Marantz HD-DAC1
Mar 5, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #706 of 1,279
Argh, this is so frustrating! The Marantz would otherwise be a perfect device for my needs, but I'm afraid the clicking could drive me insane
mad.gif

Mar 5, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #708 of 1,279
  Argh, this is so frustrating! The Marantz would otherwise be a perfect device for my needs, but I'm afraid the clicking could drive me insane
mad.gif

I've had my HD-DAC1 for a few weeks now. Yes there's a click, but it's barely audible, especially when you're wearing the headphones. I wouldn't let that put you off the Marantz.

Mar 5, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #709 of 1,279

So there's no clicking when the audio signal simply starts or stops, like when starting or pausing a YouTube video?

I am using the HD-DAC1 with Mac and Windows.

With SPDIF connection, no clicking sound, even with starting new YouTube video.

With USB, there is clicking sound, even with starting new YouTube video.

I am half suspecting that the click comes in not only during sample rate change but also the start/stop of an audio signal. When using USB connection and when no audio is being played for a while, HD-DAC1 will know and will power off itself. When using SPDIF however, HD-DAC1 will never power itself off even when no audio is played.

Mar 6, 2017 at 6:07 AM Post #710 of 1,279

I've had my HD-DAC1 for a few weeks now. Yes there's a click, but it's barely audible, especially when you're wearing the headphones. I wouldn't let that put you off the Marantz.

Yeah, I'l probably buy the Marantz. Other dac/amps that I've considered are Teac UD-503, Audeze Deckard, Schiit Jotunheim and Oppo HA-1. They all have their pros and cons but the Marantz seems like the best choice and it should be a good match for my HD800.

Edit: Well, I just placed an order on a silver HD-DAC1, should receive it in a few days.

Mar 6, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #711 of 1,279
Yeah, I'l probably buy the Marantz. Other dac/amps that I've considered are Teac UD-503, Audeze Deckard, Schiit Jotunheim and Oppo HA-1. They all have their pros and cons but the Marantz seems like the best choice and it should be a good match for my HD800.

Edit: Well, I just placed an order on a silver HD-DAC1, should receive it in a few days.

Nice. We only get the black version in north am

Mar 6, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #712 of 1,279
Yeah, all things being equal I would have loved a silver one, but on eBay all of the silver ones are north of $1,000. I got a minty fresh black one for $425... for that price difference I'll live with the black.

Mar 6, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #714 of 1,279
Nice. We only get the black version in north am

Both colors are available here and I would've slightly preferred the black one since I'll be using it with my computer and all my computer stuff is black but the store I ordered it from only had the silver one currently in stock. But it looks very stylish in silver too so I went with that.

Mar 8, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #715 of 1,279
Got the Marantz today. First impressions are very positive. The unit looks stylish and feels very solid. Haven't really had much time to test it yet, but atleast the headphone output seems excellent, currently listening to it with my HD598. Going to properly test it later with my HD650 and HD800. Should also receive my Fidelio X2 in a few days so I'll have lots of testing to do this weekend :)

Edit: Also, the clicking luckily doesn't seem to bother me, it's soft and faint. I'm sure I can completely ignore it once I get used to it.

Mar 8, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #716 of 1,279
  Got the Marantz today. First impressions are very positive. The unit looks stylish and feels very solid. Haven't really had much time to test it yet, but atleast the headphone output seems excellent, currently listening to it with my HD598. Going to properly test it later with my HD650 and HD800. Should also receive my Fidelio X2 in a few days so I'll have lots of testing to do this weekend :)

Edit: Also, the clicking luckily doesn't seem to bother me, it's soft and faint. I'm sure I can completely ignore it once I get used to it.

Welcome to the club! I was downsizing my entire headphone rig and I was glad to have tried out this unit. It is well worth its price!

I do find that its SPDIF input sounds considerably better than USB.

Mar 9, 2017 at 1:44 AM Post #718 of 1,279

I do find that its SPDIF input sounds considerably better than USB.

Hmm, interesting. I have it connected with both USB and optical though I've only used it with USB so far, gonna have to test the optical input too. I've also currently using a cheap generic USB cable but I'll probably replace it with something like Audioquest Forest soon.

Mar 9, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #719 of 1,279
I'm using it with a coaxial input from my Oppo 103. Very happy with the sound quality. Haven't tried optical, haven't tried using the rear USB for digital files. The front USB does fine with my iPhone files.

Mar 9, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #720 of 1,279
Interesting info regarding USB vs SPDIF. Are you connecting a computer via optical spdif?

Yes both are connected to a computer as that is my only source.

The motherboard of my desktop PC has optical spdif output, so does my macbook pro.

In terms of SQ, it goes:

Macbook Pro SPDIF >> Desktop Mobo SPDIF > Macbook USB > Desktop Mobo USB

I am using Lifatec Glass Toslink cable and Belkin Gold USB cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back