Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Jun 21, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #4,576 of 8,051
It's not that the M1060 is a bad headphone, I love it, especially modded. However, I prefer the TH-X00 modded because it allows me to listen at a lower volume and I can still hear a very balanced sound from lowest bass to highest highs. I also need the money for the Eddie Current Aficionado which is my endgame amp.

I'll let you guys know when I put them up if my friend doesn't buy them. They'll come with a printed frequency response graph for stock and modded for easy EQing if that's your fancy.

Jun 21, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #4,577 of 8,051
It's not that the M1060 is a bad headphone, I love it, especially modded. However, I prefer the TH-X00 modded because it allows me to listen at a lower volume and I can still hear a very balanced sound from lowest bass to highest highs. I also need the money for the Eddie Current Aficionado which is my endgame amp.

I'll let you guys know when I put them up if my friend doesn't buy them. They'll come with a printed frequency response graph for stock and modded for easy EQing if that's your fancy.
Ah... these TH-X00 talks always make me having 2nd thoughts about not buying it and instead went for the m1060...

Jun 21, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #4,578 of 8,051
Stock, the TH-X00 has a lot more bass than M1060 even modded and I find that the bass intrudes into the lower mids making sounds have too much reverb/decay and it's too warm overall. Plus there is a 10kHz peak so it's bassy and piercing depending on the track. Modded is another story. They went from sitting on the shelf never used to be almost exclusively used now.

Jun 21, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #4,579 of 8,051
Stock, the TH-X00 has a lot more bass than M1060 even modded and I find that the bass intrudes into the lower mids making sounds have too much reverb/decay and it's too warm overall. Plus there is a 10kHz peak so it's bassy and piercing depending on the track. Modded is another story. They went from sitting on the shelf never used to be almost exclusively used now.
Aww... you are not helping, lol

Jun 22, 2017 at 12:05 AM Post #4,580 of 8,051
Ah... these TH-X00 talks always make me having 2nd thoughts about not buying it and instead went for the m1060...

I found myself in the same situation. I've recently spent more time with the level-1 Lawton modded TH-X00 (they sound so smooth) than the Vegan padded M1060's. If after receiving the balanced cables I see no improvements the m1060s are going on sale and I'll be purchasing LCD-2s.

Jun 22, 2017 at 2:02 AM Post #4,581 of 8,051
1) Schiit products have issues with USB or USB has audio issues in general?

2) Does that mean USB 3 ports are worse for audio than USB 2 and, again, is that in general or just Schiit? Both USB 2 and 3 have very fast data transfer rates. 3 is much faster: 480Mbps for 2 and 5Gbps for 3. I use a USB 2 port to plug my DragonFly Red into.

While we're on the topic, how about USB-C? Everything I have read says it's great for audio. Since I'm going to buy a new MacBook, I was looking at the different models, mostly at the Air because it retains a USB A port (and SD card slot). If I get the MacBook Pro it looks like I'll have to use an adapter to plug the DaragonFly into, and I just don't like the idea. I should probably take this to the DragonFly thread though.

As luck would have it an errand took me right by Best Buy, and I stopped in to take a look. Yup, they had a bunch more headphones in that studio section, though they didn't have the NightHawk, which is the one I wanted to hear. It's hard to judge at Best Buy with all the noise, but I walked out of there not wanting any of those headphones and happier than ever with the HE-400i and M1060.

Yeah, like cskippy said, there just tends to be more USB issues in general. I know WIndows 10 Creators Update is helping with that though. And I think some of the newer DAC chips are starting to play nicer with USB. But for my Macbook Pro 2010 I can't use the USB on my dacs, it often freaks out and gets crazy. I just use the optical out of the headphone port.

Here is Schiit's spiel about USB:
http://schiit.com/faq/usb-problems

Jun 22, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #4,582 of 8,051
I found myself in the same situation. I've recently spent more time with the level-1 Lawton modded TH-X00 (they sound so smooth) than the Vegan padded M1060's. If after receiving the balanced cables I see no improvements the m1060s are going on sale and I'll be purchasing LCD-2s.

Have you listened to a 2016 LCD-2? I gotta say at the prices they go for now, I am super tempted to pick one up. Especially since it sounds like the 2016 revision has gotten more consistent in tuning and closer to the sound of the pre-fazors. I'm just worried they will be too laid back and not as engaging as the M1060.

Jun 22, 2017 at 5:26 AM Post #4,584 of 8,051
M1060 stock and modded has more clarity. While both are quite good at showing detail or minor changes and intricacies, I find TH-X00 to have slightly better resolving capabilities which has nothing to do with frequency response.

Jun 22, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #4,585 of 8,051
Which has more clarity? THX-00 or M1060?
Which are more detailed? THX-00 or M1060?

For my modded M1060 and TH-X00 PH I would say the TH-X00 PH has better clarity and the M1060 slightly more detail, though they both bring different things in regards to microdetails. With the Audeze pads and PT mod, the M1060 is definitely more sterile/flat sounding than the TH-X00 PH with selective Lawton audio dampening and J-money pads using custom attenuators. The TH-X00 PH are my default go-to headphones for music listening...it is such a great experience with them for most cases. Not as tolerant of hot or bad recordings as the M1060 though... VERY V shaped and the highs will absolutely give everything to you. The highs seem to be just barely, slightly more forward than the low end.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #4,587 of 8,051
Would the STOCK M1060's be for me if i am looking for an open and somewhat smooth and warm sound with good bass? (Mostly listening to Electronic and Pop) I already have the PSB M4U 1 for neutrality. My only worry is that they will be too bright with the 5k rinking/peak that some hear, as i am a bit sensitive to treble/sibilance. Also, would the Schiit Stack 2 (Non Uber) be a good pairing? The NFB-11.28 is out of my budget.

TH-X00 / Emu Teak for EDM & pop. More slam than M1060.

Jun 22, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #4,588 of 8,051
Yeah, like cskippy said, there just tends to be more USB issues in general...But for my Macbook Pro 2010 I can't use the USB on my dacs, it often freaks out and gets crazy. I just use the optical out of the headphone port.

My MacBook stopped recognizing my Meridian Explorer2 after a day, so I returned it and got a DragonFly Red, which has been working perfectly so far. I'm getting very nice sound out of USB.

Jun 22, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #4,589 of 8,051
Lately I been eyeing on the MrSpeaker AEON, does anyone have a comparison between the M1060 and AEON? Is it an upgrade to the M1060 or should I use the fund to get a better DAC with M1060?

Jun 22, 2017 at 11:31 PM Post #4,590 of 8,051
Well, think I'm going to cancel the Audeze Vegan pads from B&H, It been a while and they still don't know when they will get them. I've b arly touched them since getting the iSine, as they sound great and are so convenient.

Part of me says cancel, the other parts says wait.... decisions... decisions...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back