Meze 99 Neo Discussion + Impressions Thread
Jun 24, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #271 of 582
I think it's a bit of an acquired taste. I'm still considering selling them at a loss since I'm also interested in purchasing Beyerdynamic DT 1990. As for the 99C, I actually saw a post about the 99 NEO and that's what sparked my interest in them. I was a bit disappointed when I found out that they were not yet available for purchase. I really liked the look of the 99 NEO from all of the posts by users here but ultimately gave in and bought the Classics. Maybe one day the Neo will join my collection.
You might not have to take a loss. If you got the Purple Hearts through Massdrop there may be people on the forums there who missed out on a drop or who don't want to wait so long for shipment who would be happy to buy yours for what you paid...if they are in perfect condition. They are so beautiful... that wood. There is a weakness to be aware of...that little pivot hinge has broken or come loose for some who have headphones of that build style. My husband has had to repair his twice. Just hope it holds this time. I think it was people who had the 900 who first reported it. So treat that part gently!

Meanwhile enjoy your Classics! What color did you get?

Jun 24, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #272 of 582
QUOTE="mbwilson111, post: 13563970, member: 460914"]You might not have to take a loss. If you got the Purple Hearts through Massdrop there may be people on the forums there who missed out on a drop or who don't want to wait so long for shipment who would be happy to buy yours for what you paid...if they are in perfect condition. They are so beautiful... that wood. There is a weakness to be aware of...that little pivot hinge has broken or come loose for some who have headphones of that build style. My husband has had to repair his twice. Just hope it holds this time. I think it was people who had the 900 who first reported it. So treat that part gently!

Meanwhile enjoy your Classics! What color did you get?[/QUOTE]
I did read about the hinges breaking. it seems these headphones are very delicate. You also have to be careful not to ding the cups with that ridiculous 1/4 inch plug. They are in perfect condition so hopefully you are right if I decide to sell them. I just don't to 'force' myself to like them. The Classics, I put on while doing laundry and by the time I was ready to head home I was in love with them. I have the Walnut Silver color. Here's a picture with them among some of my other headphones. Yes... I have a problem.
IMG_7802.JPG

Jun 24, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #273 of 582
Too many good choices but I think the only ones I would be willing to part with are my NAD HP50s and some of my super inexpensive ones.

Why the heck would you ever part with your HP50s? My M4U 1 are the only headphone I regularly reach for after listening to the 99 Classics, which likewise are the cans I reach for when listening to my HD 600 and Q701s.

Jun 24, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #274 of 582
QUOTE="mbwilson111, post: 13563970, member: 460914"]You might not have to take a loss. If you got the Purple Hearts through Massdrop there may be people on the forums there who missed out on a drop or who don't want to wait so long for shipment who would be happy to buy yours for what you paid...if they are in perfect condition. They are so beautiful... that wood. There is a weakness to be aware of...that little pivot hinge has broken or come loose for some who have headphones of that build style. My husband has had to repair his twice. Just hope it holds this time. I think it was people who had the 900 who first reported it. So treat that part gently!

Meanwhile enjoy your Classics! What color did you get?
I did read about the hinges breaking. it seems these headphones are very delicate. You also have to be careful not to ding the cups with that ridiculous 1/4 inch plug. They are in perfect condition so hopefully you are right if I decide to sell them. I just don't to 'force' myself to like them. The Classics, I put on while doing laundry and by the time I was ready to head home I was in love with them. I have the Walnut Silver color. Here's a picture with them among some of my other headphones. Yes... I have a problem.
[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah I forgot about that cable. I have the same one on my Fostex TH500rp (open planar). It is a monster. Nice picture! You have some good headphones there. You should fill out your profile info. My list is in my profile. If I had the Classics I would pick the Walnut Silver. I am really happy though to have the Neo. Love the matt black. Some have said that the sound is a little bit better on the Classic but if it is I don't care. I am happy with my Neos and I do have a bunch of other good choices.

If you are new to head fi, you may find that it will cause your *problem" to worsen. This place is full of temptation and enablers. My problem is that one of those enablers lives in my housel... LOL!

Jun 24, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #275 of 582

Oh yeah I forgot about that cable. I have the same one on my Fostex TH500rp (open planar). It is a monster. Nice picture! You have some good headphones there. You should fill out your profile info. My list is in my profile. If I had the Classics I would pick the Walnut Silver. I am really happy though to have the Neo. Love the matt black. Some have said that the sound is a little bit better on the Classic but if it is I don't care. I am happy with my Neos and I do have a bunch of other good choices.

If you are new to head fi, you may find that it will cause your *problem" to worsen. This place is full of temptation and enablers. My problem is that one of those enablers lives in my housel... LOL![/QUOTE]

Wow! You have quite an impressive collection! I see that your favorite portable headphone is the H6. That's another I highly considered before buying the Meze. How do they compare? I will eventually get to filling out all of my profile info. I'm still getting familiar with the site.

Jun 24, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #276 of 582
Why the heck would you ever part with your HP50s? My M4U 1 are the only headphone I regularly reach for after listening to the 99 Classics, which likewise are the cans I reach for when listening to my HD 600 and Q701s.

I have had the HP50s for a year now and have fought with them the whole time. First the clamp force drove me crazy... gave me a headache and the pads hurt my ears. I could hear my pulse in them. So I bent them a lot but it was too much and I lost bass. Bent them back and the pads bothered me even more so I tried some BrainWavz velour pads that were lying around the house and destroyed the sound. Put the stock pads back on and started to notice that the plastic cups were creaking a lot.

Found a thread where a guy had fixed that by opening them up and put electrical tape in certain places. He had pictures and written instructions so my husband did that for me and it worked. I am too scared to open up headphones. I can repair larger things but repairing small things scares me. I posted the info into the main HP50 thread.

Meanwhile... the pads... found out that msr7 pads would fit and are slightly larger than the NAD pads. Got some from Amazon and put those on. Much more comfortable but would be even nicer if larger pads would work. Larger pads like the Brainwavz look pretty ugly on the NADs though. But after all that the sound was still messed up because of the lack of clamp so I actually have been working on that since I wrote that earlier post.

I read in another forum to stretch the top of the band out flatter so that the pads will angle toward the jaw more to make a seal at the bottom I have been doing a little at a time and also bendiing them in near the cups. Have to be very careful because there are two little plastic clips inside that can break and destroy the wire assembly. I saw pictures in the NAD thread...happened to a guy in there.

I think I may have a pretty good fit now. The bass is back but not MEZE bass! If I press the cups against my ears the bass increases but nothing else increases so I can't just turn up the volume. I may have to try the stock pads again or maybe the pads from my Fostex th50rp. I bought some Brainwavz hybrid pads to try on those anyway.

Too bad the design of the NAD has been such a problem because the sound is actually pretty great. i have heard the M4U ,,,they are good. Similar but different. Better design.

This was a longer story than you expected I bet... but you did ask!

Jun 24, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #277 of 582
Wow! You have quite an impressive collection! I see that your favorite portable headphone is the H6. That's another I highly considered before buying the Meze. How do they compare? I will eventually get to filling out all of my profile info. I'm still getting familiar with the site.
Wow the quoting went all crazy in those last couple of posts. The site might be doing something...they are working on a lot of stuff.

Actually I said : AKG Y50 (black) on ear (favorite for portable use)....they are true portables and sound is appropriate for being out and about.
The Beoplay H6s were my favorite closed headphones at one point for home listening actually. But now... the Mezes...I have a feeling they have taken that spot.
I would not use my H6s for portable use personally because mine are the natural color pads (lambskin I think) and someone posted pictures of what those look like if they are all sweat stained... yuk! Apparently it is not easy to get replacement anything from Beoplay. That has been discussed in the thread. Maybe the black pads. So I am taking care of mine... they are too pretty and they do sound great straight out of my Opus #1. So... portable around the house. I would wear the Neos outside.

Jun 24, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #278 of 582
Too bad the design of the NAD has been such a problem because the sound is actually pretty great. i have heard the M4U ,,,they are good. Similar but different. Better design.

This was a longer story than you expected I bet... but you did ask!

Hey, no prob! Glad you responded in such detail. I can see how comfort can be a huge issue, and that is why I decided to go with the M4U 1 over the HP50. That's one of the reasons I love the 99 Classics so much; Supreme comfort, especially with the larger pads (which I have back on because I love how they shape the soundstage over the stock regardless of a slight distortion of the bass... sometimes. And I can wear them with my glasses which is a big bonus for any headphone, not just the Mezes).

On a side note, I miss the 99 Neo. I have my AKG K240 Monitors hanging where I had the Neos and when it gets dark it looks like the 99s are still hanging there and I reach for them, only to be disappointed. 7 days was too much of a tease!!

Jun 25, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #279 of 582
Hey, no prob! Glad you responded in such detail. I can see how comfort can be a huge issue, and that is why I decided to go with the M4U 1 over the HP50. That's one of the reasons I love the 99 Classics so much; Supreme comfort, especially with the larger pads (which I have back on because I love how they shape the soundstage over the stock regardless of a slight distortion of the bass... sometimes. And I can wear them with my glasses which is a big bonus for any headphone, not just the Mezes).

On a side note, I miss the 99 Neo. I have my AKG K240 Monitors hanging where I had the Neos and when it gets dark it looks like the 99s are still hanging there and I reach for them, only to be disappointed. 7 days was too much of a tease!!

Why did you only keep them for 7 days? You do have the Classics...is there a reason that sometimes you would rather reach for the Neo?

Comfort is one of the reasons that I bought Mezes. If I am uncomfortable I cannot enjoy my music no matter how great the sound. Except for my problem with the NADs I have managed to put together a nice little selection headphones that are quite comfortable...some more than others. In that respect I would put the Mezes in my top three along with the Amiron and the Nighthawk. The Mezes are easier than either of those to pop on and off.

Meanwhile...all that work that I did last night on shaping the NAD headband has paid off. I can now wear them without too much discomfort and they sound good again. I might not use them as much as some of my others but they will have their place... especially nice for acoustic guitars and vocals. Classical as well. More laid back than the Mezes. The Mezes energize me! There have been some songs posted in the Classics thread in the past couple of days that show off the sound. I shared a few as did others.

I have one problem regarding headphones and glasses. When wearing headphones I cannot take off my glasses without removing the headphones. So if my eye itches I have to pause the music and remove the headphones. Annoying.

Jun 25, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #280 of 582
I had already tested the Meze Neo straight out of my Opus #1 dap with great results. Tonight I was updating Rockbox on my trusty Xduoo x3 dap. When I finished I decided to plug in the Neos. Very happy with this pairing. This is the dap I take if I go out walking as it is smaller (and less expensive) so its nice to know I could go out for a walk with the Neos. Playing Blackmore's Night - Dancer and the Moon right now. Beautiful!

These really are easy to drive. When using them with my desktop setup I had the volume on my little amp set lower than with any of my other headphones. Tomorrow I have a tube amp coming. Something a little more serious than the Nobsound NS-1E hybrid that I have played around with. I don't know if it would be a good or bad idea to try the Neos with it. I was planning more on using it with my harder to drive headphones. It won't be at my computer desk. It will be in the living room near my comfy spot where I either listen directly from the Opus or the Opus paired with my Fiio E12A.

Jun 25, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #281 of 582
Why did you only keep them for 7 days? You do have the Classics...is there a reason that sometimes you would rather reach for the Neo?

Comfort is one of the reasons that I bought Mezes. If I am uncomfortable I cannot enjoy my music no matter how great the sound. Except for my problem with the NADs I have managed to put together a nice little selection headphones that are quite comfortable...some more than others. In that respect I would put the Mezes in my top three along with the Amiron and the Nighthawk. The Mezes are easier than either of those to pop on and off.

Meanwhile...all that work that I did last night on shaping the NAD headband has paid off. I can now wear them without too much discomfort and they sound good again. I might not use them as much as some of my others but they will have their place... especially nice for acoustic guitars and vocals. Classical as well. More laid back than the Mezes. The Mezes energize me! There have been some songs posted in the Classics thread in the past couple of days that show off the sound. I shared a few as did others.

I have one problem regarding headphones and glasses. When wearing headphones I cannot take off my glasses without removing the headphones. So if my eye itches I have to pause the music and remove the headphones. Annoying.

We were on the Neo tour, and only kept them for a week...and I agree the time went by rather quickly! Glad all are enjoying the Neo, it is a pretty decent headphone.

Jun 26, 2017 at 12:11 AM Post #282 of 582
Wow the quoting went all crazy in those last couple of posts. The site might be doing something...they are working on a lot of stuff.

Actually I said : AKG Y50 (black) on ear (favorite for portable use)....they are true portables and sound is appropriate for being out and about.
The Beoplay H6s were my favorite closed headphones at one point for home listening actually. But now... the Mezes...I have a feeling they have taken that spot.
I would not use my H6s for portable use personally because mine are the natural color pads (lambskin I think) and someone posted pictures of what those look like if they are all sweat stained... yuk! Apparently it is not easy to get replacement anything from Beoplay. That has been discussed in the thread. Maybe the black pads. So I am taking care of mine... they are too pretty and they do sound great straight out of my Opus #1. So... portable around the house. I would wear the Neos outside.

Ah I misread that. So based on your post, I'm going to assume that I made the right choice in choosing the Meze over the H6. It's crazy. When I get my sights on a headphone, it's almost like I become obsessive. For example, the Thinksound is currently dropping on Massdrop and I'm very much considering joining the drop even though I can't really think of what it would add to my collection. I feel the same way about the Neo. I want to buy it when it becomes available but I'm not even sure it would be different enough to warrant buying it simply based on looks. Yet, the thought of buying it enters my mind every time I see a post about or a picture.

Jun 26, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #283 of 582
Got the Meze 99 Neos for the tour on friday (3 days ago).
Now I'm an IEM kind of guy, yeah I have full size headphones but I just don't use them all that much. They're also pretty low to mid-fi and sound sort of dated.
First impression of the Neos. Wow these things are BIG, and well rather warm to wear, glasses and full size doesn't work too well either.
but, oh my that bass! I'm not a bass head but it's glorious, thick but not bloated, full with nice impact... I guess I've been missing this with my IEMs and just didn't notice it.
Paired with my Opus#1 the sound is outstanding (with gain set to Medium). Also plays nicely with my Xduoo X3 (like MbWilson111 I use the X3 for walking, same reasons).
I think I'm going to have to get a pair of these for 'serious' listening.
I'll post a more detailed review once I've lived with them for more than 2 1/2 days.

Jun 26, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #284 of 582

7 days was all I was allowed to keep the 99 Neo before sending them off to the next reviewer, otherwise I'd be rocking out to them! As for wanting to reach for the 99 Neo, they offer a different sound signature that sometimes I am in the mood for, like extra bass.

Jun 29, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #285 of 582
Just got the 99 Neo thanks to Meze Team Romania.
A wonderful, simple and affordable headphone exactly as the Classics.
Right out the box they sound good to my ears but i need to burn them first for at least 100 hours for sound ( bass ) to settle down. I will write a review after finishing up the burning process.
They sound really good out from the Tera Player as are very easy to drive and.Hugo 2 is a great match also.
Overall i like the comfort and presentation, especially at this price,makes them a real value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back