High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and reviews.
Apr 24, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #706 of 4,183
What type of cable would be best suited to improve vocals? I'm using the Campfire Vega with the DX200, and just bought a balanced pure copper (26awg) cable from Impact Audio, which looks fantastic and feels very well built, and gives the best bass I've heard but I feel the vocals take a little step back, and I'm thinking it might be the pure copper.

My budget is $400 max, was considering an option from Effect Audio perhaps. Would prefer to keep the strong bass so maybe a copper/silver like the Eros?

I think PW No.5 is great for vocals. Eros I gave me a more V-shaped sound, didn't really affect the mids much.

Apr 24, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #707 of 4,183
I originally wanted the Ref 8 but as great as it may sound, I will be using it on my commute as well, and I read a review stating that humanity has never created a more microphonic cable :D

What nonsense. :cool:

Apr 24, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #708 of 4,183
I would say Ref 8 is a bit noisy compared to other thicker cables like Effect Audio Leonidas.
When you walk and the cable hitting against you body, will produce this vibrating/bouncy noise.

Ref 8 wire is actually stiff but due to the wire is thin it gives you the more flexible feel.

Apr 24, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #709 of 4,183
What type of cable would be best suited to improve vocals? I'm using the Campfire Vega with the DX200, and just bought a balanced pure copper (26awg) cable from Impact Audio, which looks fantastic and feels very well built, and gives the best bass I've heard but I feel the vocals take a little step back, and I'm thinking it might be the pure copper.

My budget is $400 max, was considering an option from Effect Audio perhaps. Would prefer to keep the strong bass so maybe a copper/silver like the Eros?

I believe what you need is a cable with a mid-centric sound with a focus on tonality. Flinkenick recently reviewed the PlusSound Audio's X8 Gold Plated Copper(GPC) cable, which seems to have that sound.

Now, the X8 is a 8 wire version and costs double your budget. Plussound Audio has the same cable in the 4 wire form called the Exo Series cable. You may want to PM Christian (@PLUSSOUND) and find out if the Exo GPC (4 wire version) has the same tonality as the X8 GPC (8 wire version). If yes, then that'd be your golden ticket as the price of the Exo GPC is $400 and they are currently running a 5% off promotion.

Apr 24, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #711 of 4,183
Those fiends! They didn't tell me! :D

Apr 24, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #712 of 4,183
Those fiends! They didn't tell me!
biggrin.gif

Something new is coming. Stay tuned for the unveiling.​

They did give a tease, for 24/4. But it did not reach Pinky I guess. Cheeky :D

Apr 24, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #713 of 4,183
They did give a tease, for 24/4. But it did not reach Pinky I guess. Cheeky :D

I've been in bed with them for months, and no pillow talk. What is this world coming it? :cool:

Apr 24, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #714 of 4,183
A piece of meat ? :joy:

Apr 25, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #715 of 4,183
Having a bit of a hard time finding a store to look into these more as all the sites seem to be in Chinese, any suggested sites?
I originally wanted the Ref 8 but as great as it may sound, I will be using it on my commute as well, and I read a review stating that humanity has never created a more microphonic cable
biggrin.gif

I do have one for sale when I bought my W80. If you want to reconsider then let me know, the cable is stiff, but microphonic is not as bad as people make it out to be, if you use the choke it also helps.

Apr 25, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #716 of 4,183
I do have one for sale when I bought my W80. If you want to reconsider then let me know, the cable is stiff, but microphonic is not as bad as people make it out to be, if you use the choke it also helps.

Sending PM!

Apr 25, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #717 of 4,183
From what I understand, you get better sound benefits by choosing a thicker cable gauge then you do from choosing copper vs silver, for example.

So which would be better, then - an 8 wire with 32awg strands or a 4-wire with 26awg strands?

Assume the materials are the same (Cooper x4 and SPC x4 in the 8-wire, and copper x2 SPC x2 in the 4-wire).

I'm considering a custom 8-wire with 26awg strands but wondering if it might be too unwieldy for portable use with the Vega...

Apr 25, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #718 of 4,183
There's actually no better between thick or thin, it depends on what sound you are looking for.

Thicker/more wire might need more power to drive.

Apr 26, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #720 of 4,183
For IEM, Negligible :/.
Thanks for the feedback. Sure doesn't make the search for an upgrade cable any easier though lol...

So... a cable upgrade won't be noticeable with an IEM in general? Even one like the Vega? Or is it that the type of cable will make more of a difference than the thickness or wire count?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back