Mission: Replace the HiFiMAN ear pads with other brand ear pads
Apr 19, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #601 of 756
  Thanks for your comparisons between the HM5 and Ori pads. I looks like they are quite close in terms of sound. Since I already have the HM5 (angled pleather) pads, however modded with cloth on the inner "walls" in order to absorb high frequency reflections, I feel it might not be worthwhile to buy the Ori pads.

However, since the opening in the Ori pads are notably larger, this could give a little lighter and more open or spacious sound. But you don't seem hear this?

Brainwavz angled sheepskin should not be too far off from Ori pads (lambskin)...but the angled pleathers to me are clearly inferior both in sound and comfort.

Apr 19, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #602 of 756
  Thanks for your comparisons between the HM5 and Ori pads. I looks like they are quite close in terms of sound. Since I already have the HM5 (angled pleather) pads, however modded with cloth on the inner "walls" in order to absorb high frequency reflections, I feel it might not be worthwhile to buy the Ori pads.

However, since the opening in the Ori pads are notably larger, this could give a little lighter and more open or spacious sound. But you don't seem hear this?

I had strips of microfiber cloth taped to the insides of the HM5s, but pulled them.  May have to go back to them.  Going to run without for a while to see how my brain adjusts, not to mention hear more music without cloth.  But if I run with the HM5s on the HE-560, I think the cloth will be back.

Because the Oris seem to compress a bit more, and because they aren't as deep (or angled) as the HM5s, I "feel" that the HM5s actually give my ears more room, which results in a slightly larger stage.  I felt the Oris impinging on my ears a bit, where I don't get the same feeling with the HM5s  One thing that having the drivers further from ones ears results in is less bass impact.  And maybe one gets moved back to the third row in the imaginary theater, as opposed to the front row.  Could be a (perceived) frequency thing, which, as you note, can be tamed/adjusted pretty easily.

Apr 19, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #603 of 756
  Brainwavz angled sheepskin should not be too far off from Ori pads (lambskin)...but the angled pleathers to me are clearly inferior both in sound and comfort.

In what way do you hear difference?

I decided on buying the pleathers because I knew I wanted to put cloth on the inner sides/walls of the pads no matter which pad I got. This makes the real leather versus protein "leather" a non-issue.

The reason for using velour or micro suede pads is as opposed to leather or pleather is that the fabrics will absorb treble where the skins will reflect a bit of treble which in turn will compromise imaging and micro details.

Edit: (See post # 569 in this thread for a photo of my modded HM5 pad.)

Apr 20, 2017 at 2:32 AM Post #604 of 756
  In what way do you hear difference?

I decided on buying the pleathers because I knew I wanted to put cloth on the inner sides/walls of the pads no matter which pad I got. This makes the real leather versus protein "leather" a non-issue.

The reason for using velour or micro suede pads is as opposed to leather or pleather is that the fabrics will absorb treble where the skins will reflect a bit of treble which in turn will compromise imaging and micro details.

Edit: (See post # 569 in this thread for a photo of my modded HM5 pad.)

I really the like LCD2F, and IMO the Audeze pads is also a big factor.
the HE-500 is more detailed and has much better highs...but lacks the punch and 3D imaging of the LCD2F.
The HE-500 with Ori pads gains the punchiness and slightly better imaging...I also prefer the highs with Ori pads compared to Brainwavz angled pleathers.

Apr 20, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #605 of 756
  I really the like LCD2F, and IMO the Audeze pads is also a big factor.
the HE-500 is more detailed and has much better highs...but lacks the punch and 3D imaging of the LCD2F.
The HE-500 with Ori pads gains the punchiness and slightly better imaging...I also prefer the highs with Ori pads compared to Brainwavz angled pleathers.

I've never had the pleasure of hearing any Audeze cans, but I have both vegan and leather pads for the HE-500.  They're an awkward fit, though, to say the least.  The HE-500 definitely lacks the imaging and 3D sound stage that the HE-560 and HE-5LE deliver (at least with mine).  I'm curious, which pads were you using with the HE-500 before you switched to the Oris?  I've yet to put the Oris on the HE-500, but it's on my To Do list.

Apr 20, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #606 of 756

I've never had the pleasure of hearing any Audeze cans, but I have both vegan and leather pads for the HE-500.  They're an awkward fit, though, to say the least.  The HE-500 definitely lacks the imaging and 3D sound stage that the HE-560 and HE-5LE deliver (at least with mine).  I'm curious, which pads were you using with the HE-500 before you switched to the Oris?  I've yet to put the Oris on the HE-500, but it's on my To Do list.

Before upgrading to Oris...I used Brainwavz angled pleathers on my HE-500.
Still using angled pleathers on my HE-400...I'm planning to upgrade them to either Brainwavz angled sheepskin (the upcoming round pads) or another set of Oris.

Apr 23, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #607 of 756
Threw some HM5 velour pads on my HE-560 last night in an attempt to tame a peaky glare.  They worked pretty well, so if you don't mind velour, they're not a bad option.

Apr 23, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #608 of 756
  Threw some HM5 velour pads on my HE-560 last night in an attempt to tame a peaky glare.  They worked pretty well, so if you don't mind velour, they're not a bad option.

I tried the HM5 velour on my HE-6, and removed the pads shortly after. They do take the treble down a bit, but the bass is not as strong and tight as with pleather.

This is exactly why I have covered the inner sides of the pleather pads with cloth as mentioned earlier: This way I get the sonic benefits of both velour (or micro suede) and leather/pleather.

Apr 27, 2017 at 4:33 AM Post #609 of 756
Hello,

If I understand you : modding the inner (p)leather pads with some some microfiber reduce the trebble peak and conserve the bass ?

It's exactly what I m looking for : reduce this dam trebble peak :D

Regards,

Apr 27, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #610 of 756
Hello,

If I understand you : modding the inner (p)leather pads with some some microfiber reduce the trebble peak and conserve the bass ?

It's exactly what I m looking for : reduce this dam trebble peak :D

Regards,

Yep, that's the idea. Different materials will probably affect the sound differently.

Jun 13, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #614 of 756
Hello guys,

How did you manage to moun the zmf oval cowhide pads on the he-500 ?? The ring is too large (or pad too small) ... and can't stretch the pads enough to put on the cups no ?

Jun 13, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #615 of 756
Hello guys,

How did you manage to moun the zmf oval cowhide pads on the he-500 ?? The ring is too large (or pad too small) ... and can't stretch the pads enough to put on the cups no ?
Hmmm...why did you get the oval pads? ZMF Ori pads are round and a perfect fit for the Hifiman mounting rings...not stretching needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back