= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
May 18, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #17,687 of 21,172
Hi everyone I have to give to Hifiman for being among the top ever companies I ever dealt with, as you recall I had an old HE560 which I bought from someone and i totally ruined it. I sent an email to Hifiman and there is this gentleman called Mark and he went above and beyond and they sent me a replacement unit for a small fee, even me having no receipt of the old one and i assume even it was out of warranty.

I lovvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeee this HE560 what an amazing amazing headphone

May 19, 2017 at 8:29 AM Post #17,689 of 21,172
I recently picked up a pair of the HE-560 from a member here on head-fi and I absolutely love them. I listen to an extremely large range of music from classical to drum and bass to death metal (and Igorrr, he is his own genre). And these are one of the first headphones I've owned that does well for me with all styles.

May 19, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #17,690 of 21,172
Are there any alternatives to this http://vinylflat.com/canopener.html that's readily available? was planning to get a topping tp60 to power my he560s. I read that the tp60 amp can make the he500 sing. Might be a good pairing with my he560 too.

Can't find diy instructions on how to build one.
I would stay away from Class D or T amplifiers, they are not linear amps.

May 19, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #17,691 of 21,172
I've the Hifiman HE-560, paired with a Schiit Multibit Bifrost and a Gustard H10, but the latter seems to cause some strange issues. There is a scratchy noise in the background and I don't hear anything anymore. I know this has probably asked a thousand times before, but I don't know if there are any new good amps out there. Back in the days when I bought these cans, you recommended the Schiit Lyr 2, Gustard H10 and the Burson Soloist SL iirc. What's a good pairing for the HE-560 if I want to upgrade?

Thank you in advance!

Edit: I'll use at home only, so it doesn't need to be something lightwight.

Last edited:
May 19, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #17,692 of 21,172
I've the Hifiman HE-560, paired with a Schiit Multibit Bifrost and a Gustard H10, but the latter seems to cause some strange issues. There is a scratchy noise in the background and I don't hear anything anymore. I know this has probably asked a thousand times before, but I don't know if there are any new good amps out there. Back in the days when I bought these cans, you recommended the Schiit Lyr 2, Gustard H10 and the Burson Soloist SL iirc. What's a good pairing for the HE-560 if I want to upgrade?

Thank you in advance!

Edit: I'll use at home only, so it doesn't need to be something lightwight.

Depending on your budget, I like my Lyr2, other amps that have worked well with the HE560 that I've tried: Liquid Carbon, Hugo, Polaris, HA-501, Liquid Glass, DarkStar, and Red Wine Isabellina.

May 19, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #17,695 of 21,172
Thank you.will there be a problem if i use it to power my he560? Sorry.i don't know electrical stuff that goes around with these things
This would be more of a question of sound quality. These type of amps are not linear, they work in a similar fashion of a switching supply but serve the audio spectrum. As Impedance goes up from 8 Ohms an Amp's power output will drop significantly when it reached the impedance of an HE-560. Many people expect a speaker amp to deliver gobs of power, most will deliver more than you need. One Watt of clean power should be extremely loud on an HE-560. Although many people might insist upon all sorts of exotic amps, something as simple as a Schiit Magni Uber would do the job with excellence as it has a flat FR (Frequency Response) and distortion levels much smaller that what the headphones produce or what we humans can detect.

May 19, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #17,696 of 21,172
Depending on your budget, I like my Lyr2, other amps that have worked well with the HE560 that I've tried: Liquid Carbon, Hugo, Polaris, HA-501, Liquid Glass, DarkStar, and Red Wine Isabellina.
Thank you for the recommendations. I think I'd love t try the Liquid Carbon, but unfortunately it's really hard to get my hands on one, right? What's generally speaking the best way to one? As there were only a few of these amps produced, I'll have to look into second-hand I guess.

The Cavalli Liquid Carbon does indeed match up nicely. Just enough bass, and not too bright. And I agree that these are excellent with several genres.
I wish I could source them. Just need to look through the forums I suppose :frowning2:

This would be more of a question of sound quality. These type of amps are not linear, they work in a similar fashion of a switching supply but serve the audio spectrum. As Impedance goes up from 8 Ohms an Amp's power output will drop significantly when it reached the impedance of an HE-560. Many people expect a speaker amp to deliver gobs of power, most will deliver more than you need. One Watt of clean power should be extremely loud on an HE-560. Although many people might insist upon all sorts of exotic amps, something as simple as a Schiit Magni Uber would do the job with excellence as it has a flat FR (Frequency Response) and distortion levels much smaller that what the headphones produce or what we humans can detect.
Would you personally say that a Schiit Magni Uber would be more than enough and I couldn't tell a (huge) difference between the Magni Uber and a more expensive amp? I haven't had the chance to test a bigger variety of amps and I'd just love to get some more feedback from more experienced listeners.

May 19, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #17,697 of 21,172
I have had 3 desktop amps, and had good results with all of them. Had a second hand RSA HR-2 (which I sold, just because I didn't need 3 desktop amps), the LTA MicroZOTL2, and the Liquid Carbon. The LC is limited run, so you likely have to get it used. The ZOTL is the best sounding of the bunch, and the most expensive, but the others are very nice sounding as well. If you can find a used HR-2, that could be a real bargain, they seem to sell at bigger discount than the other 2 (they can still be had me AFAIK).

May 19, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #17,698 of 21,172
Would you personally say that a Schiit Magni Uber would be more than enough and I couldn't tell a (huge) difference between the Magni Uber and a more expensive amp? I haven't had the chance to test a bigger variety of amps and I'd just love to get some more feedback from more experienced listeners.
Subjective listening comparisons can be very misleading and can result in having a strong but misleading belief. If one couldn't tell what they were listening to because someone else was flipping an A/B switch and the test conditions were setup correctly, putting one's emotions and preconceptions aside, it is unlikely one could tell the difference. That's my take on this, anyone is free to have their own beliefs. Just be careful and like a boxer, protect your wallet at all times.

May 19, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #17,699 of 21,172

If you can't demo gear like me then its hard to learn if you can or can't tell the difference like @StanD suggested with blind testing. FWIW the Magni Uber is a good amp but it wouldn't be my choice with the HE560 after hearing it paired together since the Magni made the HE560 seem extra bright and lacked bass to me. One of the better amps that is not too pricy is the Project Polaris ($250) and some have said that the Elemental Watson ($250) is another good amp on the cheap.

May 20, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #17,700 of 21,172
I have had 3 desktop amps, and had good results with all of them. Had a second hand RSA HR-2 (which I sold, just because I didn't need 3 desktop amps), the LTA MicroZOTL2, and the Liquid Carbon. The LC is limited run, so you likely have to get it used. The ZOTL is the best sounding of the bunch, and the most expensive, but the others are very nice sounding as well. If you can find a used HR-2, that could be a real bargain, they seem to sell at bigger discount than the other 2 (they can still be had me AFAIK).
I wouldn't mind buying second hand, espcially for an amp. I'd probably be more picky when it comes to headphones. I've heard so many great things about the ZOTL, but the pricetag is quite high, at least for this very moment. I think I'll probably look out for a Liquid Carbon, Lyr 2 and a Polaris. I think I could be happy with a Polaris, although I'm not a huge fan of it aesthetics-wise.

Subjective listening comparisons can be very misleading and can result in having a strong but misleading belief. If one couldn't tell what they were listening to because someone else was flipping an A/B switch and the test conditions were setup correctly, putting one's emotions and preconceptions aside, it is unlikely one could tell the difference. That's my take on this, anyone is free to have their own beliefs. Just be careful and like a boxer, protect your wallet at all times.
I see what you mean. That's probably why I'll look into the Polaris a bit closer as I have a feeling that I simply couldn't appreciate a high-end amp enough.

If you can't demo gear like me then its hard to learn if you can or can't tell the difference like @StanD suggested with blind testing. FWIW the Magni Uber is a good amp but it wouldn't be my choice with the HE560 after hearing it paired together since the Magni made the HE560 seem extra bright and lacked bass to me. One of the better amps that is not too pricy is the Project Polaris ($250) and some have said that the Elemental Watson ($250) is another good amp on the cheap.
Project Polaris indeed has a very reasonable price tag and I think I'll just go with that one, if I don't happen to find a used LC. Tube rolling, on the other hand, is also something I'm interested in, that's why the Lyr 2 is still on my list. Would the Lyr 2 also a be a good choice to pair it with many other headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back