Jazz Recommendations from this Century
Apr 20, 2017 at 11:04 PM Post #316 of 411
I may have mentioned before that I'm a big fan of Charles Lloyd. And of Eric Harland. Two jazz generations renewing the music together with love and deep feeling. I've heard them live many times with others, always a wonderful treat to watch them connect, gently nudging each other into new territory, with a great sense of humor and openness. Here, they get together with a great set of musicians to do something different. The "Wild Man" of the title must be Lloyd, but the only wildness in his gentle demeanor is in how he blows his horn, and in how he teases hypocrisy and cant when he gives one of his impromptu loving critiques of the times.

Apr 21, 2017 at 12:23 AM Post #317 of 411
Just out out on ECM. Release date from Roon is for the future physical CD, the digital download is out now. Unfortunately, metadata for hires releases is lacking or a mess, so I/Roon fall back onto CD metadata, which is not a perfect match. I got the hires download from HighResAudio.com, who being German seem to get ECM releases earlier than the other lossless download sites. I heard the trio live at SFJAZZ a couple of months ago. A more mellow, traditional set than my usual fare, with unhurried rhythms and lovely intonation. Great evening music.

Apr 21, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #319 of 411
Sorry for the fake news. They got me!

http://en.mediamass.net/people/john-abercrombie/deathhoax.html

More believable because he cancelled a tour earlier in the year for health reasons.

Apr 21, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #320 of 411
  I may have mentioned before that I'm a big fan of Charles Lloyd. And of Eric Harland. Two jazz generations renewing the music together with love and deep feeling. I've heard them live many times with others, always a wonderful treat to watch them connect, gently nudging each other into new territory, with a great sense of humor and openness. Here, they get together with a great set of musicians to do something different. The "Wild Man" of the title must be Lloyd, but the only wildness in his gentle demeanor is in how he blows his horn, and in how he teases hypocrisy and cant when he gives one of his impromptu loving critiques of the times.

Listening to it now. Certainly special and something I wouldn't discover unless through recommendation. 

Apr 21, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #321 of 411
Here's a new release on Tidal that's quite a good listen: 

It's jazz meets ambient meets electronic. Looks like quite a few Jazz musicians are fusing modern elements to be relevant with younger ears. 

Apr 22, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #322 of 411
more "jazzy" than "jazz" i reckon, but...

as long as I'm flirting with off-topicness, taht KY Organic reminded me of Dawn of Midi a bit

Apr 23, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #324 of 411
Currently listening to Terence Blanchard - Bounce. Aaron Parks, Eric Harland, Robert Glasper. What a combo. And exceptional recording even via Tidal. 

Apr 23, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #325 of 411
  Currently listening to Terence Blanchard - Bounce. Aaron Parks, Eric Harland, Robert Glasper. What a combo. And exceptional recording even via Tidal. 

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out. I've found Blanchard more flash than creativity in a couple of live performances I've heard, but he's a good composer, his opera "Champion" was powerful although occasionally a bit ponderous and clichéd. Update: Hey, you left out something important, that album has also Lionel Loueke on guitar! Loueke is amazing, I've heard him live several times in the last few years in different groups, and he several good albums out too, such as"Heritage" and his latest, "Gaïa." And he does an intense electric job in the recent "Aziza" album with Dave Holland, Chris Potter, and Eric Harland.

Apr 23, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #326 of 411
They sure aren't too far off. What genre would this fall under I wonder. 

Something like Third Stream Electro-Acoustic Minimalist Contemporary Techno Classical? Though probably the reason I associate it with jazz at all is the choice of instrument.
I think they're maybe mining similar territory as some of Moritz von Oswald's stuff.

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8QSVynAGfY[/VIDEO]

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c3HobItY8E[/VIDEO]

Apr 23, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #327 of 411
  Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out. I've found Blanchard more flash than creativity in a couple of live performances I've heard, but he's a good composer, his opera "Champion" was powerful although occasionally a bit ponderous and clichéd. Update: Hey, you left out something important, that album has also Lionel Loueke on guitar! Loueke is amazing, I've heard him live several times in the last few years in different groups, and he several good albums out too, such as"Heritage" and his latest, "Gaïa." And he does an intense electric job in the recent "Aziza" album with Dave Holland, Chris Potter, and Eric Harland.

Thanks for highlighting Lionel Loueke. I just had a listen to GAIA and he's indeed impressive. In fact I gave BOUNCE a closer listen and paid more attention to hear his guitar play. He was fantastic on my favourite track Nocturna. As for Blanchard, he certainly sounds rather 'vocal' on certain tracks, which I guess is what you meant by flash than creative, perhaps not too integrated with the rest. But hey, it's his name is on the album right. Haha. 

Apr 23, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #328 of 411
Something like Third Stream Electro-Acoustic Minimalist Contemporary Techno Classical? Though probably the reason I associate it with jazz at all is the choice of instrument.
I think they're maybe mining similar territory as some of Moritz von Oswald's stuff.

I like to see Roon create a sub-genre for that category. ; )  It's bound to send some links into overdrive. 

Love the suggestions. First impression is that they're more electronic, downbeat ambient material. But as you mentioned, the use of jazz instruments instead of all synthesizers. And some jazz elements are apparent too. 

Apr 26, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #329 of 411
Apr 26, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #330 of 411
Overcoming my confusion over the new website with a little tribute to Wayne Shorter.

MYSTERIOUS SHORTER ~ Nicholas Payton / Bob Beldon / Sam Yahel / John Hart / Billy Drummond

I would have included an album pic except now I gotta load onto imgur to get a link. Sure takes the ease out of things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back