1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Jazz Recommendations from this Century

Discussion in 'Music' started by lugbug1, Nov 23, 2011.
First

Back
16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
27 28
Next

Last
  1. Topspin70
    Came across this by chance. Very nice interplay between vocal and guitar work.

Unknown.jpeg

2. Topspin70
    On the topic of Charlie Hunter, here's a recent one. Been mentioned in an earlier post, but I'll shamelessly repeat it here:

Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 11.38.58 AM.png

3. earnmyturns
    Listened to a fantastic set by these guys at SFJAZZ yesterday, now listening to the album. Back to the late 60s-early 70s in the best funky way.

4. Topspin70
    Very nice. Saw on the other thread that the yggy gets it spot on in terms of making the performance sound just like it does in real life. It's like having them play in your home anytime you feel like. What a joy that is.

earnmyturns likes this.
  5. Topspin70
    A jazzy trip back to the 50s...

Screen Shot 2017-06-15 at 11.30.59 AM.png

6. Topspin70
    Smooth new album released on Tidal. Worth a listen.

Screen Shot 2017-06-21 at 4.57.42 PM.png

7. earnmyturns
    Heard them play several of these live a while ago, refreshing my memory with the album. Not one of the crazy-dissonant-out-there albums I sometimes recommend, this is more mellow but always engaging and stepping out lightly from the beaten path. Ben Street on bass (I've been hearing him a lot live, most recently on an awesome live gig with Chris Potter, David Virelles, and Dan Weiss) weaves a subtle web between Parks's piano piano and Hart's drums. Delightful evening music.

[​IMG]

Topspin70 likes this.
  8. 472439
    Just have to say that trumpeter Terell Staffords is dishing out old school jazz that’s upbeat and joyful and beams a melody like a wide smile.

Topspin70 likes this.
  9. 472439
    This is some of the best drums I've ever heard:

10. Topspin70
    Nice new album I found on Tidal. Check it out:

Screen Shot 2017-07-17 at 2.57.43 PM.png

earnmyturns likes this.
  11. Gibson59
    Screen Shot 2017-07-18 at 9.24.07 AM.png Just came across this in Tidal. Great jazz piano with some hints of bluegrass (mandolin).

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    earnmyturns and Topspin70 like this.
  12. 472439
    In the mood for some Grant:

earnmyturns and Topspin70 like this.
  13. earnmyturns
    Been traveling for almost one month, just catching up and getting some new jazz :) Here are three (relatively) recent releases not mentioned earlier here that I recommend:

Flaga: The Book of Angels, volume 27: Craig Taborn (piano), Christian McBride (bass), Tyshawn Sorey (drums), great energy, drive, drags you along like wild horses. Taborn and Sorey have been on fire for the last several years.
    Verisimilitude: Tyshawn Sorey. Demands close listening, not your dinner jazz, closer to avantgarde classical for sure, austere, brilliant.
    Passin' Thru: Charles Lloyd New Quartet. Quintessential lyrical, meandering, earthy now, flying then Lloyd, with standout sidemen Jason Moran (piano), Reuben Rogers (bass), and Eric Harland (drums).

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    Topspin70 likes this.
  14. Topspin70
    Glad to see something new from Charles Lloyd. I'm becoming quite a fan recently.

15. 472439
    This Pres album is Great. The highlights for me are the slow tempo tunes, beautifully played.

Topspin70 likes this.
First

Back
16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
27 28
Next

Last