High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and reviews.
Jul 10, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #962 of 4,183
Jul 10, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #963 of 4,183
A friend has a cheap iem and lost the stock cable. By cheap I mean cheap and old. So I was lioking for a stock 2 pin cable. How much would a 2 pin cost at VE?
The cheapest option is 17.5 USD.

Jul 10, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #964 of 4,183
Jul 10, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #965 of 4,183
Thats very ideal. Thanks.

also, check Penon audio budget cables, everything under $100 and there are some pretty good multi-core budget cables (I covered some here).

Jul 13, 2017 at 12:05 AM Post #966 of 4,183
@twister6 : This thread is going to become Low end (IEM) cable thread since we are running out of money to buy those Hi-end. lol

Jul 13, 2017 at 2:25 AM Post #967 of 4,183
Well I went to YY Audio Shop looking for affordable 2 pin cables. They said they can make it for me for less than $40 USD. Waited over one hour and a half for him to make two cables. Presto Copper 2 pin cables.
20170712_163408.jpg

Jul 13, 2017 at 2:27 AM Post #968 of 4,183
@twister6 : This thread is going to become Low end (IEM) cable thread since we are running out of money to buy those Hi-end. lol
High End can mean greater than $2,000 USD and Low end can be $800 USD.

Jul 13, 2017 at 2:33 AM Post #969 of 4,183
High End can mean greater than $2,000 USD and Low end can be $800 USD.
Could you provide link of YY Audio Shop? This purple cable looks nice. Anyway, OMG up to $800USD is still Low-End. lol

Jul 13, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #971 of 4,183

Tell you what. I am a hardcore DIY person, and these Cables are easy peasy. But at this store you just linked, they have the most reasonable pricing to materials into produced cables that I have seen out there in the market at this moment. I do think that any lower than this is and would be very insane, because from my own experiences, using authentic and authorized materials from dealers, working on them myself, these cables are priced at the markup of probably only 50-20% (couldn't tell exactly due to the nature of wires Sizes not being disclosed), and that is insane.

Now, one thing to be aware of is that there are a huge markets that mimic and counterfeit these wires materials. There is no way to tell physically, and this is the reason why I only go with "authorized dealers" as the sourced for my wires. Not saying that this place is using any of those.....but if they could show their wires authenticity and certifications by the manufacturer that would give a better piece of mind. Again, no one could stop authorized and certified dealers to hand out counterfeit wires, but larger business and bigger places typically care more about their business than profit, and is another reason why I opt for big places myself.

Most other places i have seen is that, they marked it up from the minimum of 100% to 350% or even more.

Good find sir !

Could you provide link of YY Audio Shop? This purple cable looks nice. Anyway, OMG up to $800USD is still Low-End. lol

Depends, mostly expensive because of exotic materials being used. Then if you count in mark-up, sure! The exotic materials itself for high-end cables can easily cost u]more than $800..lol...some connectors are in the hundred dollar range. For example Pentaconn OFC 4.4mm....Furutech 3.5mm....etc....etc.

Jul 17, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #972 of 4,183
IMG_1344.JPG
hi everyone can anyone please link me to a quality 2.5mm trrs plug to use with my ak kann to convert my single 3.5mm single ended cable

my tucana cable is thick so please advise me which to buy

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #973 of 4,183
hi everyone can anyone please link me to a quality 2.5mm trrs plug to use with my ak kann to convert my single 3.5mm single ended cable

my tucana cable is thick so please advise me which to buy

Eidolic makes a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter I believe. But wouldn't you want to just re-terminate the cable so that you can use it fully balanced out of your A&K player? I've had this done a few times and can recommend a place if you want to consider that.

Jul 17, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #974 of 4,183
You cannot make a TRS cable a TRRS with an adapter. You must reterminate.

The whole point of balanced is that the -L & -R never join. NEVER. If you use an adapter, those two signals will join at the original plug, which will short out whatever balanced amp you are using. This will very likely damage your device. Don't do it. Don't even think about it. Scrub your mind of such nonsense, go hither, and live right.

Jul 17, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #975 of 4,183
Recommend either Furutech Rhodium 2.5 mm or eidolic carbon fiber 2.5 mm TRRS for retermination. it has enough space for putting cable in and they are decent brands making a good quality plug for a long time.
https://doublehelixcables.com/product/eidolic-e2-5g-bc-astell-kern-carbon-fiber-2-5mm-plug-new/
https://music-sanctuary.com/collections/diy-parts
By the way, what is the diameter of your cable? if it is less than 7 mm, it is okay.

If not, this one should be used. cuz it has 8 mm hole
https://doublehelixcables.com/product/eidolic-2-5mm-spacious-barrel-for-astell-kern-4-pole-trrs/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back