Fiio x5 vs Ibasso dx90
May 12, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #407 of 446
  it's more on the mid-bass.

The general opinion seems to be that the X5 is slightly warmer than the DX90, if I recall correctly, but I would typically associate an emphasis on mid-bass with a warmer sound. I.e., I'd expect the DX90 to sound warmer if it has somewhat more mid-bass than the X5. Or is there some other part of the sound signature that makes the X5 sound warmer, in your opinion?

May 12, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #408 of 446
Anyone using the NAD HP50S with a x5?I currently have them paired with my dx90 (which is a match made in heaven) but I'm fed up with the single 128gb memory card slot. If they pair well with the x5 I'd consider jumping ship!

May 12, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #409 of 446
  I'm pretty sure about the JH16. Which DAP would you recommend pairing with it (discarding price considerations for the moment.. although in truth these considerations are there :)?

Don't ask me, because after looking for and owning a few DAPs including the 2 in this topic, the best (subjective) pairing for me is JH16 + iPod Nano (6th gen).

The best you can do is do your own comparison. But if I have to choose between DX90 and X5 for JH16 I would choose X5. I tend to choose DX90 over X5 when using my Porta pro or T51p.

May 12, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #410 of 446
  The general opinion seems to be that the X5 is slightly warmer than the DX90, if I recall correctly, but I would typically associate an emphasis on mid-bass with a warmer sound. I.e., I'd expect the DX90 to sound warmer if it has somewhat more mid-bass than the X5. Or is there some other part of the sound signature that makes the X5 sound warmer, in your opinion?

Me too. Having owned a DX90, I never found it to be a DAP with a signature that is bassier than the X5. And TBH I found the x5 much bassier and warmer. Liked both, picked the DX90.

May 13, 2015 at 2:37 AM Post #411 of 446
  Me too. Having owned a DX90, I never found it to be a DAP with a signature that is bassier than the X5. And TBH I found the x5 much bassier and warmer. Liked both, picked the DX90.

Yup, I also feel that X5 is slightly warmer than dx90...

May 13, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #412 of 446
I dont find a difference in warmth/brightness as such. I find the X5 a more immediate upfront sound. DX90 more open and relaxed. Switched between favouring the two the past year. Now settled on livelier X5. Also prefer X5 into HiFi and my Hugo.

May 13, 2015 at 5:09 AM Post #415 of 446
To my ear, DX90 sound better if you play it loud,

The trick is to see what sounds better when volume matched. Everything sounds better louder.

May 13, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #416 of 446
I dont find a difference in warmth/brightness as such. I find the X5 a more immediate upfront sound. DX90 more open and relaxed. Switched between favouring the two the past year. Now settled on livelier X5. Also prefer X5 into HiFi and my Hugo.

This is what I heard comparing to the Cayin N6. The X5 had more upper mids which brought a more forward and immediate sound. I haven't heard the DX90 but perhaps this is part of the X5 formula. Hearing those extra details without looking for them. Could be a double edged sword with less than optimal recordings though.

May 13, 2015 at 5:14 AM Post #417 of 446
  The best you can do is do your own comparison. But if I have to choose between DX90 and X5 for JH16 I would choose X5. I tend to choose DX90 over X5 when using my Porta pro or T51p.

Noting beats compering things with your own ears, but where can one actually do this... Is there a place where I have access to the JH16s (even a universal version if there is such a thing), an X5 and  a DX90 and I can just plug them in and listen? Sounds like an over-optimistic request 
basshead.gif

May 13, 2015 at 6:27 AM Post #418 of 446

Noting beats compering things with your own ears, but where can one actually to this... Is there a place where I have access to the JH16s (even a universal version if there is such a thing), an X5 and  a DX90 and I can just plug them in and listen? Sounds like an over-optimistic request 
basshead.gif

I don't think there is a universal version of JH16. If you order DX90 direct from iBasso, you have 2 weeks to try it out and return with no extra cost other than shipping. Find a dealer/shop who carries X5 nearest you. 
biggrin.gif

May 13, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #419 of 446
This is what I heard comparing to the Cayin N6. The X5 had more upper mids which brought a more forward and immediate sound. I haven't heard the DX90 but perhaps this is part of the X5 formula. Hearing those extra details without looking for them. Could be a double edged sword with less than optimal recordings though.

I read you found cayin warmer or more distant, which stopped my interest in it. So did buying the Hugo as its such a big change, but the X5 used alone outside of home, is preferable overall to my ears. And I like the scroll wheel! And themes. And two card slots. And size.

May 13, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #420 of 446
A couple general questions... When a DAP is used as an external usb dac, is the amp section still active? 

Also, does anyone have thoughts, or better, experience on the difference (mainly sound quality) between a DAP like the DX90 or X5 compared to a portable amp/dac (like the Oppo HA-2) using a MacBook Pro and/or Android phone as the source? 

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back