Mojo's Greatest Hits
Jul 20, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #109 of 222
Aug 7, 2016 at 6:33 AM Post #111 of 222
Some of my afternoon Mojo's favourites. Sorry @Peter Hyatt if am not pointing out specific tracks; but I do believe Mojo's is bringing its magic on those albums...

Last album is: Benjamin Clementine - At Least For Now

Happy listening.
gs1000.gif

Sep 13, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #114 of 222
A recent "Mojo's Greatest Hits" moment. 

As some have posted elsewhere, the newly remastered "Beatles At the Hollywood Bowl" is much improved.  I compare it to the "Complete Hollywood Bowl" bootleg that has been in circulation for a long time, and the originally 1977 release.  

What I have noted with Mojo is Ringo's drumming. 

Commentators have written about it, giving him praise that he has not widely received and hearing the 'timing' (or lack of hearing any awkwardness!) via Mojo is really special.

I am learning about timing with Mojo, and this, in particular, may be a place to hear it.  It is said that without fold back speakers, they could not hear themselves, so it is quite raw and instinctive in play.  There seems to be a 'reckless abandon' to the drumming that is quite exciting.  

"Things We Said Today", via Mojo actually allows me to hear clear, distinct strumming, too.  

​I look forward to the Mojo accessory kit for even better mobility.  

Sep 15, 2016 at 8:35 AM Post #115 of 222
here is yet another:

http://live.brucespringsteen.net/live-music/0,14778/Bruce-Springsteen---The-E-Street-Band-mp3-flac-download-8-30-2016-MetLife-Stadium-East-Rutherford--NJ.html​

"New York City Serenade" the lossless file with the strings is beautiful.  That we can hear intimate acoustic guitar behind the clarity of the strings is something special.  I know some shy away from live recordings, while others are not big fans of Bruce on video or his lost New Jersey accent, but this performance is something else.  

Oct 3, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #117 of 222
I'm currently rediscovering my Leatherface collection through Mojo.
They are an English punk band which is often described as a mix of Hüsker Dü and Motorhead.
Mojo portrays the thin line between aggression and desperation of Frankie Stubbs voice in a way I haven't heard it before.
Before Mojo I always disliked the recessed nature of his voice in the recordings and it was hard to follow the lyrics. I always felt it was rather badly recorded. But now I get it :)
The album Mush is widely considered a classic in the genre and if you are somewhat interested in the genre you should check it out.
A easier access might be the recent album Stormy Petrel. Here the song Belly dancing stoat stands out to me. I can clearly hear Frankie inhale between
lyrics and the way he 'sings around the corner' really gets me :)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JRd1weXTuqw

Oct 21, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #118 of 222
Artist: Jonas Hellborg
Album: The Silent Life/Solo Bass
Track: Black Market (Edit: Deep Pig)
Source: Redbook CD 16-bit, 44kHz.

First, the man is f*ing amazing so anything he does is great. I just got this CD this week and, much to the wife's chagrin, lately I've been buying everything this man has produced. I found him via a path starting with Les Claypool, Buckethead and Shawn Lane. The Jonas Hellborg, Shawn Lane, Jeff Sipe collaborations are all got-damn amazing. 

The Silent Life is just Jonas with a bass. The particular track Black Market just came on and I was like, "Holy ****, I have a bass in my head." The sense of air, sound of the strings, etc is pretty awesome.

EDIT: Adding "Deep Pig" ... fingers gently touching the strings, the buzz/rattle of the strings ... attack and decay ...

Oct 21, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #120 of 222
  This sounds interesting...I am headed over to Tidal to see if they have it.  Thanks! 

update:  they have "Adventures in..." 

That's one I don't have (just started my Hellborg fascination lately), but it's both John McLaughlin AND Jonas Hellborg so it must be great :) I'll see if I can get a listen. Of course, feel free to share your thoughts.

EDIT: Reviews are mixed on Amazon (much due to electronic drum programming), but I'd still love to get a listen.

If you have any sources to listen to the below albums, give them a shot:

Personae
Abstract Logic
Temporal Analogues of Paradise
Time is the Enemy (sadly this was very much the case for Shawn Lane, RIP!)

They (Hellborg / Lane) started experimenting and getting into eastern/Indian music/sounds as well, which may or may not be your thing. It's definitely growing on me ...

Art Metal
Good People in Times of Evil
Icon
Kali's Son
Octave of the Holy Innocents
Paris (DVD)
The Jazz Raj

I got all of these within the past few weeks and have been greatly enjoying the journey ...

An interesting read on Shawn Lane: http://www.guitarworld.com/fast-lane-underappreciated-genius-and-vision-shawn-lane

Sound isn't great, but ... sha-damn ... (this said within the first couple minutes):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BphTJonmlnM
Also not great sonically:     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPTC7OHeUzA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back