Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Jul 17, 2017 at 5:59 AM Post #10,306 of 15,899
Every morning, very hopeful, i turn the wifi on and wish for a miracle of a popup saying FW update available. Alas another day down the rabbit hole!
X7 thread sugests and update towards the end of the month so perhaps you can come out the rabbit hole at the same time. (Are there rabbits in India?):confused:

Jul 17, 2017 at 6:03 AM Post #10,307 of 15,899
X7 thread sugests and update towards the end of the month so perhaps you can come out the rabbit hole at the same time. (Are there rabbits in India?):confused:

Lol @peter1480 i just read that myself. Hell yeah.. rabbits definitely there

Jul 17, 2017 at 6:37 AM Post #10,309 of 15,899
I got tired already of waiting and decided to just put it up for sale, I have to many DAPs any ways. I need more IEMs.
2017-01-13-18-58-01--2129185967.jpeg

Jul 17, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #10,310 of 15,899
I have been a X5iii owner for several months and in general I am happy with it, although I share many people’s frustration with the FIIO music app and its semi frequent crashes. I hope stability will be improved as time moves along. I did worry that future products may compete for resources and bring an early end to firmware development; however, now that the X7ii has been announced with same version of Android I hopeful this will not be the case

I purchased the unit because of the large storage capability it has. I have fairly large library (excluding classical music) of about 5,500 albums. My collection ranges from personal ripped vinyl to mp3 purchases to high resolution music files. My goal was to carry around as much of my collection as possible. To that end I have converted all my non MP3 files to MP3 specifically for the purpose of loading on the X5iii. Currently my unit has ~60,000 “songs” on two 256 SD cards and the internal storage. For the most part I have art embedded in files and as folder.jpg files in each directory. My file structure is as follows: Artist => Album=>Song. Clearly despite being promoted as high storage capacity DAPs the software was not designed with efficient utilization of large libraries in mind. Here are my suggestions - excluding improved stability (and overall efficiency) - for improvement:

1) Replay Gain – this feature is essential for a top line product marketed as a high storage capacity device. Any large collection sourced from diverse media will contain wide fluctuations in volume.

2) Ability to use multiple tags – I usually use multiple genre tags with each song. For example I might tag a Buddy Guy song with the following genres:

Blues

Chicago Blues

Electric Blues

The X5 combines the tags into the following single genre: Blues;Chicago Blues;Electric Blues

As a result searching for something under genre is virtually impossible – there are simply far too many genres and unless the tag were entered in the same order similarly tagged works will show up in different” Genres” for example:

Blues; Chicago Blues; Electric Blues

Blues; Electric Blues; Chicago Blues

Chicago Blues; Blues; Electric Blues

Chicago Blues; Electric Blues; Blues

Electric Blues; Chicago Blues; Blues

Electric Blues; Blues; Chicago Blues

3) Use “Album Artist” as an option along with Song, Artist and Genre. In particular it would be nice to be able to have the Genre category drill down to a list Album Artist and then albums rather than a list of albums. The Album Artist sort will be similar to browsing file directories but in one location rather than have to browse internal storage and SD cards #1 & #2 separately.

4) Sorting - The alphabetical sort doesn’t seem to be correct. In any event the alphabetical sort under artist or album artist should be modified to ignore articles. In English this would include the words “The”,”A” & “An”. (I would guess in Spanish they would be ‘El’, ‘La’, ‘Los’ and ‘Las’) The Artist “The Beatles” should be grouped with the Artists beginning with the letter B rather than the Letter T.

Trying to find a song in a large collection is very difficult under the current alphabetical sort logic.

As an example while looking under Song here I see the following:

Just The Same

Just For Today

Just One More

Just Another Man

Just A Thought

The correct sort should be as follows:

Just A Thought

Just Another Man

Just For Today

Just One More

Just The Same

5) Artwork/Sorting Errors – Artwork still has some errors popping up. For example if I am looking under Artist the album Red by King crimson shows the artwork for the album Red by Taylor Swift. This is due to problems with the how Album tags are handled. If look for the album Red in the Album list, I find it but it contains the songs from three completely different albums titled Red. In this case the songs from a Taylor Swift album, a King Crimson album and a Black Uhuru album.

6) Interface Improvement –The strip on the right side of some lists that is used to quickly navigate to a particular letter is sometimes hard to use. Perhaps the area it uses in the interface could be increased in size.

Jul 17, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #10,311 of 15,899
I have been a X5iii owner for several months and in general I am happy with it, although I share many people’s frustration with the FIIO music app and its semi frequent crashes. I hope stability will be improved as time moves along. I did worry that future products may compete for resources and bring an early end to firmware development; however, now that the X7ii has been announced with same version of Android I hopeful this will not be the case

I purchased the unit because of the large storage capability it has. I have fairly large library (excluding classical music) of about 5,500 albums. My collection ranges from personal ripped vinyl to mp3 purchases to high resolution music files. My goal was to carry around as much of my collection as possible. To that end I have converted all my non MP3 files to MP3 specifically for the purpose of loading on the X5iii. Currently my unit has ~60,000 “songs” on two 256 SD cards and the internal storage. For the most part I have art embedded in files and as folder.jpg files in each directory. My file structure is as follows: Artist => Album=>Song. Clearly despite being promoted as high storage capacity DAPs the software was not designed with efficient utilization of large libraries in mind. Here are my suggestions - excluding improved stability (and overall efficiency) - for improvement:

1) Replay Gain – this feature is essential for a top line product marketed as a high storage capacity device. Any large collection sourced from diverse media will contain wide fluctuations in volume.

2) Ability to use multiple tags – I usually use multiple genre tags with each song. For example I might tag a Buddy Guy song with the following genres:

Blues

Chicago Blues

Electric Blues

The X5 combines the tags into the following single genre: Blues;Chicago Blues;Electric Blues

As a result searching for something under genre is virtually impossible – there are simply far too many genres and unless the tag were entered in the same order similarly tagged works will show up in different” Genres” for example:

Blues; Chicago Blues; Electric Blues

Blues; Electric Blues; Chicago Blues

Chicago Blues; Blues; Electric Blues

Chicago Blues; Electric Blues; Blues

Electric Blues; Chicago Blues; Blues

Electric Blues; Blues; Chicago Blues

3) Use “Album Artist” as an option along with Song, Artist and Genre. In particular it would be nice to be able to have the Genre category drill down to a list Album Artist and then albums rather than a list of albums. The Album Artist sort will be similar to browsing file directories but in one location rather than have to browse internal storage and SD cards #1 & #2 separately.

4) Sorting - The alphabetical sort doesn’t seem to be correct. In any event the alphabetical sort under artist or album artist should be modified to ignore articles. In English this would include the words “The”,”A” & “An”. (I would guess in Spanish they would be ‘El’, ‘La’, ‘Los’ and ‘Las’) The Artist “The Beatles” should be grouped with the Artists beginning with the letter B rather than the Letter T.

Trying to find a song in a large collection is very difficult under the current alphabetical sort logic.

As an example while looking under Song here I see the following:

Just The Same

Just For Today

Just One More

Just Another Man

Just A Thought

The correct sort should be as follows:

Just A Thought

Just Another Man

Just For Today

Just One More

Just The Same

5) Artwork/Sorting Errors – Artwork still has some errors popping up. For example if I am looking under Artist the album Red by King crimson shows the artwork for the album Red by Taylor Swift. This is due to problems with the how Album tags are handled. If look for the album Red in the Album list, I find it but it contains the songs from three completely different albums titled Red. In this case the songs from a Taylor Swift album, a King Crimson album and a Black Uhuru album.

6) Interface Improvement –The strip on the right side of some lists that is used to quickly navigate to a particular letter is sometimes hard to use. Perhaps the area it uses in the interface could be increased in size.
Great post, lots of things I would have said if I wasn't too lazy to do so. The alpha sorting is beyond bizarre but I don't have enough music on the X5 to make it a big enough issue yet!

Jul 17, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #10,312 of 15,899
I am able to connect my Mojo via coax, but with the latest software I get a lot of awful noise included with the music. This did not happen with previous versions of the software, nor does it happen with my first gen X5. It troubles me that you seem unaware of this issue as many have mentioned it here.

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:39 AM Post #10,313 of 15,899
I am able to connect my Mojo via coax, but with the latest software I get a lot of awful noise included with the music. This did not happen with previous versions of the software, nor does it happen with my first gen X5. It troubles me that you seem unaware of this issue as many have mentioned it here.
Dear friend,

Not sure if I missed some posts and seems I read the issue with the Mojo mentioned is only about USB output before.

We are contacting our engineers to take a look at this issue. Sorry for bringing inconvenience to you.

Best Regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jul 18, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #10,314 of 15,899
I actually have two coaxial cables. I got some problem with the one with the L-shape connectors - when the cable was moved, the connection stopped sporadically or produced noise. My another one with straight connectors work with X5iii and Mojo perfectly and it did not produce any noise.
IMG_4245.JPG

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 6:55 AM Post #10,316 of 15,899
Just a general message to anyone struggling with alphabetical sorting and finding songs:

Sorting: in the file browser view, there is an icon with three dots, bottom right, just above the miniature control interface. Clicking this opens a column of four icons, the top one is sort order. Tap this to reverse sort (z to a) then tap it again. Sorting should now be correct. I know this is not ideal for someone with 500 folders which they need to go through, but it does solve the sort problem.

Hard to find songs: scan your SD cards so the music app has gathered all the information for all your files. Then use the search function (top right, magnifying glass icon). Sounds basic but sometimes I try to find something manually and then realise I can just search for the song title or artist.

Hope this helps someone! Chilling in Koh Phi Phi, listening to Bonobo's latest on X5iii and LZA4s. Loving it!!!

Jul 19, 2017 at 7:04 AM Post #10,317 of 15,899
@FiiO
why you don't answer?

@FiiO
I have two reasons that cant use the fiio music app
1.First reason is that i cant see the id tags when it is written in Greek this issue is only on cue files .
2.The second reason is that the alphabet order for greek characters is not right and as i have big collection it is difficult to find the artist or album i want.

For the first issue i solve it using the poweramp because they have option to choose the id encoding also aksed the neutron developer and he told me he will include windows-1253 in next update
The second issue exist only in fiio app and i believe it is not difficult to solve it .

I contacted with support and the answer was

"As for the Greek alphabet order, we deep know it is importan feature for Greek customers, but we are afraid that we can not implement that feature at present after assessing its feasibility. "

From the answer I understand that you don't care about greek customers .

Also i want ask you if it will be a remote application in future to remote our device from our smartphone
something like HiByLink?

Jul 19, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #10,318 of 15,899
Just a general message to anyone struggling with alphabetical sorting and finding songs:

Sorting: in the file browser view, there is an icon with three dots, bottom right, just above the miniature control interface. Clicking this opens a column of four icons, the top one is sort order. Tap this to reverse sort (z to a) then tap it again. Sorting should now be correct. I know this is not ideal for someone with 500 folders which they need to go through, but it does solve the sort problem.

Hard to find songs: scan your SD cards so the music app has gathered all the information for all your files. Then use the search function (top right, magnifying glass icon). Sounds basic but sometimes I try to find something manually and then realise I can just search for the song title or artist.

Hope this helps someone! Chilling in Koh Phi Phi, listening to Bonobo's latest on X5iii and LZA4s. Loving it!!!

The BIG problem with finding a song on the X5 is that, once you find it and play it, (you can’t enqueue the song (add it to now playing)). You are just stuck with that one song until you abandon it and do more manipulations on the device. This is very annoying and inhibits continuous listening. Very frustrating! I have begged and begged for an simple enqueue feature, to no avail.
My eight year old Zune had no problems with “Add To Now Playing”.

I didn’t purchase the X5 to “fool around with it”, I purchased the X5 to “listen to it”.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #10,319 of 15,899

Thanks for the tip but I don't think this does solve the sort problem. I have tried this method several times. Just now I tried it sorting on Artist and noticed the following result:

Andre Marie Tala
Andy Williams
Andrew & Jim Baxter
Andre Rieu
Andrea Bocelli

The correct sort will should be:

Andre Marie Tala
Andre Rieu
Andrea Bocelli
Andrew & Jim Baxter
Andy Williams

With a small collection this error in sorting is a small or perhaps nonexistent problem; however, in a larger collection it is a serious frustration.

I just tried the same sort in the Neutron App and Andrew Lloyd Weber, Andrew Hill and Andrew Bird showed up in the sort I didn't see them in the FIIO App sort because they were out of order.

Slightly changing the subject - With regard to genre, Neutron too does not seem to handle multiple genres. This gives FIIO an opportunity to rise above the competition.

Jul 19, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #10,320 of 15,899
I've noticed this behavior as well. it seems true alphabetical order is tricky.

I have all of my folders broken down by letter, than artist. If your artist is all caps (SPC ECO), it goes to the top of that folder, regardless. If it has an accent (Opéra De Nuit), it heads to the bottom of "O" - and so on.

I've just gotten used to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back