Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
May 22, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #12,256 of 14,386
Thanks for the response. I have the 400i without the back plate (and with 2.5 mm connectors) and compared to two other 400i I've heard side by side, I feel mine sounds best based on low end response....

Yeah, you wish!

Honestly though, I think they were close enough that inconsistencies in the driver may not have been the issue. Perhaps, some minor differences in clamp, the pads construction, driver burn-in (just brainstorming here), or some other physical difference may be to blame. I could just tell that there was a difference between the two, but it was too slight for me to decide which was "better." Which 400i did your friend like best?

May 23, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #12,257 of 14,386
Thanks for the response. I have the 400i without the back plate (and with 2.5 mm connectors) and compared to two other 400i I've heard side by side, I feel mine sounds best based on low end response. Highs were very similar and speed indistinguishable and all sampling was thru an m9XX dac/amp. My impression is that the grill mod becomes much less critical to open up the 400i if they don't have that backplate. I get the feeling sometimes that I'd prefer the non fazor LCD2 based on your response and what little I've read about their comparison to the fazor version. Any experience listening to those?

I've compared my LCD-2f (2014 version) with a LCD-2.2 (non-Fazor) and a 2016 (second gen Fazor) and they all sound quite different, the LCD-2.2 is the warmest of the 3 and its bass/low end is better than any HE400i (new or old version) that I've heard. Its a little too rolled off on top to me for the genres that I listen to and if the drivers die they will be replaced with the newest version so I figured its not worth it at this time for me. The newest Fazor LCD-2f (2016 version) has the best balanced FR IMO, a little better than the HE400i (old and new) but the weight is still an issue and I still like the mids on my 2014 Fazor so I haven't sent my pair back to update to the newest driver yet. The choice of amp does make a difference to me on how the HE400i sound even if they are relatively easy to drive while the LCD-2f is a little less picky and sounds decent on most amps that I've tried with it. For me the HE400i tends to sound best with a hybrid tube amp like the Lyr2 or Ember that I have but it doesn't seem to scale much pass this point since I didn't think my HE400i sounded any better from a friend's Liquid Glass compared to my Lyr2, but other headphones like the HD650, HD800, T1 and HE560 all sounded much better on the Liquid Glass.

I agree with you that the newer HE400i does not benefit as much from the grill mod but it doesn't hurt the sound quality either.

May 23, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #12,258 of 14,386
Do you guys know any brands doing the replacement cable for He-400i with 2.5 mm pins? I ask this question because I had ordered one from Effect Audio. They told me that they can do it for me with 2.5 mm pins. Then, I got it today with 2.5 mm pins. Unfortunately the stainless cover around the pins are too big (twice a size of the one come with the stock cable). I cannot plug it into my HE-400i. I feel a bit frustrated and I will return this cable. That's why I want to ask you guys that has anybody order the replacement cables from other brands before? the one with 2.5 mm pins that can fit perfectly well with he HE-400i.

011e3bfc3bd94b2e68fd08c2ad1dbf64.jpg

May 23, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #12,259 of 14,386
May 23, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #12,260 of 14,386
Do you guys know any brands doing the replacement cable for He-400i with 2.5 mm pins? I ask this question because I had ordered one from Effect Audio. They told me that they can do it for me with 2.5 mm pins. Then, I got it today with 2.5 mm pins. Unfortunately the stainless cover around the pins are too big (twice a size of the one come with the stock cable). I cannot plug it into my HE-400i. I feel a bit frustrated and I will return this cable. That's why I want to ask you guys that has anybody order the replacement cables from other brands before? the one with 2.5 mm pins that can fit perfectly well with he HE-400i.

I'd recommend VE:
https://www.veclan.com/engappliance_sel_one?eng_ApplianceVo.eac_id=8

Great quality and reasonable prices. Make sure to use a computer when you order though since their mobile page isn't very fast :wink:

May 23, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #12,262 of 14,386
Yeah, you wish!

Honestly though, I think they were close enough that inconsistencies in the driver may not have been the issue. Perhaps, some minor differences in clamp, the pads construction, driver burn-in (just brainstorming here), or some other physical difference may be to blame. I could just tell that there was a difference between the two, but it was too slight for me to decide which was "better." Which 400i did your friend like best?

I like yours and mine as they were much closer in signature to my other friend's which he sent back for replacement based on our 3-way comparison. He forgot them at home this weekend so I still haven't had a chance to essentially audition a 4th pair!

I did feel mine were a tad bit fuller/warmer than yours but nothing too concerning or dramatic. Compared to the 3rd pair which sounded anemic and almost like a different modeled Hifiman planar IMO, I think we "lucked out" if the rest don't sound like ours.

May 23, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #12,263 of 14,386

I went with this cable and it's of good quality. I'm not a cable guy though I've heard a difference in cables. I think the good ones are subtly different in sound but a crappy one can be just terrible. I consider this a good cable of good construction at a good price purchased on Amazon.

NEOMUSICIA Replacement Cable For Hifiman HE400S / HE-400I / HE560 / HE-350 / HE1000 / HE1000 V2 headphone 3.5mm male & 6.35mm adapter to 2x 2.5mm Jack

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N218RNU/

Last edited:
May 23, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #12,264 of 14,386
I like yours and mine as they were much closer in signature to my other friend's which he sent back for replacement based on our 3-way comparison. He forgot them at home this weekend so I still haven't had a chance to essentially audition a 4th pair!

I did feel mine were a tad bit fuller/warmer than yours but nothing too concerning or dramatic. Compared to the 3rd pair which sounded anemic and almost like a different modeled Hifiman planar IMO, I think we "lucked out" if the rest don't sound like ours.

Oh good! I'm glad he was able to get a replacement. Hopefully the new pair lives up to their reputation. Honestly, that A/B experience made me a bit wary of HiFiMan in general and stopped me from picking up an HE-560, at least for now. Reminds me too much of the QC debacle with the Philips X2's when they switched manufacturers.

May 25, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #12,267 of 14,386
I've been living with my 400i's for about a month now and I have to say, these are an insane bargain at $250 or so. I bought them to tide me over until I decide between some phones in the $1k-2k range later this year, a purchase after which I intend to declare game over. But, dang it if these baby Hifimans aren't so friggin' FUN to listen to! They don't do anything spectacularly, but they do everything really good. And they keep getting better (or my opinion of them does), to the point where I'm no longer eager to replace them. I have no doubt I'll eventually end up with Ether Flow or LCD-3 or similar, but these Hifimans are just a blast to listen to. I've been listening to headphones since 1979 and I've never owned any that I felt such a compulsion to throw on every day.

Listening to shiny discs on an Oppo BDP-105, feeding a Violectric V200, Marantz 2226b and Pioneer SX-780.

May 26, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #12,268 of 14,386
I've been living with my 400i's for about a month now and I have to say, these are an insane bargain at $250 or so. I bought them to tide me over until I decide between some phones in the $1k-2k range later this year, a purchase after which I intend to declare game over. But, dang it if these baby Hifimans aren't so friggin' FUN to listen to! They don't do anything spectacularly, but they do everything really good. And they keep getting better (or my opinion of them does), to the point where I'm no longer eager to replace them. I have no doubt I'll eventually end up with Ether Flow or LCD-3 or similar, but these Hifimans are just a blast to listen to. I've been listening to headphones since 1979 and I've never owned any that I felt such a compulsion to throw on every day.

Listening to shiny discs on an Oppo BDP-105, feeding a Violectric V200, Marantz 2226b and Pioneer SX-780.

I agree, the HE400i is my daily driver. Speed and Detail is just delicious.

May 26, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #12,269 of 14,386
If anyone is interested, I tried my Shure 1540 Alcantara earpads on my HE-400i, and wow they came alive, sub bass is more pronounced, soundstage seems a little increased (even though they are not angled like stock... which makes no sense to me lol) but yeah.... trying my HM5 leathers on them tomorrow, again non-angled, not sure how it will go. wish it was easier to change the pad, those little clips are annoying lol

rock out my friends, rock out!

Any news? :3

I'm looking for new ear pads to replace the stock Focus Pads

May 27, 2017 at 3:03 AM Post #12,270 of 14,386
Shure 1540 earpads are a great match for the 400i.

I am selling my pair for $23 shipped, if you are interested. I have moved on to the Monolith M560 headphones since I got them half price $199 on sale for $100 last week. Check my trader feedback if interested and PM me.

The 1540 pads make the bass vibrate your head a little bit in EDM, lol its quite impressive. Hm5 leather does as well, but not to the same extant, there is something special about that Alcantara material

Users who are viewing this thread

Back