NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Feb 24, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #2,762 of 2,884
So i decided to experiment with "venting" the cups last night by inserting some folded business cards between the earpads and the cups at the locations shown in his photo. With the cards folded twice (4 thcknesses), I could notice a difference. When I folded one of the cards again (8 thicknesses) and inserted it at the bottom, things really opened up. Having a large vent at the higher location was not as pleasant, so I stayed with a smaller vent at the upper positions and a larger vent on the bottom. Just need to experiment a bit more before making it more permanent.

Feb 27, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #2,764 of 2,884
I just replaced the stock earpads with the Brainwavz Angled Pleather pads.

The sound has definitely changed although I cannot put a finger on what exactly. They're definitely more pleasant now. But the punch in the bass seems to be gone. That's a minus for me.

I destroyed the stock pads to salvage the mounting rings. I kind of regret that now - should have kept them as well. But anyway, just for comfort alone, the Brainwavz are totally worth it. The stock caused itching around the ears and didn't look great either, with the flint and hair and dust stuck to them.

So I'd recommend the Brainwavz but keep the stock pads as well.

Mar 10, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #2,765 of 2,884
I've been playing with some different pads with my HE400s, and thought I'd share some measurements and impressions.

Stock Pads: Not bad, the mids are nice and smooth, but the treble can be a bit harsh. The bass is good overall, but the subbass roll off is noticeable.

Focus Pads: A marginal upgrade over the stock pads. The treble is a bit smoother, and the sub-bass is better, but still lacking.

Shure 840 Pads: The sub-bass roll off is gone, but the upper mids/lower treble is pushed down, making the 10khz peak noticeable.

HM5 Angled pleather pads: Honestly, very disappointing. The bass is fine, but there is a noticeable resonance in the mids and treble that can make them sound a bit harsh. 

T50RP Pads: Woah now, these sound great. The bass is nice and neutral, and the mids are elevated to the point where the 10khz "peak" is more like a bump. They are a bit bright, they have essentially no noticeable resonance, and thus are never harsh.

T50RP Pads Modded (Rolled up TP under pads): Even better than the standard T50RP, the bump at 10khz is gone, and bass is still neutral.

Stock:

Focus Pads

Shure 840 Pads

HM5 Pleather Pads

T50RP Pads

Modded T50RP pads

Mar 26, 2017 at 11:31 PM Post #2,767 of 2,884
T50RP Pads: Woah now, these sound great. The bass is nice and neutral, and the mids are elevated to the point where the 10khz "peak" is more like a bump. They are a bit bright, they have essentially no noticeable resonance, and thus are never harsh.[COLOR=AEC3DA]
[/COLOR][COLOR=AEC3DA]
[/COLOR]
T50RP Pads Modded (Rolled up TP under pads): Even better than the standard T50RP, the bump at 10khz is gone, and bass is still neutral.

Where can these 2 pads be purchased?

Apr 7, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #2,769 of 2,884
New to me HE-400S arrived at my house last night.  They have the Focus A pads installed and the grille mod.  After a couple hours off and on of listening to music and gaming I came away very impressed.  The 400S with the focus A pads are super comfortable (even moreso than the Audioquest Nighthawk that I was demo'ing at the same time) and the sound quality is exactly what I am looking for in a good all around set of headphones.

They definitely have the nicest and most detailed mids of all the cans I have tried so far along with bass and treble that is present but not to much or too little.  

I've got them plugged in to a Lyr 2 with LISST coming out of a Metrum Musette and that combo with the HE-400S is smooth, snappy and musical.  

I also have a black Jotunheim that I ordered from Schiit a week or so ago on the way and am looking forward to trying the 400S with a balanced XLR cable out of the Jot once it arrives.

Honestly, I have nothing but good things to say about the 400S so far.  My first impressions with it are very strong, especially considering their price.

Apr 7, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #2,770 of 2,884
Nice to hear that you're impressed. Can I ask what kind of music you are playing with them?

I really have to drag my lazy ass over to the shop to try them out.

Apr 7, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #2,771 of 2,884
I favor rock, electronica and acoustic but also listen to a little bit of jazz, classical and even pop at times.  Eric Clapton and BB King's "Key to the Highway" was really good but honestly the 400S did well with pretty much everything I tried last night.

Apr 8, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #2,772 of 2,884
Thanks for the specifics.

Shane D

Apr 16, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #2,773 of 2,884
i picked up the 400s the other day with the focal pads and really enjoying them so far.  I was using the sennheiser hd 598 se and was looking for better sound.  I was originally using the hifiman with my fiio e17k and fiio x5 2nd gen dap and was not really that impressed.  I picked up a jds labs the element and using with my surface book and now I am very happy with the sound now will be selling the 598's

Apr 16, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #2,774 of 2,884
  i picked up the 400s the other day with the focal pads and really enjoying them so far.  I was using the sennheiser hd 598 se and was looking for better sound.  I was originally using the hifiman with my fiio e17k and fiio x5 2nd gen dap and was not really that impressed.  I picked up a jds labs the element and using with my surface book and now I am very happy with the sound now will be selling the 598's

Good to hear.  The sensitivity of the HE-400S makes them sound really good on mobile devices but once you get something with some real power to it (like your The Element) you can really hear what they are capable of.  I've actually got them plugged into a Jotunheim right now via an XLR cable on high gain (high gain improves the detail of the midrange to my ears) and about 9 o clock is about as high as I want to turn the volume pot.  I find the 400S with the Focus A pads into the Jotunheim to be a very good combination.

Apr 17, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #2,775 of 2,884
I just posted a little classical music headphone shootout here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/844732/classical-music-bang-for-the-buck-headphone-shootout

where (spoiler) the 400S came out on top. I hope it will be of interest or use to classical music-loving folks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back