Jazz Recommendations from this Century
Apr 10, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #287 of 411
<a data-cke-saved-href="http://phronesistrio.bandcamp.com/album/the-behemoth-hd-24bit-96khz" href="http://phronesistrio.bandcamp.com/album/the-behemoth-hd-24bit-96khz">The Behemoth [HD] [24Bit 96kHz] by Phronesis</a>

Apr 10, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #288 of 411
East West Time Line is a real treat.  Excellent recommendation.  First time I listened I didn't appreciate it as much as it was distracted listening.  2nd time around I am enjoying it a lot.    

I've listened to only the live version of Arclight (Live in LA) available on Tidal.  Pretty amazing.  I'll eventually get to the studio version.  I think he's going to be in Seattle this month.  I should check it out.

Quote:
  Just out on Mack Avenue Records and various lossless download venues (got mine from HDtracks), beautifully recorded with a lot of depth, fun and lyrical, just listening to the second track "Watercolors" where Kevin Eubanks is doing a stunning acoustic guitar duet with Dave Holland's bass punctuated by Jeff “Tain” Watts's light cymbal strokes. And now Nicholas Payton comes on with a liquid, full-sounding trumpet. Wow, this is a keeper for those mellow evening moods. http://somethingelsereviews.com/2017/04/01/kevin-eubanks-east-west-time-line-2017/

Update: This is not just good, this is awesome! The recording quality is superb, truly 3D in my living room, I can "see" the players and their instruments as if I was sitting in front of the band. I just got up from my sofa to to go the kitchen briefly, and Dave Holland's bass was truly there localized in the back of the "stage" as I walked in front from right to left. The different drums and cymbals are in their own different places. Mack Avenue does a very good job usually, but this is special. Speaking of Mack Avenue, out of curiosity I just looked up their titles in my collection, and they are all keepers:

Kevin Eubanks, "East West Time Line"
Warren Wolf, "Convergence"
Kenny Garret, "Do Your Dance!"
New Gary Burton Quartet, "Common Ground"
Danilo Peréz, John Patitucci, Brian Blade, "Children of the Light" (heard this live at the Village Vanguard, superb)
Julian Lage & Nels Cline, "Room" (going to hear Nels Cline on his "Lovers" tour on Sunday)
Julian Lage, "Arclight" (yes, I'm a big Julian Lage fan)
Danilo Peréz, "Providencia"

If you forced me down to 3 of the above, tough call. Definitely "Children of the Light" and "Arclight," toss up between "East West Time Line" (still listening) and "Convergence." But they are all very good.

Apr 10, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #289 of 411
 I think he's going to be in Seattle this month.  I should check it out.

Saw him at SFJAZZ yesterday as part of Nels Cline's "Lovers" suite tour, great show. Cline and Lage did an impromptu purely acoustic duet just 4 feet from our front-row seats that was a super-fun addition to the orchestrated "Lovers" material. You might enjoy the Cline/Lage "Room" duets album.

Apr 10, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #290 of 411
  Saw him at SFJAZZ yesterday as part of Nels Cline's "Lovers" suite tour, great show. Cline and Lage did an impromptu purely acoustic duet just 4 feet from our front-row seats that was a super-fun addition to the orchestrated "Lovers" material. You might enjoy the Cline/Lage "Room" duets album.

haven't heard any of the cline/lage stuff will check it out

i think nels is one of if not "the greatest" living guitar player

imho

Apr 10, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #291 of 411
Cool.  One night in April, Tour name: Release The Hounds: An Evening with Julian Lage, Chris Eldridge and Aoife O’Donovan.  Wife can't make it and none of my friends are jazz enthusiasts.  Might have to go solo.  Might be able to get a friend I work with who isn't from the US some much needed exposure to jazz.    

Your Warren Wolf recommendation Convergence is definitely worth a listen.  If a vibraphone can't put you in a good mood nothing else will.  His version of 'Knocks Me off My Feet' was excellent.  Gotta love those throwback renditions of songs (when done well).  

Quote:

Apr 10, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #292 of 411
  haven't heard any of the cline/lage stuff will check it out

i think nels is one of if not "the greatest" living guitar player

imho

Nels Cline is amazing, had never heard him live, the wealth of rhythms, moods, styles, and tones he commands is beyond anything I've experienced, and I've listened live to quite a few other major (jazz) guitar players: Bill Frisell, Marc Ribot (listening to his outstanding "SIlent Movies" right now), John Abercrombie, Julian Lage, Pat Metheny, Kevin Eubanks, Lionel Loueke, ...

Apr 10, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #293 of 411
Cool.  One night in April, Tour name: Release The Hounds: An Evening with Julian Lage, Chris Eldridge and Aoife O’Donovan.  Wife can't make it and none of my friends are jazz enthusiasts.  Might have to go solo.  Might be able to get a friend I work with who isn't from the US some much needed exposure to jazz.    

Your Warren Wolf recommendation Convergence is definitely worth a listen.  If a vibraphone can't put you in a good mood nothing else will.  His version of 'Knocks Me off My Feet' was excellent.  Gotta love those throwback renditions of songs (when done well).  

I don't know that combination, but to get a flavor you might try to listen to something from the Lage/Eldridge "Avalon" album or one of their many joint videos on YouTube, maybe that will help your friends make up their minds. Lage is technically so accomplished, he's been playing professionally since his teens and he has a lot of different styles at his command.

Warren Wolf is a member of the SFJAZZ Collective, I heard him with them this SFJAZZ season. We were sitting just a few feet from him, the best live vibes set I remember since Steve Nelson with the famed Dave Holland Quintet (Chris Potter, Robin Eubanks, Steve Nelson, Dave Holland, Nate Smith) over 10 years ago (several gigs at the Painted Bride in Philly; if you haven't heard their "Critical Mass", you need to).

Apr 10, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #294 of 411
<a data-cke-saved-href="http://hot8brassband.bandcamp.com/album/on-the-spot" href="http://hot8brassband.bandcamp.com/album/on-the-spot">On The Spot by Hot 8 Brass Band</a>

Apr 11, 2017 at 12:03 AM Post #295 of 411
  <a data-cke-saved-href="http://hot8brassband.bandcamp.com/album/on-the-spot" href="http://hot8brassband.bandcamp.com/album/on-the-spot">On The Spot by Hot 8 Brass Band</a>

discovered them with Sexual Healing. Always loved their energy and new orleans sound.
Nice thread we got here - Hussain, Holland, and that drummer that plays Joshua Redman, and many other greats being namedropped left and right...
sub'd!

Apr 11, 2017 at 12:44 AM Post #296 of 411
I haven't heard Critical Mass but I will soon.  I have a lot of catching up to do that it will take me time to get up to speed on the current pulse of jazz, but this thread is helping.    

Quote:
  Warren Wolf is a member of the SFJAZZ Collective, I heard him with them this SFJAZZ season. We were sitting just a few feet from him, the best live vibes set I remember since Steve Nelson with the famed Dave Holland Quintet (Chris Potter, Robin Eubanks, Steve Nelson, Dave Holland, Nate Smith) over 10 years ago (several gigs at the Painted Bride in Philly; if you haven't heard their "Critical Mass", you need to).

Apr 11, 2017 at 5:57 AM Post #297 of 411
All these talk about Warren Wolf got me listening to drummer Willie Jones III's Groundwork. Not sure where this stands among the great names you guys mentioned but sure sound mighty nice to my ears. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 11, 2017 at 7:27 AM Post #298 of 411

Just realised the star-studded ensemble behind Convergence. John Scofield on guitars, Brad Mehldau on piano, Christian Mcbride on strings. Wow.

Apr 11, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #299 of 411
Just realised the star-studded ensemble behind Convergence. John Scofield on guitars, Brad Mehldau on piano, Christian Mcbride on strings. Wow.

Yup. Warren is hot, the older generation(s) seem to like playing with him :)

Apr 12, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #300 of 411
<a data-cke-saved-href="http://badbadnotgoodil.bandcamp.com/album/iii" href="http://badbadnotgoodil.bandcamp.com/album/iii">III by BADBADNOTGOOD</a>

No sure if this falls in line with what you're looking for, but this band (especially their earlier instrumental albums) has a lot of jazz elements infused varying elements of hip hop, pop and other things. I find the drumming to be particularly stand out for the solid grooves. Listen from the first track 'Triangle' to give you a fairly good idea of how the rest of the album will pan out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back