Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Apr 30, 2017 at 1:01 AM Post #3,361 of 8,051
I have a pair of PSB M4U2 headphones that suffered a crack in the headband and was totally sad to learn that it is not repairable. The "factory" says sorry, nothing can be done. So I grabbed a piece of tough plastic and strapped it on with electrical tape at both ends so it looks like ass but still works. My m1060s will arrive on Wednesday. I did not pay attention to how long the warranty is but I am glad it's five years. Still, I'd prefer to not have to deal with repairs. IEMs have an advantage. :)

Apr 30, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #3,363 of 8,051
Here's hope that some boffin will post a 3D file for the wooden ring one day so I can print it and replace the crackly wood. Wouldn't that be great? Can't see the acoustic reason to use wood for such an open headphone so it must be the looks. Until then, if it cracks and the structure is not affected, I might fill the crack with some resin and wrap the rings in carbon fibre 3M vinyl or something like that. For me, the sound is all that matters.

Apr 30, 2017 at 1:58 AM Post #3,364 of 8,051
Wood is used for the same reason guitars are made out of wood instead of plastic. It has a more natural resonance compared to other materials, for obvious reasons. Most speakers are made of wood for the same reason.

Apr 30, 2017 at 3:32 AM Post #3,365 of 8,051
So I've gotten back home from the weekend and found some napkins, it's folded into 4 squares, so I unfold it all and cut out the 3cm circle of the napkin at it's fully thinnest unfolded thickness?

Napkin vs Paper Towel same effect I assume since it's been recommended?

Apr 30, 2017 at 5:37 AM Post #3,367 of 8,051
But are the impedance and sensitivity the same? The first time that O&E hypothesis was mentioned up-thread it was with a link to a Verum Sonus review where they said the specs weren't the same as the M1060: https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/m...planar-headphones.820107/page-9#post-12996816

I can't really see the stator openings in your O&E pictures. For all I know that other post on thread page 9 could be right and it could be this driver in the O&E: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Planar-magnetic-headphone-with-great-bass_60452908630.html

LE:
Oh, I just found the product page, so it is the E800P as mentioned up-thread, and yes, at that price I will immediately agree with anyone who says they sound terrible. :D

Does that not look like the driver Monoprice are using?

The specs between the above driver and the monoprice are very similar, the Monoprice is
Efficiency 96dB / 1mW whereas the Alibaba one is 93dB / 1mW
Frequency response of the Monoprice is 10Hz - 50kHz, and Alibaba 8Hz - 50kHz,

All the other specs and looks are the same,

Here are mine:
IMG_20170430_011021_zpsx3vhlpsk.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2017 at 8:12 AM Post #3,368 of 8,051
Has anybody's V2 M1060 made loud cracking sounds? I returned a seemingly perfect V1 and thought to myself "Watch my V2 end up having issues".

And so mine did, a loud snapping cracking noise, and I thought for sure that the wood had broken. But then I inspected the outside, and then the inside..and I don't see any cracks at all, the wood looks fine. And I've had it happen a second time since. So I'm thinking it might be the audio coming out of it, but didn't think to try muting it in time. Any idea what would be doing it?

Apr 30, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #3,369 of 8,051
The housing and driver of the OE vs Monoprice headphone might be virtually the same, but the earpads are entirely different. Earpads play a considerable role in a headphone's sound. Not just depending on the material they're made of, but the actual depth of the earpad, and the size and shape of the opening.

Apr 30, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #3,370 of 8,051
The housing and driver of the OE vs Monoprice headphone might be virtually the same, but the earpads are entirely different. Earpads play a considerable role in a headphone's sound. Not just depending on the material they're made of, but the actual depth of the earpad, and the size and shape of the opening.

I agree, and the stock O&E ones were rubbish, hence why I changed to velour Beyerdynamic ones.

Apr 30, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #3,371 of 8,051
Does that not look like the driver Monoprice are using?
Only approximately. You're still not showing the top and bottom slits, where the difference would be most apparent.

The specs between the above driver and the monoprice are very similar, the Monoprice is
Efficiency 96dB / 1mW whereas the Alibaba one is 93dB / 1mW
Frequency response of the Monoprice is 10Hz - 50kHz, and Alibaba 8Hz - 50kHz
Yeah, that settles what I was interested in determining here. They may be similar headphones but strictly speaking not a single component is the same between the Monolith M1060 and the O&E E800P, not even the driver. (I mean, with the possible exception of some nuts and bolts.)

Apr 30, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #3,372 of 8,051
Only approximately. You're still not showing the top and bottom slits, where the difference would be most apparent.

Yeah, that settles what I was interested in determining here. They may be similar headphones but strictly speaking not a single component is the same between the Monolith M1060 and the O&E E800P, not even the driver. (I mean, with the possible exception of some nuts and bolts.)

Whatever you say :)
Different equipment measures things differently.

Monoprice:
9717293.jpg

O&E:
IMG_20170430_143529_zpsqzlrcavk.jpg

IMG_20170430_143534_zpsruipyjur.jpg

Apr 30, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #3,373 of 8,051
Just watched the Z-review of these. Oh my god, I've got to try these. I would buy these immediately if I wasn't so sketchy on the build quality.

Apr 30, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #3,375 of 8,051
Do you guys think they're still likely to make changes / revisions? (Soon?)

I'm very keen to pull the trigger on these. But being in NZ, shipping and tax makes them pretty pricey.
Returning or getting replaced under warranty might cost as much US$100... Really need the QC issues sorted.

They seem like they're consistently in stock after the long break from revision 1. Obviously best to try sort out everything with revision 2, rather than slowly fix it with multiple revisions...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back