Is the Audiolab m-dac still relevant in 2017?
May 24, 2017 at 6:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

AndyDandy

New Head-Fier
It has the ESS9018 chip, a class A amp and XLR outs. It has won many awards as well. However, this unit is from 2010. Does it have competitors that nowadays outperform it (within the Audiolab m-dac price range)?

Aug 4, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #2 of 4
Thought I'd revive this thread rather than start another. I have the opportunity to get a used unit for $500 AUD which seems like a reasonable deal.
I'd be using it as both a DAC and headphone amp, for headphones I don't even have yet!

Pretty new to the whole game, but I've heard people mention that DACs are always getting outdated quick as technology progresses? Also with a lot of amps having balanced headphone out and these not (unless the balanced speaker outputs could be used?)

Aug 4, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #3 of 4
I think you should bite the bullet and purchase it. If you do then I would love to hear your impressions. From what I've read, most people think it's exceptionally good in music presentation, but may be a tiny bit bright. Then again that would depend on the audio filter they used when reviewing the unit.

Aug 4, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #4 of 4
To be honest, I have nothing to compare it to! haha
When I've read that it's a little bright, it's often followed by something along the lines of "... but for it's price this is an excellent unit", which from what I can gather is $1200+
I'll do a little more research tomorrow but I think I'll jump on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back