FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Apr 30, 2017 at 7:08 AM Post #6,560 of 7,088
Sorry for the delay in replying and thanks for comment. I'm on Windows.

Don't worry about it!

50% battery in 1 hour seems a bit drastic, especially with volume at 40 and screen off.

Have you tried doing a hard reset and reinstalling the firmware? While not always, it will sometimes fix things up!

May 6, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #6,562 of 7,088
I am looking for a DAP to use as a transport. I am curious how this X5 2nd gen compared to the 3rd gen for the Coax output? I only care about the Coax output, that is my main use case. Spec wise, both DAPs have dual oscillators, X5 2nd gen has 2 SI oscillators, while not sure which is on the 3rd gen.
Is there any quality from the 3rd gen X5 for me to choose over the 2nd gen, or 2nd gen should be good enough for my purpose? Thanks for your advice!

May 6, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #6,563 of 7,088
I am looking for a DAP to use as a transport. I am curious how this X5 2nd gen compared to the 3rd gen for the Coax output? I only care about the Coax output, that is my main use case. Spec wise, both DAPs have dual oscillators, X5 2nd gen has 2 SI oscillators, while not sure which is on the 3rd gen.
Is there any quality from the 3rd gen X5 for me to choose over the 2nd gen, or 2nd gen should be good enough for my purpose? Thanks for your advice!

The main difference is touchscreen vs wheel + buttons.

I am using X5ii as a transport and it is awesome, but X5-3 has multiple software support, has Android and it has a touchscreen. X5ii has is operated via a wheel.

You might prefer either of the solutions. Both DAPs have a pretty good battery life and both have 2 x mSD slots.

for the record, I've been using X5-2 for more than two years and I'm still in love with it! Great DAP. I totally recommend it for your needs!

May 6, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #6,564 of 7,088

Besides the obvious interface differences and OS advantages of the X5iii over the X5ii, the X5iii coaxial is limited to 24/96 PCM output while the older X5ii can output 24/192 PCM. Both allow DSD through coaxial as DoP or D2P. The sound quality of the coaxial output between the two is pretty much the same.

May 7, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #6,565 of 7,088
Anyone notice the X5II glitching and causing iTunes to stop when using as a DAC (apple music streaming)
I haven't had problems with iTunes stopping, but I do have an issue I'm hoping someone can help me with. I'm using the X5ii as a DAC with my MacBook Pro, and in this configuration, the X5 forces the Mac to disengage all its internal controls for volume and balance. I have substantial hearing loss in my right ear, so I need the Mac's balance control (I'm using the X5's balance control, but it doesn't go far enough). Does anyone know how to get around this. Is some some Terminal command I can use to restore the Mac's balance control while the X5 is connected in DAC mode? Is there an external balance control anyone knows of that might work?

May 7, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #6,566 of 7,088
I haven't had problems with iTunes stopping, but I do have an issue I'm hoping someone can help me with. I'm using the X5ii as a DAC with my MacBook Pro, and in this configuration, the X5 forces the Mac to disengage all its internal controls for volume and balance. I have substantial hearing loss in my right ear, so I need the Mac's balance control (I'm using the X5's balance control, but it doesn't go far enough). Does anyone know how to get around this. Is some some Terminal command I can use to restore the Mac's balance control while the X5 is connected in DAC mode? Is there an external balance control anyone knows of that might work?

X5ii or X5-3?

Anyways, I think that this is something you might be able to control through your listening software, for example you can do a L-R adjustment within foobar.

May 7, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #6,567 of 7,088
I've recently bought a second-hand Fiio X5ii which appears to be in perfect condition, but which won't reliably read memory cards formatted on other machines AND (more worryingly) won't format memory cards itself.

I've done many tests, including the following very simple test. Before I ask the seller for a refund, can anyone see anything I might be doing wrong?

* Restore factory defaults.

* Insert a known good SD card which the seller included with the player.

* Format the card.

* Connect the player to a computer via USB. The player's screen says "USB connected."

* The device isn't seen on the computer.

* Insert a different known good card that was formatted elsewhere (I don't remember where).

* That shows up on the computer, so the USB connection is working. I can copy music files onto it over USB.

* Disconnect the player from the computer.

* Choose Browse Files.

* No files show up on EITHER card.

Thank you for any advice!

May 8, 2017 at 3:35 AM Post #6,568 of 7,088
I've recently bought a second-hand Fiio X5ii which appears to be in perfect condition, but which won't reliably read memory cards formatted on other machines AND (more worryingly) won't format memory cards itself.

I've done many tests, including the following very simple test. Before I ask the seller for a refund, can anyone see anything I might be doing wrong?

* Restore factory defaults.

* Insert a known good SD card which the seller included with the player.

* Format the card.

* Connect the player to a computer via USB. The player's screen says "USB connected."

* The device isn't seen on the computer.

* Insert a different known good card that was formatted elsewhere (I don't remember where).

* That shows up on the computer, so the USB connection is working. I can copy music files onto it over USB.

* Disconnect the player from the computer.

* Choose Browse Files.

* No files show up on EITHER card.

Thank you for any advice!

Dear tumble,

You may try to format the card in the X5II first. Then please do a factory restore from system settings of the X5II as well.

If you have a card reader, please check whether the songs have been copied successfully?

You may also try to update the firmware to FW2.1: https://www.dropbox.com/s/01p9x62n7a7j7lv/X5II-FW2.1.zip?dl=0

How to update the X5II: http://www.fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=40479&page=1&extra=#pid107291

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 8, 2017 at 3:44 AM Post #6,569 of 7,088
Thank you for the reply! It's great that you post here.

Dear tumble,

You may try to format the card in the X5II first. Then please do a factory restore from system settings of the X5II as well.

Yes, tried those things (see above for the negative results).

If you have a card reader, please check whether the songs have been copied successfully?

I do have a card reader, and I checked, and the songs were not copied successfully.

http://www.fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=40479&page=1&extra=#pid107291

I can't do that, because my X5II won't format a card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back