Meze 99 Neo Discussion + Impressions Thread
Jun 8, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #256 of 582
Just got these in today for the tour. Sound instantly reminded me of the Meze 99 Classics but the new pads actually make them comfortable. My main complaint about the Classics have been fixed with the new pads, will need to hear the Classics with the new pads to see how they compare sound wise. I do recall some midrange/vocal and treble differences on the Classics but not sure how much is the wooden housing or the smaller pads. I do like how they sound and just like the Classics they have a nice pleasant non-fatiguing sound. Will be largely comparing these to my Sony MDR-1A which have largely been unused due to pad issues(doesn't really affect sound but they are falling apart).

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #257 of 582
Hey! Great review.

I gotta ask though, do you prefer the Audeze Sines or the 99 neo/classics?

I bought the Sines new a week ago and they sounded amazing. Extremely detailed and well defined separation - but the only thing that turned be off was the comfort. They really are a pain to wear for anything over 30 minutes.

The 99s are warmer, not as clear or detailed but imaging is still good with a wider soundstage. And the bass... is immense compared to the Sine

I'm having a real difficult time deciding which to keep and which to return.

The 99's in a heartbeat. I had comfort concerns straight off the bat with the Sines, which simply equals compromised enjoyment. I didn't "love" the sound either - it just sounded anaemic, tinny, weird. I didn't mind it for electronic music, but it couldn't believably reproduce voice for me - it sounded a bit telephonic at the end of the day. Which is a shame, because I wanted to love them so much. That build...

Jun 8, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #258 of 582
Hey! Great review.

I gotta ask though, do you prefer the Audeze Sines or the 99 neo/classics?

I bought the Sines new a week ago and they sounded amazing. Extremely detailed and well defined separation - but the only thing that turned be off was the comfort. They really are a pain to wear for anything over 30 minutes.

The 99s are warmer, not as clear or detailed but imaging is still good with a wider soundstage. And the bass... is immense compared to the Sine

I'm having a real difficult time deciding which to keep and which to return.
Really two different signatures. I loved the Sine over the PM-3 which is it's direct competition at the time of release. The 99 Classics are a more fun sound but it is audiophile fun. Great bass, a touch loose, but the details are alll there. Today my choice would be the 99 Classics. For more Sine comfort, extend the arms down further it will help.

Jun 12, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #259 of 582
My Neos are being delivered tomorrow. After reading all the comments in this thread I was unable to resist ordering them. I spent a few hours with my husbands Classics over the weekend before making my decision. I don't NEED more headphones...do any of us? This site is dangerous! I will definitely stop now! I already do have some nice headphones. I have been relaxing this evening with my Amirons. Anyway, looking forward to hearing these. I already know they will be very comfortable.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #260 of 582
I don't NEED more headphones...do any of us? This site is dangerous!

With such fantastic cans such as the HD 600 and 99 Classics, I don't NEED any more headphones either... but it's not going to stop me until I find perfection, which sadly means I will be forever chasing the dragon!

Jun 13, 2017 at 7:46 AM Post #261 of 582
I love DPD live tracking. My driver is 30 minutes away with my Neos. He is on delivery number 37. I am number 46. They show a map. I could walk to where he is now in about 10 minutes! LOL

Jun 13, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #262 of 582
Here's what's in the box, guys.

Final samples of the Meze Audio balanced cables for the Meze 99 series will soon be available.

Woah, the new cables are a true beauty!!

I love DPD live tracking. My driver is 30 minutes away with my Neos. He is on delivery number 37. I am number 46. They show a map. I could walk to where he is now in about 10 minutes! LOL

You gotta be burning with expectation when something as awesome as 99Neo are so close to you.

Jun 13, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #263 of 582
With such fantastic cans such as the HD 600 and 99 Classics, I don't NEED any more headphones either... but it's not going to stop me until I find perfection, which sadly means I will be forever chasing the dragon!

Good luck with that! With the addition of these Mezes, I am more than satisfied with my little collection.

Jun 13, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #264 of 582

Knowing most of the items you have there, you're probably set and have at least something from every signature! Please remember to take time and enjoy what you already have, especially 99 Classics, before going to the next.

Good luck with that! With the addition of these Mezes, I am more than satisfied with my little collection.

Please do share more of your thoughts about the signature after you spend more time with them!

Jun 13, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #265 of 582
You gotta be burning with expectation when something as awesome as 99Neo are so close to you.

I was very excited about getting these and I am certainly not disappointed. They look beautiful and are very comfortable...as comfortable as my Nighthawks but actually easier to put on and take off my head. Great design! Impressed with the sound as well.

Jun 14, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #266 of 582
Knowing most of the items you have there, you're probably set and have at least something from every signature! Please remember to take time and enjoy what you already have, especially 99 Classics, before going to the next.

The 99 Classics account for the majority of my listening at home. I always start off with the HD 600 or Q701 but soon find myself placing them back on their hooks and grabbing the 99 Classics; it never fails! The only headphone I have used more than the 99's are the Momentums, and I can't beat the 2 1/2 hours per day x 5 x 3-4 years for my daily commute. Fun fact, they look as new as the day I got them.

Jun 24, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #267 of 582
I have had my Neos for 11 days now and am really enjoying them. Usually I go for a more relaxed signature ... Sennheiser HD598, Nighthawk, Amiron Home... but I am really enjoying the energy of these. I don't know how to compare headphones so I will not try. I do think these might become my favorite closed headphones, although I will continue to also enjoy my Beoplays, my Denon D600s, my ZMF Vibros, the BossHiFi... Too many good choices but I think the only ones I would be willing to part with are my NAD HP50s and some of my super inexpensive ones. I do enjoy exploring different sound signatures.

The Mezes are very comfortable...almost as comfy as my Nighthawks or my Amirons or the Denons. The Neos are a bit tighter on my head than those. Some people prefer a bit of clamp but I avoid it if possible. My husband has a couple of pairs that I refuse to put on my head at all because of the clamp.

Jun 24, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #268 of 582
Hi All,

Somewhat new to these forums but have really enjoyed browsing through many posts. Anyway, I recently purchased the 99 Classics because I had a long flight(LA to Singapore) and wanted some new cans to get me through the flight. I was really hoping to check out the Neo. However, I must say I really really liked the 99 Classics. A little over a week ago I received my Foster TH-X00 PH and I've actually been reaching for the 99s more.

Jun 24, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #269 of 582
Hi All,

Somewhat new to these forums but have really enjoyed browsing through many posts. Anyway, I recently purchased the 99 Classics because I had a long flight(LA to Singapore) and wanted some new cans to get me through the flight. I was really hoping to check out the Neo. However, I must say I really really liked the 99 Classics. A little over a week ago I received my Foster TH-X00 PH and I've actually been reaching for the 99s more.

Thank you for sharing this with us!

I was actually quite interested in TX-00 before, but after reading this from many users, I will stay with 99Cand continue enjoying them, like I did so far.

Jun 24, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #270 of 582
Thank you for sharing this with us!

I was actually quite interested in TX-00 before, but after reading this from many users, I will stay with 99Cand continue enjoying them, like I did so far.

I think it's a bit of an acquired taste. I'm still considering selling them at a loss since I'm also interested in purchasing Beyerdynamic DT 1990. As for the 99C, I actually saw a post about the 99 NEO and that's what sparked my interest in them. I was a bit disappointed when I found out that they were not yet available for purchase. I really liked the look of the 99 NEO from all of the posts by users here but ultimately gave in and bought the Classics. Maybe one day the Neo will join my collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back