Jazz Recommendations from this Century
May 8, 2017 at 2:07 AM Post #361 of 411
Meanwhile here's for fans of Police and Sting:

Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 1.58.28 PM.png

May 8, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #362 of 411
Just found out he's 14 years old and born in Denpasar, Bali. Wow.

I checked him out on this youtube link:

Going home to have a good listen to his album tonight.

@EElegances Thanks for bringing up Joey Alexander. I felt like I had been living under a rock, not knowing about this grammy-nominated jazz prodigy who plays with Chris Potter, Wynton Marsalis, Larry Grenadier, etc. He even accompanied Wayne Shorter in a performance in the White House! Geez.

I can only find this album on Tidal but he's truly outstanding. Not to mention great sounds from this very well engineered album.

Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 7.58.33 AM.png

May 9, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #363 of 411
Anyone into vocal jazz too? Here's one worth a listen. An intimate atmospheric recording featuring a luscious voice accompanied by palpable acoustic bass and guitar. Sensory delight.

Screen Shot 2017-05-09 at 9.43.18 AM.png

May 10, 2017 at 1:41 AM Post #364 of 411
Not that much into vocal jazz, but I recommend Cécile McLorin Salvant's "For One to Love."

May 10, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #365 of 411
Not that much into vocal jazz, but I recommend Cécile McLorin Salvant's "For One to Love."

I just listen to the whole album. Wow. Great rec as always. What a voice she has. Such extraordinary control. Boy, my jazz library is growing and getting better by the day.

May 24, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #367 of 411
I'm excited to turn you on to this one. It's live. It's great quality sound. It's awesome 2007 jazz. Available on Bandcamp. This link is to track 4. My favorites are 4-5-6.

Last edited:
May 30, 2017 at 5:06 AM Post #369 of 411
Some of my favourite guys, with a touch of Iggy Pop.

Screen Shot 2017-05-30 at 5.03.38 PM.png

May 30, 2017 at 6:03 AM Post #370 of 411
Modern jazz few suggestions, great thread. Here is some new stuff I downloaded.
Diego barber album one minute later
Alma matters album alma matters
Javo Barrera album far from home
Johanna sillanpaa album make of me

My favourite Hargrove
Roy Hargrove big band album emergence

My genres are jazz, electronic, r&b soul rap, classical big emphasis on jazz.

May 31, 2017 at 12:03 AM Post #371 of 411
Oout on Bandcamp, no YouTube samples yet AFAIK. Starts chaotic, gets on a groove later on. Jason Moran is always interesting.

KKXQIAw.png

Jun 4, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #373 of 411
Modern jazz few suggestions, great thread. Here is some new stuff I downloaded.
Diego barber album one minute later
Alma matters album alma matters
Javo Barrera album far from home
Johanna sillanpaa album make of me

My favourite Hargrove
Roy Hargrove big band album emergence

My genres are jazz, electronic, r&b soul rap, classical big emphasis on jazz.

I just checked out your first four recommendations. Not the mainstream names but very nice. You got them from an independent source?

Jun 5, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #374 of 411
If You Are Fan of Jazz Fusion Geoff Alpert’s New Album Open Your Heart Will Be Your New Obsession.
In Geoff Alpert’s new album Open Your Heart, he takes his love for the trombone and his love for smooth jazz and created this amazing jazz fusion sound. The album is accessible to many and will appeal to those who love smooth jazz as well as those who love funk, pop and many other styles. The album features the solo trombone, which is also a refreshing change from the more conventional solo instruments of smooth jazz. It’s inventive and will get everyone from all ages to get up and move!

“Open Your Heart” has an emotional intention behind it that is rarely present in music these days. Geoff Alpert found his way back to music after the passing of his wife in 2002. He took this loss and turned it into motivation to create a smooth jazz album that exudes positivity and good intentions. Alpert attributes much of who he is to his extensive study of the martial art Ken-Ka-Kung Fu.

Geoff Alpert’s “Open Your Heart” is an album that has something for almost everyone. The music is relaxing, uplifting, and intelligently composed. If you haven’t yet, you can listen to the album on iTunes, CD Baby and Amazon.

Be sure to keep up with Geoff on Facebook, Twitter, Reverbnation and his official website www.GeoffAlpert.com for any updates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back