MHDT Havana DAC
Feb 13, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #2,656 of 2,680
I went ahead and created a general thread for MHDT Labs DACs since the OP of this thread has long since abandoned Head-Fi. Hopefully this isn't stepping on anyone's toes!

I've included current drivers and manuals that I uploaded to Basshead.Club as well.

I'd like to compile information, impressions, tube recommendations, and anything else that can be useful as a resource to MHDT owners and prospective buyers over there.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/798259/mhdt-labs-r-2r-nos-tube-dacs

Mar 30, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #2,657 of 2,680
Hey guys, i recently joined the club by buying Atlantis. Thanks to @Soundsgoodtome :) This Topic is for havana originally but i guess it became main topic for Mhdt Lab as time passed.

Anyway, I discover a problem with my new dac, it's usb keeps disconnecting, and sometimes when i power up only tube powers up. I told Jiun about problems. And he offered free board asap. Their customer service is really first grade. I just wanted to tell this to all potential buyers.

Till obtaining Atlantis, i only used entry level (Hrt Ms II+ and Smsl M8) so its the best sound ive ever heard. I have been writing reviews in turkish but i guess i'll start to write reviews in here to, with my bad english ofc. :)

Anyway thanks for this topic. It was really helpful for me.

Mar 30, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #2,658 of 2,680
  Hey guys, i recently joined the club by buying Atlantis. Thanks to @Soundsgoodtome :) This Topic is for havana originally but i guess it became main topic for Mhdt Lab as time passed.

Anyway, I discover a problem with my new dac, it's usb keeps disconnecting, and sometimes when i power up only tube powers up. I told Jiun about problems. And he offered free board asap. Their customer service is really first grade. I just wanted to tell this to all potential buyers.

Till obtaining Atlantis, i only used entry level (Hrt Ms II+ and Smsl M8) so its the best sound ive ever heard. I have been writing reviews in turkish but i guess i'll start to write reviews in here to, with my bad english ofc. :)

I have two Atlantis dacs. Love the heck out of them!

This is the new all-purpose thread for MHDT stuff:

As for the USB, it could be your computer's USB ports. I can't maintain connection to unpowered USB DAC-UP ports, for example. Using an UpTone Regen between them lets it stay connected forever without issue, as does changing it to a powered USB port.

Sometimes turning the DAC on doesn't get a connection for me either, just a blue light and the tube. Usually turning it off for a few seconds and back on, it'll lock in fine (this only happens if I don't have a Regen, like the one I have at work).

Mar 30, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #2,659 of 2,680

I have two Atlantis dacs. Love the heck out of them!

This is the new all-purpose thread for MHDT stuff:

As for the USB, it could be your computer's USB ports. I can't maintain connection to unpowered USB DAC-UP ports, for example. Using an UpTone Regen between them lets it stay connected forever without issue, as does changing it to a powered USB port.

Sometimes turning the DAC on doesn't get a connection for me either, just a blue light and the tube. Usually turning it off for a few seconds and back on, it'll lock in fine (this only happens if I don't have a Regen, like the one I have at work).

Well luckbad, when i mentioned my problems to Jiun, he immediately offered board replacement on the house. I'll try it first. I also get a cheap (musiland us 02) ddc too. My computer is multitasking, most probably best solution is getting a ddc anyway. :) btw while deciding buying it, i read lots of your posts. You helped me unintentionally a lot too. :) Also I subscribed new topic too.

Mar 31, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #2,660 of 2,680
Sechtdamon

When having this problem, were you turning the Atlantis on before your computer?

I've not had this problem if I let my PC boot first.

Where as if I turned the Atlantis on before my pc, not always but occasionally, it would cycle the blue LEDs then settle on USB, but produce no sound until it was turned off and on again.

Mar 31, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #2,661 of 2,680
@Sechtdamon

When having this problem, were you turning the Atlantis on before your computer?

I've not had this problem if I let my PC boot first.

Where as if I turned the Atlantis on before my pc, not always but occasionally, it would cycle the blue LEDs then settle on USB, but produce no sound until it was turned off and on again.

My problem is about microcontroller chip as Jiun diagnosed. Btw I always power up computer first. sometimes when I power up no lights blink and only tube gets powered.

Apr 1, 2016 at 6:57 AM Post #2,663 of 2,680
Apr 1, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #2,664 of 2,680
yes, quite a price jump. But the sheer production doesn't come cheap either since it's a true discrete resistor ladder design. Those Vishay Foil Resistors are at least $15 a piece. 200 resistors per stereo channel, you can do the math.
Totaldac prices are here

Delta-Sigma dacs just doesn't do it for me anymore. R2R is the only way to go IMO.

Apr 1, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #2,665 of 2,680
  yes, quite a price jump. But the sheer production doesn't come cheap either since it's a true discrete resistor ladder design. Those Vishay Foil Resistors are at least $15 a piece. 200 resistors per stereo channel, you can do the math.
Totaldac prices are here

Delta-Sigma dacs just doesn't do it for me anymore. R2R is the only way to go IMO.

So, I did the math ... and if that's what they're paying just for the resistors then there is no way they're making any money on that product.  The 400 resistors alone would be $6000 unless they're buying in bulk (and the price break for buying, say, 500 at a time, of the same value no less, only drops the price about 20%).

Typically you need to price a product like that at 3-5x it's parts cost to make a reliable profit.  You can skinny that down some in a direct-sales model (no distributor/dealer margins).  In this case the d1 Dual has more than half it's selling price taken up just with the parts cost of the resistors.  Note that I'm not, by any means, saying they're not using those parts, in those numbers, just that I don't see how that's sustainable from a business perspective.

With you on the R2R thing though ... even my best D/S based unit, which uses custom filtering via FPGAs, leaves me a bit cold in comparison now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back