Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Jun 23, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #4,591 of 8,051
I have some on order from B&H also. I have also thought about canceling. The conformation email I received when ordering says that no monies would be withdrawn until the order ships but the money was withdrawn from PayPal right away. So I need reimbursement.

The other reason I'm thinking about canceling is that I'm very happy the way they sound with the stock pads. I have some experience with switching pads & textures and have an idea what changes I can expect from the Vegans. Also knowing from what others have said here. And I don't want to alter the sound in that direction.

But, then again, I wondered if the Vegans would fit and attach to my Q701s. I've wanted to change those pads pretty much right after I got them. Does anyone know if they can be adapted to the Q701s?

Jun 23, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #4,592 of 8,051
So I own the m560's and have liked them a lot since I've been using them. I only bought them a few weeks ago. Like many others here though, the lack of bass is a bit disappointing on some tracks. I was wondering if anyone has found a way to mod these to potentially increase the bass response?

Jun 23, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #4,593 of 8,051
So I own the m560's and have liked them a lot since I've been using them. I only bought them a few weeks ago. Like many others here though, the lack of bass is a bit disappointing on some tracks. I was wondering if anyone has found a way to mod these to potentially increase the bass response?
Couple with a higher power (better components) amp for punchier and tighter bass/sub-bass. The M1060s take EQ pretty well, so Real Bass Exicter DSP can be handy if you use Foobar2k.

Jun 23, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #4,594 of 8,051
Couple with a higher power (better components) amp for punchier and tighter bass/sub-bass. The M1060s take EQ pretty well, so Real Bass Exicter DSP can be handy if you use Foobar2k.

m560. not m1060. I also am using my creative xonar sound card and equalizer software which helps, but when comparing to my logitech ue 6000, the m560 just lack that punch I enjoy on some songs that the ue 6000s bring out. I just wondering if there was a physical mod that could be done to bring that bass out a bit so I don't have to switch headphones as much.

Jun 23, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #4,595 of 8,051
I have some on order from B&H also. I have also thought about canceling. The conformation email I received when ordering says that no monies would be withdrawn until the order ships but the money was withdrawn from PayPal right away. So I need reimbursement.

The other reason I'm thinking about canceling is that I'm very happy the way they sound with the stock pads. I have some experience with switching pads & textures and have an idea what changes I can expect from the Vegans. Also knowing from what others have said here. And I don't want to alter the sound in that direction.

But, then again, I wondered if the Vegans would fit and attach to my Q701s. I've wanted to change those pads pretty much right after I got them. Does anyone know if they can be adapted to the Q701s?

Yeah, it stated that it would be charged imminently of PayPal was used. Which make the lack in any concrete date even worse. It's starting to border the ridiculous!

Man, I did not like the M560 at all. The lack of bass was just too much for me. I also found the vocals "shouty", maybe because I was trying to turn up the volume to get some bass. I have a setup with decent power at that couldn't get any kind of satisfactory bass response from the headphones.

Jun 23, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #4,596 of 8,051
m560.
m560. not m1060. I also am using my creative xonar sound card and equalizer software which helps, but when comparing to my logitech ue 6000, the m560 just lack that punch I enjoy on some songs that the ue 6000s bring out. I just wondering if there was a physical mod that could be done to bring that bass out a bit so I don't have to switch headphones as much.

I haven't heard the M560 personally with this mod, but seems like an interesting thing to try:
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/monoprice-monolith-m1060-and-m560-planar-headphones.820107/page-26

Jun 23, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #4,597 of 8,051
I just completed the vegan pad, stock felt, and PT mod on my M1060s. I really enjoyed these headphones stock for the last 2 months. With the mods, they sound just as good as they did stock, but with added comfort. If there's a drop in sub-bass, I barely notice it. Bass still sounds good and plentiful.

I tried them with the vegan felt on (on top of the stock felt) and then I cut the vegan felt out. In all honesty, I couldn't really tell the difference. I must not have a trained ear, but I can confirm that they still sound great and the ability to swap between the soft vegan pads and the stock pads is a plus.

The only perceived difference I could distinguish was that the vegans make the sound more airy. Everything felt more "in my head" before the vegans, and after they feel a bit more separated. I'm not an audiophile by any means and don't quite have the vocabulary to describe what I'm hearing, but the M1060s provide me the most pleasant listening experience of all the headphones I own so far.

I run these out of a Liquid Carbon via SE and they sound great. I have an XLR cable on the way and hope it will improve the sound quality even further.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #4,599 of 8,051
Awesome! I'm glad you're enjoying the mods. I'm surprised they're better than the HD800 but that's an apples to orange comparison anyways.

Thanks!

The HD800Ss are pretty incredible with their wide sound stage and very clear and detailed sound. I can even boost the bass on them to a satisfying level when I want to listen to more EDM like music. I'm always surprised by just how good they sound when I put them on. My deal with the HD800Ss is that they sound great for some music, but not all. When I want to listen to classical, rock, metal, etc, I'll grab the HD800Ss.

With the M1060s, I feel comfortable listening to any type of music. It sounds great with everything. Not as detailed as the HD800Ss, but still great. The M1060s feel more intimate because of their smaller sound stage too.

If I were to compare them, I'd say the HD800Ss are like a microscope, while the M1060s are like beer goggles. :)

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #4,600 of 8,051
Hahahaha beer goggles! Love it! It's true though, I would rather have a headphone that I can listening to anything with and sound great while doing so.

Jun 24, 2017 at 12:58 AM Post #4,601 of 8,051
USB has issues in general. It's due to how data is transmitted and received. Error checking and things like that aren't as good plus there is generally higher jitter on USB plus other awful computer power issues. SPDIF is almost always better. Just an FYI, I have a 2016 Macbook Pro and it's literally unusable with USB for audio. I had to put the Wyrd in the chain to make it sound like anything resembling audio.

Mine is an early 2015. I don't know if they made any changes from then to when yours was built, and I'm certainly not any kind of expert on USB/audio, but mine sounds quite good ... actually I'd say very good.

Jun 24, 2017 at 1:03 AM Post #4,602 of 8,051
Are you plugged in or on battery? Mine was tested on battery. It's not my listening setup only for measurements so I just made it work and didn't give it much thought.

Jun 24, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #4,604 of 8,051
Heading back to Spain Sunday or Monday and will be selling my black Vegans for 55 euro. Will be shipping from Spain. PP fees and shipping will be extra. Going up on the sales thread, but if anyone's interested PM me ... Not in perfect condition, as there is some material that has been left behind on the cans from removal, but you would not see it once installed and of course would not affect performance at all.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back