Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Jul 20, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #4,936 of 8,051
1. M1060 question: I intentionally kept the fabric under the stock pads. But I also kept the fabric on the Audeze lambskin pads. I think cskippy had cut out the Vegan fabric. In my ongoing attempt to perfect the sound of these headphones, I'm wondering what effect having both fabrics over the driver is likely having. And if getting rid of one is recommend, which one, the stock fabric or the one on the Audeze pads? I don't like the thought of taking scissors to the Audeze pads so I'm leaning toward taking off the stock fabric. I don't think that'd void the warranty. The thing about the Audeze pad fabric is that it kind of warps a little, that is, it's not stretched completely taut; there's a little bit of slack there.

2. What Tullebukk said. Like him, I'm wondering what the Vegan pads sound like.
since you have both leather and vegan pads, how do they compare? always wanted to know.. :D

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #4,937 of 8,051
I didn't try it on my pair but I think that the stock fabric will attenuate the highs and a little bass. The Vegan fabric will have a similar effect but should mostly only affect the treble. I think someone tried no fabric at all and it was too bright.

Jul 20, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #4,938 of 8,051
I have to say that the more I use my m560's the more I love them. I have them paired with the XB700 earpads, but I don't have those earpads attached. I just pop off the regular pads, put them to the side, and just line up the XB pads and let the clamping force keep everything in place. Works great! Base goes up a bunch like that for some reason, and the overall experience is very nice. I tried using XB500 pads, but they were still a tad too small for me. The XB700s were bigger and better for me.

lol thats what I do!!! cheers man :) love my m560's and giant sony pads too, its great combo. m560 with stock pads is terrible in comparison, to my ears at least. i prefer m560 aond giant sony pads over m1060 stock too. more soundstage and airiness, and still getting a nice bass slam after earpad change.

Jul 21, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #4,939 of 8,051
Interesting - those XB700 pads look like they are the right size for the M1060s based on the item description, though I am not sure how well they would work. The only reason I would consider them is because of the larger earhole (and price).

Anyone try them?

Jul 21, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #4,940 of 8,051
Interesting - those XB700 pads look like they are the right size for the M1060s based on the item description, though I am not sure how well they would work. The only reason I would consider them is because of the larger earhole (and price).

Anyone try them?

Haha huh? Just read one post before. :D Also, Zeos did this in his review.

Jul 21, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #4,942 of 8,051
2. What Tullebukk said. Like him, I'm wondering what the Vegan pads sound like.

since you have both leather and vegan pads, how do they compare? always wanted to know.. :D

Looses some of the bass. I decided to go back to the leathers and keep these as back up since they are discontinued.

I ended up ditching the magnetic adapter and stuck everything down with the o-double sided tape. Threw the stock pad over the driver too, with shop towel paper under the outer grill. Prefer this sound the most.

Jul 21, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #4,943 of 8,051
Looses some of the bass. I decided to go back to the leathers and keep these as back up since they are discontinued.

I ended up ditching the magnetic adapter and stuck everything down with the o-double sided tape. Threw the stock pad over the driver too, with shop towel paper under the outer grill. Prefer this sound the most.

Noooice!

Have you tried without outer foam at all? Can't use it like that for long due to dust etc, but I really liked it that way. Felt like more air and somehow less sibilance (the m1060's are only sibilant for me sometimes, this fixes that). I Will need to get some pantyhose or something like that and mod some sort of dust cover for the drivers, I think.. :D

Jul 21, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #4,944 of 8,051
Noooice!

Have you tried without outer foam at all? Can't use it like that for long due to dust etc, but I really liked it that way. Felt like more air and somehow less sibilance (the m1060's are only sibilant for me sometimes, this fixes that). I Will need to get some pantyhose or something like that and mod some sort of dust cover for the drivers, I think.. :D
You might also want to try silk organza, probably more acoustically transparent than most pantyhose, unless they are silk also, which will make them pretty pricy, $50-75 according to my GF when I used one of her good pairs by mistake

Jul 21, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #4,945 of 8,051
Noooice!

The stock covers didn't work with the magnets. They werent strong enough to make contact through them. I also felt that the adapters didn't seal well. Now the same music I listen to is more detailed.

Jul 21, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #4,948 of 8,051
I haven't changed anything since my original mod. I'm still very pleased with it. I wrote this for someone else but thought it answered your questions:

M1060 is an Audeze clone, I think LCD-3F. Stock form is not bad, but has a couple short coming. The mid range, 1kHz, is pushed up a little too much making vocals sound shouty, and reverb come forward unnaturally so. The treble is nicely rolled off but has to many peaks and dips, a consequence of the leather pads and internal grill structure. Changing the pads to the Audeze Velour Leather Free pads helps lower the 1kHz bump and smooths out some of the treble. Compared to stock, the clarity and resolution is greatly improved due to less internal reflections. They might seem dark to some, and they were for me. I wanted a little more sub bass and treble, so I added a 3 inch paper towel underneath the back grill on top of the existing foam. This further reduces the 1kHz bump and raises the sub bass and treble. They now have a nice downward tilting frequency response with no harsh peaks. The imaging for gaming is second to none, especially with surround sound processing such as Creative SBX. My only issues are the slight veiled sound, like it's coming from behind a layer of cloth, there is excellent clarity and definition, just the sound doesn't seem as immediate as the TH-X00 or HD650. Don't get this confused with transient response as it is still quite good. I think it has to do with the grill design they use. I haven't had any problems with my pair, although others have had wood crack, bad connectors/cables, and the strap come undone.

M1060 modded would be my vote because they provide a similar level of bass as the TH-X00 but with a more reference and open sound, no boomy sounds here. They have a slightly less forward midrange, lower treble compared to HD650, which I also prefer. The treble is smoother than the TH-X00, almost as smooth as the HD650 but also has more air or extension in the last octave compared to HD650 which is lacking in this regard.

The M1060 is also the easiest to drive, which is a huge plus. It works just fine from a smart phone or DAP. It's one other weakness is the short cable, which can be nice but usually snag mine, so I'll be getting a longer balanced cable.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

OK...Let's say I wanted to mimic your mods through EQ before doing them to be certain I like the change. Can you offer settings that would come close? Let's assume 20 band graphic, in 1db steps. Thanks!

Jul 21, 2017 at 9:51 PM Post #4,949 of 8,051
I just pulled off stock pads (with stock felt) and replaced with the ZMF cowhide pads and am not finding anything offensive about the experience. Albeit I've had a couple of glasses of pinot noir, but I've noticed the resemblance to my modded HD650's. Maybe I'm off my rocker but these are a great value for a well performing, affordable planar.:)

Jul 21, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #4,950 of 8,051
OK...Let's say I wanted to mimic your mods through EQ before doing them to be certain I like the change. Can you offer settings that would come close? Let's assume 20 band graphic, in 1db steps. Thanks!
Just use this graph and make changes according to the stock frequency response.
9731407_l.png

Things like ringing and decay can't be replicated but you should at least get an idea of how it will sound.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back