Marantz HD-DAC1
Mar 9, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #721 of 1,283
Yes both are connected to a computer as that is my only source.

The motherboard of my desktop PC has optical spdif output, so does my macbook pro.

In terms of SQ, it goes:

Macbook Pro SPDIF >> Desktop Mobo SPDIF > Macbook USB > Desktop Mobo USB

I am using Lifatec Glass Toslink cable and Belkin Gold USB cable.

Thanks that's interesting. I'll try it out with my setup. Using a MacBook Pro here as well but was just using the USB.
It's good the previous gen MacBook Pro retina still has the optical out.

Mar 10, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #722 of 1,283
Has anyone tried the new version of Audirvana 3.0.1 with the HD DAC1 yet?
I can't get it to work. It keeps hanging and sometimes gives an error of unable to use integer mode. No music ever plays no matter of what sample rate I try.

It works fine with my Audioquest DragonFly Red. Bot dacs are plugged in via USB directly to a MacBook Pro 2015.
I had no problem with Audirvana 2.6 - both DACs worked fine.
The new version however just hangs with Marantz.

I could barely roll back to version 2.6.6. It took wiping the app, the preferences file and the database.

Mar 11, 2017 at 1:56 AM Post #723 of 1,283
Has anyone tried the new version of Audirvana 3.0.1 with the HD DAC1 yet?
I can't get it to work. It keeps hanging and sometimes gives an error of unable to use integer mode. No music ever plays no matter of what sample rate I try.

It works fine with my Audioquest DragonFly Red. Bot dacs are plugged in via USB directly to a MacBook Pro 2015.
I had no problem with Audirvana 2.6 - both DACs worked fine.
The new version however just hangs with Marantz.

I could barely roll back to version 2.6.6. It took wiping the app, the preferences file and the database.

https://roonlabs.com 
end the pain. 

Mar 11, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #724 of 1,283
  https://roonlabs.com 
end the pain. 

Roon looks great, but it's an overkill they way it's built imho if you're running on a single laptop with all your music on it.
For a dedicated computer that's connected to a stereo permanently that's a different story, but for head-fi duty a standalone app is simpler and cleaner.

BTW found the answer for A+ 3 and Marantz
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/audirvana-plus-3-official-thread-31804/index8.html#post644078

Mar 11, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #725 of 1,283

Roon looks great, but it's an overkill they way it's built imho if you're running on a single laptop with all your music on it.
For a dedicated computer that's connected to a stereo permanently that's a different story, but for head-fi duty a standalone app is simpler and cleaner.

BTW found the answer for A+ 3 and Marantz
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/audirvana-plus-3-official-thread-31804/index8.html#post644078

I have a dedicated Mac Mini hooked up to the main system with Roon running on it (iPhone/iPad with the Roon app as remotes). Then I have a Roon client on a Macbook Pro hooked up to the headphone rig. For me it's awesome :)

Mar 11, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #726 of 1,283
I have a dedicated Mac Mini hooked up to the main system with Roon running on it (iPhone/iPad with the Roon app as remotes). Then I have a Roon client on a Macbook Pro hooked up to the headphone rig. For me it's awesome :)

Given sound quality is the same between different players this setup makes great sense at home.
But it doesn't help if you want to access your losesless library when you take your laptop to the office, travel or anywhere else.

Mar 11, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #727 of 1,283
Given sound quality is the same between different players this setup makes great sense at home.
But it doesn't help if you want to access your losesless library when you take your laptop to the office, travel or anywhere else.

Well, you could use it just as a player, but as you said a bit overkill. I think they are working on that latter part, giving you access to your library remotely which would be awesome. 

Mar 11, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #728 of 1,283

Well, you could use it just as a player, but as you said a bit overkill. I think they are working on that latter part, giving you access to your library remotely which would be awesome. 

Wanted to give Roon trial a go.
Downloaded, created an account .... and they need a credit card to start a trial.
I have a genuine dislike for companies that make you sign up with a CC and you have to explicitly cancel your account or else they keep billing you.

Mar 11, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #729 of 1,283
I've now had the Marantz for a few days and I absolutely love it, it sounds wonderful both with headphones and with my Genelec 8020Bs. I'm now however interested in trying to increase the sound quality even further and I'm thinking of ways to clean up the USB signal path. At the moment I'm using a generic cheap USB cable which I'll be replacing in any case but I'd also be interested in trying something like a Schiit Wyrd, UpTone Regen or Intona USB Isolator to see if it would improve the sound quality even more. According to Marantz the HD-DAC1 should already have pretty good protection of the USB input so I'm wondering which, if any, of the devices I listed would be most useful? Anyone tried the HD-DAC1 with the Wyrd, Regen or Intona?

Mar 11, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #730 of 1,283

Wanted to give Roon trial a go.
Downloaded, created an account .... and they need a credit card to start a trial.
I have a genuine dislike for companies that make you sign up with a CC and you have to explicitly cancel your account or else they keep billing you.

Yeah, I fully agree. Had forgotten about that.

Mar 11, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #732 of 1,283
  I've now had the Marantz for a few days and I absolutely love it, it sounds wonderful both with headphones and with my Genelec 8020Bs. I'm now however interested in trying to increase the sound quality even further and I'm thinking of ways to clean up the USB signal path. At the moment I'm using a generic cheap USB cable which I'll be replacing in any case but I'd also be interested in trying something like a Schiit Wyrd, UpTone Regen or Intona USB Isolator to see if it would improve the sound quality even more. According to Marantz the HD-DAC1 should already have pretty good protection of the USB input so I'm wondering which, if any, of the devices I listed would be most useful? Anyone tried the HD-DAC1 with the Wyrd, Regen or Intona?

Just get Singxer F1 or SU-1, and they will more than sufficiently meets what you are looking for :)

Apr 3, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #734 of 1,283
I actually upgraded to the HD-DAC1. My main headphone is the Focal Elear and I use them with the Chord Mojo and the Marantz HD-DAC1. I got the Mojo first, but felt that it was almost too dynamic with the Elears. I got listening fatigue as if the Mojo cannot really control the Elear fully. I prefer the HD-DAC1 with these headphones.

Apr 3, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #735 of 1,283
I currently am using the HD-DAC1 as my main setup. Been looking to upgrade...using HD650s as my main headphone. I have been looking at Eddie Current stuff lately just wondering if I should pull the trigger or not. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back