Hifiman RE-800
Jul 5, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #91 of 262
First impressions originally posted to my blog:

Passion and elegance. For the first album played I had to go with a classic; Pink Floyd’s ‘Dark Side of the Moon’. Like many, I have listened to this album cover to cover countless times and through the RE800 is the best it’s ever been. From the registers ringing in the album opener ‘Speak to Me’, to Clare Torry’s emotionally stirring presence on ‘Great Gig in the Sky’, to the synth and guitar masterpiece that is ‘Any Colour You Like’, it was easy to lose myself in the album again as if I were listening to it for the first time.

20170704_143347.jpg 20170704_143501_HDR.jpg 20170704_143726.jpg

Next up was my personal favorite in the progressive rock genre, Supertramp’s ‘Crime of the Century’. This time I skipped right to ‘Rudy’ where Davies and Hodgson’s vocals were re-created flawlessly. Every key of the piano sounded just right and the orchestral pieces had the right body, playing on their own clearly defined and spacious stage. It was awesome.

In terms of fit, everyone has already gushed over how small and comfortable they are so I’m not going to say much beyond “I agree.” While I quite like the design and cable, just like on the RE2000 the lack of proper strain relief sticks out. On the RE2000 I can almost forgive it because that model uses removable cables, but the RE800 doesn’t have that luxury. Let’s just hope this plush, microphonic free cable can stand the test of time.

20170704_143805.jpg 20170704_143840.jpg 20170704_144049.jpg
Overall first impressions of the RE800 are quite positive I’d say. They handle two of my favorite progressive rock albums with aplomb and do a great job of hiding their presence through impressive comfort and ergonomics. Plus, they look classy while they’re at it.

Jul 6, 2017 at 11:58 PM Post #94 of 262
First impressions originally posted to my blog:

Passion and elegance. For the first album played I had to go with a classic; Pink Floyd’s ‘Dark Side of the Moon’. Like many, I have listened to this album cover to cover countless times and through the RE800 is the best it’s ever been. From the registers ringing in the album opener ‘Speak to Me’, to Clare Torry’s emotionally stirring presence on ‘Great Gig in the Sky’, to the synth and guitar masterpiece that is ‘Any Colour You Like’, it was easy to lose myself in the album again as if I were listening to it for the first time.

Next up was my personal favorite in the progressive rock genre, Supertramp’s ‘Crime of the Century’. This time I skipped right to ‘Rudy’ where Davies and Hodgson’s vocals were re-created flawlessly. Every key of the piano sounded just right and the orchestral pieces had the right body, playing on their own clearly defined and spacious stage. It was awesome.

In terms of fit, everyone has already gushed over how small and comfortable they are so I’m not going to say much beyond “I agree.” While I quite like the design and cable, just like on the RE2000 the lack of proper strain relief sticks out. On the RE2000 I can almost forgive it because that model uses removable cables, but the RE800 doesn’t have that luxury. Let’s just hope this plush, microphonic free cable can stand the test of time.

Overall first impressions of the RE800 are quite positive I’d say. They handle two of my favorite progressive rock albums with aplomb and do a great job of hiding their presence through impressive comfort and ergonomics. Plus, they look classy while they’re at it.

thank you so much ! i like RE800 more

Jul 7, 2017 at 6:03 AM Post #95 of 262
Turns out my snugs fit these perfectly, they were originally made for the SoundMAGIC E10 but work with a few IEM's.

The bass has really come out with insane punch you can feel, bit of a mid bass boom unfortunately, but there is no more massive peak in the upper mids/lower highs, far from fatiguing but possibly a bit too bassy for my likes now.

IMG_20170707_105849.jpg

Jul 12, 2017 at 7:26 AM Post #104 of 262
More pictures than sonic impressions on this one!

Are you asking for more pictures or just suggesting there is more hype with pictures rather then sonic impressions? :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back