Introducing Lotoo PAW Gold
Jul 18, 2017 at 3:05 AM Post #3,661 of 4,765
Although I mainly listen with (c)iems out of the LPG...the MSR7 posts have caught my attention and now I'm curious how it holds up to the HD700 and PS500 that I have over here.
I must say the MSR7 looks comfortable in the pics, but clamping force (one of the main reasons why I sold my great sounding LCD-2) doesn't show on pics of course.

Well, for 'only' €200 I might give it a try someday....I hate this hobby, everytime I think I finally have peace of mind with what I've got, something else/new turns up around the corner :grin:

There is an easy remedy if you can't take the clamping force. See Tyll's video about the MSR7. Or you can use it's box and let the headphone band stretch a bit.

I am finding lots of gems lately both for both iems and headphones. Price is indeed not an indicator of a good quality sound. Vsonic GR07/9, the tascam/teac TH-02 to name a few sounds lovely driven by LPG. But MSR7 is on another level.

As I mentioned if you love details, perfect imaging and crystal clear clarity MSR7 can compete with HD800 at least driven by LPG. Of course, physics has a limit and the close-back design is only how far MSR7 can go against HD800.

But to me, it's an HD800 on the go.

Jul 18, 2017 at 3:08 AM Post #3,662 of 4,765
i know that it is OT but I have to ask, better than the hyped meze 99 classic if you heard it?

When I tried the Meze it sounds so muddy. It is too warm for my taste. It may have lots of bass quantity but the quality, especially the texture is lacking. I want to like it because of the design. But just can't enjoy the sound.

Jul 18, 2017 at 3:17 AM Post #3,663 of 4,765
When I tried the Meze it sounds so muddy. It is too warm for my taste. It may have lots of bass quantity but the quality, especially the texture is lacking. I want to like it because of the design. But just can't enjoy the sound.
Thanks, now I know what to try next for the headphone when I need a new one.

Jul 18, 2017 at 7:04 AM Post #3,664 of 4,765
I would politely disagree. The issue here is pairing, Meze 99 Classic and LPG don't blend well because it yields way too much bass and agressive treble, with not much in between.
The Meze behave much better with "flatter" sources (note I didn't say flat). They don't have amazing clarity but calling them muddy is a bit harsh.
Best pairing I had: AK380, FiiO X5-iii, Meizu Pro5
Decent pairing: Opus #1, LG V10
Worst pairing: LPG, Cayin N5, Mojo (weird one this Mojo, it usually yields great results with most headphones, but Meze 99 treble sounded very weird with the Mojo).

Jul 18, 2017 at 7:23 AM Post #3,665 of 4,765
I would politely disagree. The issue here is pairing, Meze 99 Classic and LPG don't blend well because it yields way too much bass and agressive treble, with not much in between.
The Meze behave much better with "flatter" sources (note I didn't say flat). They don't have amazing clarity but calling them muddy is a bit harsh.
Best pairing I had: AK380, FiiO X5-iii, Meizu Pro5
Decent pairing: Opus #1, LG V10
Worst pairing: LPG, Cayin N5, Mojo (weird one this Mojo, it usually yields great results with most headphones, but Meze 99 treble sounded very weird with the Mojo).

Tried the Meze with Mojo as well, the best sounding headphones I had sounds good on all sources that have enough juice to power it. Meze 99 is not hard to drive. It is actually designed to be used as portable. So if it doesn't work with half the source then it must be bad. LPG/Mojo should be able to drive a huge range of headphone as it was designed for. If a headphone sound bad on both of these sources then more or less it will sound bad for the rest of my sources

Jul 18, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #3,666 of 4,765
Tried the Meze with Mojo as well, the best sounding headphones I had sounds good on all sources that have enough juice to power it. Meze 99 is not hard to drive. It is actually designed to be used as portable. So if it doesn't work with half the source then it must be bad. LPG/Mojo should be able to drive a huge range of headphone as it was designed for. If a headphone sound bad on both of these sources then more or less it will sound bad for the rest of my sources
I don't follow your reasoning.
Pairing doesn't have anything to do with having enough juice to power headphones correctly: if you pair a warm headphone with a warm source, the result will be extremely warm, which may sound weird (that's an example).

You seem to be fixated on putting the entire blame on the headphones, while the source can be equally responsible for the result. Hence the word "pairing".

LPG is far from being a neutral source, so pairing does matter (unless you want to spend some time EQ-ing, which is fine).

Jul 18, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #3,667 of 4,765
I don't follow your reasoning.
Pairing doesn't have anything to do with having enough juice to power headphones correctly: if you pair a warm headphone with a warm source, the result will be extremely warm, which may sound weird (that's an example).

LPG is far from being a neutral source, so pairing does matter (unless you want to spend some time EQ-ing, which is fine).

Most DAP output has limits as far as voltage and current they can deliver. And they are not linear and mostly the output is worse in their absolute low and high end of their power output range. So depending on headphone loads certain Daps can easily be pushed out of their best power output range. Hence why sources with more power output supports wider range of loads and tend to make them sound right. High Output impedance can also create audible distortion. LPG and Mojo is designed to eliminate both of these potential problems for most loads.

My point is, I use LPG and/or Mojo because they can't be easily stressed by most headphones. If I stick to your analogy, an iPod classic is far more sensitive to different loads (both power and OI) and thus need to find the right headphone to make it sound as good as any setup.

I didn't try to EQ when I tried the Meze 99, which I don't do when I demo any headphone. I just don't buy the idea of finding the correct Dap just to like the Meze if I already have an LPG, that makes all other headphones I have (which have difference sound signatures and loads) sound right.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 6:58 AM Post #3,669 of 4,765
I had a chance to compare my LPG with AK380 copper. LPG is a great dap guys, except the old style UI.

Attachments

• IMG_2854.JPG
    IMG_2854.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Jul 19, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #3,670 of 4,765
I had a chance to compare my LPG with AK380 copper. LPG is a great dap guys, except the old style UI.

I agree. The LPG really needs the right headphones and cables. It sounds great with my Shure SRH1540/stock cable combination. When I equip my Shures with Moon Audio Silver Dragon cables, LPG sounds way too bright and aggressive. Black Dragons next time...

Jul 20, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #3,671 of 4,765
Does anyone know how the Campfire Audio Vega pairs with the Lotoo Paw Gold Diana?

Jul 20, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #3,672 of 4,765
Diana needs more DSD. What is the best site to go to for DSD music downloads?

Jul 20, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #3,673 of 4,765
Sounds like Diana is a demanding mistress (Feed Me!). I've gotten some DSD from HDTracks.com.

Jul 21, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #3,674 of 4,765
Lotoo Paw Gold Diana pairs beautifully with the Shure SRH 150 with stock cables and Shure SE846s. Silver Dragon cables make the headphones too bright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back