Mojo's Greatest Hits
Dec 10, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #139 of 222

I also discovered this group named Harpeth Rising. They are a very talented group of girls. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX0DnPp_CcA - Harpeth Rising - Dance Me To The End Of Love (Leonard Cohen)

Here is another from Harpeth:

Stairway to Heaven (the Mojo is good for the violin) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeBNYaCUhhU

Not quite the same, but these might be of interest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h2QC3nM-Ec
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpAZVpSnyY0

Dec 12, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #141 of 222
- having come of age in the early 70's....I love to revisit classics from that era through Mojo, here 
are two recommendations:

Court and Spark. - Joni Mitchell  '74

Ambrosia         -      Ambrosia.      '75

...the latter is a unique, sublime Beatles-inspired West Coast group.....produced by the legendary Alan Parsons

both albums sounds phenomenal, esp. Joni's....but just catch the first three tracks of Ambrosia
and be blissfully transported back to the early 70's!!!

amazing stuff.....both albums.....anyone else recently listened to these?

Dec 14, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #144 of 222

Avenged Sevenfold - The Stage 
It was mastered by Bob Ludwig, where he worked hard to keep the dynamics and transients intact.

i bought this exact album on release day ~~
anyways, on with the thread

Dec 26, 2016 at 3:40 AM Post #147 of 222
Sorry if this is off-topic or inappropriate but I'm having real trouble trying to buy some albums from HDTracks and 7digital.com.

The problem is they don't sell the vast majority of their catalogues to Australia due to regional content-licensing restrictions. In the case of 7Digital, their Australian storefront (ZDigital) is a pale shadow of the American site and it doesn't have the album I want, nor can I find anyone else that will sell it to me!

The funny thing is I've bought from HDTracks previously but they're no longer selling even those albums I successfully bought to Australia so they've obviously decided to enforce the restrictions more rigororously now than when I bought them.

Has anyone else run into similar problems and have any advice? I'm even happy to pay someone via PayPal to get them for me!

Dec 26, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #148 of 222
Sorry if this is off-topic or inappropriate but I'm having real trouble trying to buy some albums from HDTracks and 7digital.com.

The problem is they don't sell the vast majority of their catalogues to Australia due to regional content-licensing restrictions. In the case of 7Digital, their Australian storefront (ZDigital) is a pale shadow of the American site and it doesn't have the album I want, nor can I find anywhere else that will sell them to me!

The funny thing is I've bought from HDTracks previously but they're no longer even selling the albums I bought previously so they've obviously decided to enforce the restrictions more rigororously now than when I bought the albums.

Has anyone else run into similar problems and have any advice? I'm even happy to pay someone via PayPal to get them for me!

Although not regional, my issue has been selection.  My solution?  I've begun to import CDs as Apple Lossless into Mac.  I find that it is, overall, even cheaper than long term TIDAL, especially with buying and trading in used CDs.  (I have another issue with TIDAL:  when I play my online playlists, they impose their own selection of music on it, once in a while, as "advertising."  Thus far, it is has been music I despise with vial lyrics and I cannot find a way to turn it off...stuff I would not want my kids to hear). 

HD Tracks does not have all that I seek, and waiting for sales to make them reasonably priced is another issue.  One of my favorite albums "Modern Times" is not even available on HD Tracks..  

I picked up the entire Dylan catalog (47 CD set) for under $100, and over two days, loaded them into iTunes as lossless. 

I know this is not what you asked, but I thought I'd throw it out there for your consideration.  Mojo and Apple lossless = fine listening!  

Dec 26, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #149 of 222
Hey there,

Just listened to Metallicas Hardwired JAPAN Version SHMCD. Listened to an EAC Rip of the SHMCD.

The First track of CD 3 'Lords of Summer' has a long, impressive double bass drum action going on from about 1.10min
The interaction and layering of cymbals and double bass drum is astonishing and at high volume gives a vibrating sensation.
It tempts me to pump up the Volume to double green with Nighthawks...I usually don't go higher than yellow /red :)

Cheers

Dec 26, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #150 of 222
Hey thanks. Yeah it's not usually standard CDs I have trouble finding but the high-res ones or in this case a live album that was never released outside the US as far as I'm aware (and only ever released digitally).

I sometimes have trouble finding foreign language music too, but I recently found ZDigital (7Digital) to have a good range of some of the French pop stars I like, though not all in lossless or better quality. 7Digital is strange because even for one artist they usually have a mix of qualities, like they have some albums as lossless, others as mp3 only and others still at higher resolution. I haven't bought anything less than lossless quality in a long time (years) and I'm certainly not about to start now.

Lossless is still good, but if it's something I really like and there's a high-res version somewhere I'm usually keen to check it out and see how much better it is. My experience with 96/24 resolution so far has been quite positive.

I know I can resort to an importer/reseller who buys on your behalf and you then buy It it from them but it's not something I want to do often because they obviously mark up for the service. Guess I just have to suck it. Thanks globalisation!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back