New Burson Conductor - V2 and V2+
Aug 4, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #736 of 1,276
That must be the case.
Looking into my future I see hours of A-B'ing both dac and pre outputs to see which volume control suits my tastes better.
Uggghhhh. This madness never ends.

Aug 4, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #737 of 1,276
I just purchased the v2+ and I'm a little confused about something.

I thought the dac output was fixed. When I leave the v2+ via the dac outputs to my integrated, I can still control the volume from the burson.
Am I correct in assuming both dac output and pre output can be controlled from the burson? Well, I know that but does the pre output use the Texas instruments analog volume and the dac output uses the dsp volume control on the Sabre chip?

If your using a digital input, volume is handled by the Sabre Dac.

Aug 4, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #738 of 1,276
.....regardless of which outputs you choose (dac outs it or pre outs).

Aug 4, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #739 of 1,276
More people should know about this and I'm glad we're discussing it.
Burson's "dac output" label is misleading IMO.

Aug 5, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #740 of 1,276
I noticed the same thing and was surprised. I sent a note to Alex at Burson asking about this around a week ago and have got no answer.
I believe that your analysis is correct based on a review I read (can't find it now) but without official confirmation, I am not sure.
He should reply you later. So far, they have always replied me. Sometimes there is a delay if they are really swamped :)

Aug 5, 2017 at 3:22 AM Post #741 of 1,276
More people should know about this and I'm glad we're discussing it.
Burson's "dac output" label is misleading IMO.

How do you figure that?

I've asked Alex about this before and he confirmed that it's correct.

The volume output of the DAC out is, as someone else already stated, handled digitally for this output. Sound from analog sources doen not play through the DAC out output (hence DAC out :wink:)

Aug 5, 2017 at 4:45 AM Post #742 of 1,276
Just saying that when I see "dac out" I assume it's a fixed signal and I'm only using the unit as a dac.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #743 of 1,276
I guess it would make sense to use the dac out when feeding it a digital signal and use the pre out when feeding an analog signal. But what happens if you try to use the pre outs when feeding a digital signal?
Would the signal be attenuated twice? Once via dsp in the Sabre then again with the Texas pga?
I doubt this is true but still I wonder....

I bought my v2+ new from a dealer. There was no owner's manual inside. This is my fourth Burson product and I always had a manual. I downloaded a manual and I must say, it's pretty uninformative. It mentions nothing about what's going on with the dac and pre outs.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #744 of 1,276
He should reply you later. So far, they have always replied me. Sometimes there is a delay if they are really swamped :)
We were communicating pretty regularly. But my last note was two weeks ago... I will resend the message. But really I figured out everything that I asked him.
As to the manual. I got mine directly from them. It had no manual included in the box. I did look to download one right away, but there was nothing they had on the site that corresponded exactly to the V2+. I got the one for the Conductor. It matches, but again ..as someone else mentions, it is quite brief and generally not real helpful in understanding all of the functionality of the unit. It does cover one thing that I wondered about. The line out does mute with headphones plugged in. I am not sure why many designer use this feature. For me it is not helpful at all.

Anyway, all that aside I do like what I am hearing. I have maybe 120 hours on it. I have not spent much time critically listening. But an hour or so with the HE1K made me smile a lot.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #745 of 1,276
Correction:

Chances are through the dac out the volume knob works just like Windows "volume", meaning it changes only the db and not the actual volume of the signal.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #746 of 1,276
Probably so.
So has anyone tried using the pre outs when feeding a digital signal yet?

Aug 5, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #747 of 1,276
Probably so.
So has anyone tried using the pre outs when feeding a digital signal yet?

Yes but never for critical listening.

Aug 5, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #749 of 1,276
We were communicating pretty regularly. But my last note was two weeks ago... I will resend the message. But really I figured out everything that I asked him.
As to the manual. I got mine directly from them. It had no manual included in the box. I did look to download one right away, but there was nothing they had on the site that corresponded exactly to the V2+. I got the one for the Conductor. It matches, but again ..as someone else mentions, it is quite brief and generally not real helpful in understanding all of the functionality of the unit. It does cover one thing that I wondered about. The line out does mute with headphones plugged in. I am not sure why many designer use this feature. For me it is not helpful at all.

Anyway, all that aside I do like what I am hearing. I have maybe 120 hours on it. I have not spent much time critically listening. But an hour or so with the HE1K made me smile a lot.
Yes I know what you mean.

In my case, I had a problem playing native DSD256 files, which eventually after 6 months, I figured out on my own. Before, I could only play up to DSD128.

Aug 5, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #750 of 1,276
I don't have a large amount of DSD.. and I don't think any (other than some demo pieces) 256. But I am curious, what was your solution. Who knows... I may get something in DSD 256 that I want to listen to one day...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back