Mojo's Greatest Hits
Dec 26, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #151 of 222
Hey there,

Just listened to Metallicas Hardwired JAPAN Version SHMCD. Listened to an EAC Rip of the SHMCD.

The First track of CD 3 'Lords of Summer' has a long, impressive double bass drum action going on from about 1.10min
The interaction and layering of cymbals and double bass drum is astonishing and at high volume gives a vibrating sensation.
It tempts me to pump up the Volume to double green with Nighthawks...I usually don't go higher than yellow /red :)

Cheers

Green means go...for it!!!

You can't harm the Mojo! :p

Dec 27, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #153 of 222
Dec 30, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #154 of 222
Bit of a strange one but I've been listening to the Dexter soundtrack (good show by the way), the separation of each instrument in the main title theme track is amazing.

You do notice so much more in certain tracks, and I didn't realise there is such a variation in the quality of recording, some are quite shocking. I just popped on Run by Snow Patrol, there is like this beeping sound at 4 seconds, and then again at 8, it continues through the entire track but i'm pretty certain it isn't supposed to be there.

Jan 2, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #155 of 222
Marian Hill   Act One

Sounds like Infected Mushroom with a really gifted young female singer!

.....incredible through Mojo!

Spoiler:   heavy bass-y lines! 

...lotsa fun!

Jan 3, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #156 of 222
This little beauty sure does bring your music alive, it's so musical. Just flicking through some old tracks, it doesn't fail to put a massive grin on your face!

EDIT: I forgot to mention the music
beyersmile.png
'Gods of Guitar', some great tracks if you enjoy anything with a guitar.

Jan 6, 2017 at 7:38 AM Post #157 of 222
I've been planning on dropping Tidal but then they announced the Masters section as Poly was being released!

Although Masters is small, I demo'd Fleetwood Mac "Rumors" from Masters yesterday via Mojo...great fidelity. 

Jan 6, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #158 of 222
I've been planning on dropping Tidal but then they announced the Masters section as Poly was being released!

Although Masters is small, I demo'd Fleetwood Mac "Rumors" from Masters yesterday via Mojo...great fidelity. 

Apparently the Tidal desktop app does the full decoding so you are essentially getting the whole MQA file.

Did you find any difference versus the standard redbook file. I was doing some listening to Tidal Masters yesterday but I didn't find any conclusive evidence that it's better than the original track; atleast on redbook cd.

Gonna do more testing when I have time.

Jan 9, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #159 of 222
I found that it was an improvement in quality; with the noticeable improvement in instrument definition and soundstage.  Since I know "The Last Waltz" album well, going to Clapton's "Further on Down the Road", the piano was a real standout in the "Masters" for me.  It was clear, off to the left, and with detail I did not recognize on a song and album version I have heard for more than 3 decades.  

I would like to add another "Mojo's Greatest Hits", as an oldie, "September" by Earth, Wind and Fire. 

Specifically, since Mojo handles the horns without sounding "bright" or "tinny", this recommendation is for the strings on this song!  

Mojo marvelously brings them out.  

Jan 10, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #160 of 222

Gaslighting Abbey - the first track on Steely Dan's "Two Against Nature" album -
to me embodies the artistic and musical genius of Donald Fagen -
and is also an amazing recording.

...the whole album is a recommended experience!

Jan 10, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #161 of 222

Holding on to Nothing - David Crosby is a genius track on his latest album Croz -
production and music unify magically. Embodying the spirit of California -
and maybe some influence from such peers as Brian Wilson,  Joni Mitchell, Neil Young...(among others).

Feb 7, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #163 of 222
An oldie for Mojo:

Elton John's "Someone Saved My Life Tonight" listening specifically for the cymbals; clear, distinct, and in particular, the length it lingers.  To my ears, it sounds "real", as if I am seated near the drummer in a live setting.  The cymbal has a prominent role in the opening.  

Feb 7, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #164 of 222
another oldie but cosmic classic:

The Yes Album.   1971

on Tidal'd decoded Master/MQA

the imaging, musicality and mix are excellent.

...Timeless!

Feb 7, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #165 of 222
  another oldie but cosmic classic:

The Yes Album.   1971

on Tidal'd decoded Master/MQA

the imaging, musicality and mix are excellent.

...Timeless!

Slightly off topic, but can you actually get Tidal to play decoded MQA on the Mojo?  

When I try, playback always stalls and am forced to check the "Bypass" box to restart.  This way seems to work correctly (as the light changes from green/yellow to red) but while the sound quality is very good, it would be the MQA encoded file played without the benefit of sw decoding.  

Incidentally, I have no such difficulty with my backup USB DAC (NuForce uDAC2) - except there's no light to verify playback resolution

Users who are viewing this thread

Back