Marantz HD-DAC1
Apr 3, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #736 of 1,283
I actually upgraded to the HD-DAC1. My main headphone is the Focal Elear and I use them with the Chord Mojo and the Marantz HD-DAC1. I got the Mojo first, but felt that it was almost too dynamic with the Elears. I got listening fatigue as if the Mojo cannot really control the Elear fully. I prefer the HD-DAC1 with these headphones.

Is love to hear your extended thoughts on this setup as it's exactly the setup I'm considering right now (Elear and HD-DAC1).

Apr 3, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #737 of 1,283
I'm using the HD-DAC1 with digital coax input from an Oppo 103 to play CDs and 24/96 files. Over speakers, the HD-DAC1 gives me more "air" around the music, better imaging, wider soundstage, than I was getting from the Oppo, whether via its analog outputs or through the DACs in my Denon AVR. All three of my current headphones sound great (AKG K702, HD-600s, Hifman HE-400i).

Apr 4, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #738 of 1,283

Just get Singxer F1 or SU-1, and they will more than sufficiently meets what you are looking for :)

+1, Singxer F1 works great with HD-DAC1 and solves all issues with clicking relay - there is simply none.
I only add ifi iDefender between laptop and F1. It sonds better this way than with nano iUSB3.0.

Apr 5, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #739 of 1,283
I have owned the HD-DAC1 for more than 6 months already. I owned big hi-fi oriented DACs before (Rega DAC-R, W4S DAC2, Musical Fidelity M1, various supposed-to-be-giant-killer Chinese DACs from Aune, AudioGD SMSL, Topping) I find the Marantz to be as excellent if not better as the Rega-R and W4S DAC2 in terms of resolution and overall enjoyment when played in the big rig (Dynaudio X34, NAD 375). Headphone output sounds great with the Elear and Shure 1540. I think the sound signature of the HD-DAC is 'lush with gobs of detail'.

But what stands out the most is its synergy with the HD800S. PRAT is way up, but it does not sound fatiguing. My tastes tends towards neutral with some brightness though so please take note. I am a drummer and I have accepted the fact that music should be able to sound bright like in real life. Even those dark crashes still have bright edges to them. I laugh when I see some wuss audiophiles dismisses a gear for having some edge of brightness. Its like - why even bother in this hobby right? Well thats just me. Anyway the HD800S sounds tremendously musical with the HD-DAC1 that i just forget to analyze and just listen. This setup is also where I was almost seen by my girl crying to a guitar solo in a Steven Wilson song.

Maybe I can get slightly better results with a CMA800i but when its already this good, sometimes i'd ask myself 'why bother?'. Or maybe i'm just getting lazy. Give it a listen. I wish Zeos could give it a no-******** review on his youtube channel.

Apr 6, 2017 at 2:45 AM Post #740 of 1,283

+1, Singxer F1 works great with HD-DAC1 and solves all issues with clicking relay - there is simply none.
I only add ifi iDefender between laptop and F1. It sonds better this way than with nano iUSB3.0.

Just placed an order on a Singxer F-1, should receive it in 2-3 weeks. We'll see how much it improves the HD-DAC1 which I already love :). And though the clicking doesn't bother me that much, if it gets rid of it that's a big plus.

Apr 6, 2017 at 7:17 AM Post #741 of 1,283
Just placed an order on a Singxer F-1, should receive it in 2-3 weeks. We'll see how much it improves the HD-DAC1 which I already love :). And though the clicking doesn't bother me that much, if it gets rid of it that's a big plus.
Please share your experience with F1 when you receive it. Allow for 150 hours burn-in.

Apr 8, 2017 at 6:40 AM Post #742 of 1,283
Depending on where I'll place the Singxer when I get it, I'll need either a 1,5m usb cable and a 0,75m coaxial cable or vice versa. With these short cable lengths does it matter which cable is the longer one?

Apr 8, 2017 at 7:10 AM Post #743 of 1,283
Depending on where I'll place the Singxer when I get it, I'll need either a 1,5m usb cable and a 0,75m coaxial cable or vice versa. With these short cable lengths does it matter which cable is the longer one?
as short as possible USB and longer coaxial is the better choice

Apr 13, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #744 of 1,283
Is love to hear your extended thoughts on this setup as it's exactly the setup I'm considering right now (Elear and HD-DAC1).

Sorry for my late reply. I really enjoy this setup, the HD-DAC1 together with the Elear. The Elear are very dynamic and detailed and I find that the Marantz can control them very well. The combo is smooth, but still detailed if you know what I mean.The bass is very nice as well. The sound has a bit of an analogue feeling to it that I like. If I compare with the Chord Mojo, the sound is ever so slightly more detailed with the Mojo, but feels slightly more artifical (digital). Hence, I prefer the DAC1.

Given your name, I presume you are from Sweden. If you pass by Uppsala, the shop HiFi Experience has both the Elear and the DAC1 to demo (that's where I got mine).

Apr 13, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #745 of 1,283

Sorry for my late reply. I really enjoy this setup, the HD-DAC1 together with the Elear. The Elear are very dynamic and detailed and I find that the Marantz can control them very well. The combo is smooth, but still detailed if you know what I mean.The bass is very nice as well. The sound has a bit of an analogue feeling to it that I like. If I compare with the Chord Mojo, the sound is ever so slightly more detailed with the Mojo, but feels slightly more artifical (digital). Hence, I prefer the DAC1.

Given your name, I presume you are from Sweden. If you pass by Uppsala, the shop HiFi Experience has both the Elear and the DAC1 to demo (that's where I got mine).

I am, and thanks! I'm definitely going to try and check this combo out.

Apr 17, 2017 at 7:13 AM Post #746 of 1,283

They have the Elear and HD-DAC1 combo set up at Hembiobutiken in Sundbyberg as well. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back