line out from the DAC is also affected by the volume knob at the chip level, which is odd for line out, but it seems to sound just fine. Plus, the conductor
has a wireless remote, so one can use it is a main home stereo preamp, and a darn good one at that! Just stick you TV out into the RCA coax in the back, if you are using optical or USB for your main audio.

Jul 4, 2017 at 4:29 AM Post #708 of 1,276
Are the new 9028/9038 capable to produce different flavors on V2+? If not, it would be hardly a motive for someone to upgrade I think.

Improvements over 9018 are less significant in this case than matching music preference.

Jul 11, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #709 of 1,276
Jul 11, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #710 of 1,276
Are the new 9028/9038 capable to produce different flavors on V2+? If not, it would be hardly a motive for someone to upgrade I think.

Improvements over 9018 are less significant in this case than matching music preference.

can u explain what you are talking about, and can that be replaced easily without sending the v2+ to burson

Jul 11, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #711 of 1,276
Just a tidbit for V2+ owners.

If you power up your V2+ prior to powering up your connected source device (iPad,laptop,etc) to it, the 5 volt USB supply will be provided by the V2.
If you are all connected up and you first power up your source device and then power up your V2, the 5 volt supply will be provided by the source device.
The latter method will usually be the noisiest method. Your much better off letting the V2 supply the 5 volts internally for best performance via USB.
Burson doesn't advertise this, but a little birdy in the know assured me that this was the case.

Jul 11, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #712 of 1,276
can u explain what you are talking about, and can that be replaced easily without sending the v2+ to burson

BB 1793 Vs Sabre 9018. Lots of folks preferred the "inferior" 1793 on the Conductor because it suited better their musical taste.

It's always nicer when you have an option.

As for the dac board, keep in mind Burson hasn't yet released a new card for the V2 and it isn't certain they will. In case they do, installation is straightforward.

Jul 12, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #713 of 1,276

If you power up your V2+ prior to powering up your connected source device (iPad,laptop,etc) to it, the 5 volt USB supply will be provided by the V2.
If you are all connected up and you first power up your source device and then power up your V2, the 5 volt supply will be provided by the source device.
The latter method will usually be the noisiest method. Your much better off letting the V2 supply the 5 volts internally for best performance via USB.
Burson doesn't advertise this, but a little birdy in the know assured me that this was the case.
Thanks very much for the info! They really should let us know this important info. This is why I heard a difference in SQ, I thought I was hearing things.

Jul 12, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #714 of 1,276

so every time i want to connect my burson to my laptop, i should first power off my laptop first. Then I first power on burson then connect it to my laptop then turn on my laptop

that is a bit not practical unless i am missing how its should be done correctly

Jul 12, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #715 of 1,276
so every time i want to connect my burson to my laptop, i should first power off my laptop first. Then I first power on burson then connect it to my laptop then turn on my laptop

that is a bit not practical unless i am missing how its should be done correctly

Turn the V2 on first and then the laptop. That's it.

Jul 13, 2017 at 4:05 AM Post #717 of 1,276
If your PC/laptop is on all the time and you want to turn on the Burson. Simply disconnect the USB cable first from the Burson, then power up the Burson, and then reconnect the USB.
that is more convenient

Jul 13, 2017 at 4:20 AM Post #718 of 1,276
I tried once to connect the RCA cable from PC sound card while the Soloist was on and I got severe, ear-drilling static noise from the headphone out. Burson clearly states the unit must be off while playing with cables. I wouldn't take the risk moving cables all the time.

I've managed to borrow a V2+ for testing hopefully it will stand up to the hype!

Jul 13, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #719 of 1,276
I just placed an order today. Now the wait begins. I spent a bunch of time trying to find good reviews. It is a bit of a surprise that there is not really much out there on the V2+.

Jul 13, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #720 of 1,276
I tried once to connect the RCA cable from PC sound card while the Soloist was on and I got severe, ear-drilling static noise from the headphone out. Burson clearly states the unit must be off while playing with cables. I wouldn't take the risk moving cables all the time.

I've managed to borrow a V2+ for testing hopefully it will stand up to the hype!

I've owned several Bursons in the past and I recently just sold my V2+ to acquire a $7k Wells Audio Headphone amp which has a reputation as hands down the ultimate, amongst a few others.
I will tell you this, the V+2 is not that far behind at all. While it lacks the overall depth and ultimate bass impact of the Headtrip, the V2 actually had my toes tapping more often and my head bopping ! It has a unique energy that is very engaging and it kept me interested in listening to my music for hours on end without fatigue. It's strength to me, is its leading edge attack and midrange energy. It's still plenty impactful and the V2 is less grainy and more refined sounding than previous versions. I kept the V2 while still having the Headtrip for a few months because I didn't want to let go of it, but was finally forced to to recoup some of the Headtrip cost. I'm still a fan of Burson.

As a side note, i also bought the Oppo dac with the Ess sabre pro 9038 at that time and the difference between it and the internal 9018 one in the V2+ was minimal.
Slightly less glare, but that's pretty much it. Not a deal breaker, but if/when Burson releases an updated dac board with the 9038 chip on it, I'd likely buy it but i wouldn't rush to do so.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back