Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Jul 21, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #3,557 of 11,460
Re the heat problem with the Elise, I thought of it early on and installed octal socket savers in all four sockets. In addition to saving wear and tear on the sockets during frequent tube rolling, these socket savers act as insulators and substantially reduce the heat transfer from the tube to the chassis.
In addition to this, since Feliks Audio recommends that the amp should have at least three feet of air space above it, I mounted a 4" computer fan above the amp in my equipment rack where I keep it.

Yes, Mordy and I think that was the right thing to do, as well. Between that and your fan you were "heat problems free" :)

Wise moves!!

Cheers!

Jul 21, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #3,558 of 11,460
What I have garnered over the last year was that the heat problem had been mentioned to the father, but he did not want any fan on the amp nor cooling ducts on the trans housing, he wanted everything to be minimalistic that is why they changed to a small white led and no paint markings on the dial or knob. However they did incorporate larger air vents in the deck behind the tubes. My thoughts would have been more in line with the idea of putting louvers on the back of the transformer housing. You would not see them for the most part and would definatly help air flow. If I still have this amp when the warranty runs out I am going to do just that. Design over function is fine on some things but electronics that heat up is not one of them. Simple engineering would show you that. The back of the transformer housing would be a perfect place to put the air direction, heat rises so it has to move inside the transformer housing as well as heat generated by the trans itself. Even just cutting slots in the back, like the ones on the deck would help.

Jul 21, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #3,559 of 11,460
Tried to have a bit more bass on Andrea Bocelli songs, I put in KenRad VT231 (staggered plates) to pair with 5998 and T1. To my surprise, the combo sounded horrible, shouting highs, hollow mids and one note thumping bass. Voice was smeared and diffused. Totally unexpected.

Kept 5998 in, replaced KenRad Sylvania 6SN7GT and RCA VT231 back. Beautiful balanced sound returned

Kept KenRad VT231 in, and replaced 5998 with GEC 6080, Beautiful balanced sound returned .

Jul 21, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #3,560 of 11,460
Am using RCA 6sn7 gt 1948 version with GEC 6as7g's and the sound is to die for. Like the sound very much. Rich full bodied top to bottom. The GEC 6080's sounded very close to this combo.

Jul 21, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #3,561 of 11,460
I have been comparing the GEC 6080 and TS 6AS7G (the plain one, not 5998 type) as power tubes.
The latter is very good in my opinion, a bit more bass presence, less extended than GEC in the upper end, but I think it give a bit more "weight" to the sound with a tad more bass quantity. Mids are very good. Lovely, for only 35 EUR (the TS)!!

EDIT: drivers are Raytheon 6SN7GT.

Jul 21, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #3,562 of 11,460
Great new excitement. H1 is expecting his Hugo2 and CF is expecting his Eatter. Looking forward to reports on both.

My big excitement is I'm increasingly settling of a small number of preferred tube combos and it doesn't seem to matter which one I'm using. They all sound great on Euforia.

Well pct, at the moment my own excitement would seem to very possibly be a double-edged sword. Given I haven't yet had time to reterminate my coax cable from the Naim, I thought I'd just make sure this thing actually works, using an inferior feed...ie. optical out from my laptop, and straight out to the T1s - this beauty also being an amp, of course. All I can say right now already is that when fed properly, this Hugo2 will either make my Euforia totally redundant, or when used purely as DAC for her, take her to a level I could only dream of...it's that good!!

Still very early days, of course, so I shan't even bother trying to give a more in-depth assessment, but this coming week is going to be an extremely interesting one for me...and perhaps one or two others lol?! :dt880smile:...(a shame the next 2 days are spoken for...life just ain't fair sometimes!!). Cheers for now...CJ
Hi H1,

I noticed more than one picture of you on the FA site.
Congrats.

Althalus

Hi Althalus, and thanks...sure you aren't mistaking me for another guy, just like poor ol' pct lol?!! :wink:...

And apologies for not welcoming you properly before - my eyes have been off the ball a bit recently, but hope to be back on track soon!! :L3000:...and so, WELCOME to Feliks-Audio land and to our great community.

Speak again soon....time for zzzzzzzzzzzz

BFN guys

Jul 21, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #3,563 of 11,460
Boy, H1 you are either gardening or sleeping, when do you relax with the music?!!

Jul 21, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #3,564 of 11,460
PCT here is a singer that can take the Euforia to good places check her out at 4:08 she really belts if out

Jul 21, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #3,565 of 11,460
I like her a lot CF. I don't have anything to offer tonight that would even come close.

Been listening with Sylvania 6SN7-WGT and GEC 6AS7G. Wonderful combo. One of my GECs still has occasional static. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. One of the few tubes I've ever had any problem with. Fortunately, the static usually goes away after its been on for about 5 minutes, or until I apply the gentle flick of the finger fix.

H1, that is very exciting news about the Hugo2. With its solid state amp, you have now joined the very exclusive Solid State or OTL Depending on Your Mood Club. Hope it does take Euforia to new heights. I can't bear the thought that Euforia might become "redundant" !!! :)

Finally, Althalus let me also offer my enthusiastic hello. You've definitely come to the right place :k701smile:

Jul 22, 2017 at 5:05 AM Post #3,566 of 11,460
And apologies for not welcoming you properly before

Finally, Althalus let me also offer my enthusiastic hello. You've definitely come to the right place

Wow, what a welcome from you all. Everyone is very kind in this forum, thanks. And of course also thanks to all the other people who already welcomed me and started giving me advice.
Althalus

Jul 22, 2017 at 5:17 AM Post #3,567 of 11,460
I have just some questions.
After reading something about heat and octal socket savers. Do I need them for my Euforia?

Maybe not really a question, I read somewhere I should not insert the tubes completely into the sockets but leave a little room to get a screwdriver under it so I can always get the tubes out of the socket when they like the amp too much and hang on to it. :wink:

Are there more Tricks I need to know of?

Althalus

Jul 22, 2017 at 5:45 AM Post #3,568 of 11,460
Boy, H1 you are either gardening or sleeping, when do you relax with the music?!!

Good question, cf...they are usually "stolen moments" I'm afraid...hence my (long!) history of 'Midnight missives" lol!! :smile_phones:....Plus, I really do need my "beauty" sleep, alas! :wink:

I like her a lot CF. I don't have anything to offer tonight that would even come close.

Been listening with Sylvania 6SN7-WGT and GEC 6AS7G. Wonderful combo. One of my GECs still has occasional static. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. One of the few tubes I've ever had any problem with. Fortunately, the static usually goes away after its been on for about 5 minutes, or until I apply the gentle flick of the finger fix.

H1, that is very exciting news about the Hugo2. With its solid state amp, you have now joined the very exclusive Solid State or OTL Depending on Your Mood Club. Hope it does take Euforia to new heights. I can't bear the thought that Euforia might become "redundant" !!! :)

Finally, Althalus let me also offer my enthusiastic hello. You've definitely come to the right place :k701smile:

I too will keep my fingers AND toes crossed for your GEC tube, pct...some of these old "Coke" tubes can indeed prove a little "troublesome", unfortunately. I believe this was one of the reasons for later development of the straight-sided 6080-type tubes? Whatever, I personally still prefer the "ST" shape tubes' sound, in the main!

Re, the solid state circuitry of the H2, the amazing flexibility of the FPGA (Field-Programmable Gate Array) digital technology allows (apparently) designers to achieve hitherto unknown possibilities in all manner of applications - audio being just one of them. And Chord's genius circuit designer, Rob Watts, has spent many years developing the "coding" and implementation of this futuristic tech, culminating in the industry-leading sampling rates of his "Pulse Array" design....(this being a disgustingly brief and simplistic attempt at just what's actually going on here lol!!).
Anyway, all that really matters is how his efforts end up sounding - and in short, once again, he's managed to achieve a very un-SS type of sound...compared to the 'typical' SS presentation usually referred to (but which is changing fast with some of the modern, high quality amps!). Hence my slight agitation at what I heard straight out to my T1s - a sound less "SS-like" than some tubes I've heard in the past lol!!!...quite uncanny, actually. And I'm quite sure this is also helped by the fact that the latest FPGA chips used are able to output such power that an additional OP amp isn't needed, which can only be good news!! The fact that this DAC/AMP can also run perfectly from its battery - no mains gremlins!! - must be another plus.

And so things are looking like possible game changers in the next week or 2...watch this space! :ksc75smile:...

Jul 22, 2017 at 6:13 AM Post #3,569 of 11,460
Well sadly, as good as the Hugo2 may sound compared to the euphoria, I am afraid with all the investment I have in tubes that I'll have to stay with this for a while. I hope that it works out to Beyond Your Wildest imagination, and that you have this hard thing to do whenever you want to listen to music which amp do I listen to I'm sorry! Good luck with that h and please keep us in the news, even if that means we may have to look at a new amplifier as well, take good care of yourself my friend.

Jul 22, 2017 at 7:51 AM Post #3,570 of 11,460
Well sadly, as good as the Hugo2 may sound compared to the euphoria, I am afraid with all the investment I have in tubes that I'll have to stay with this for a while. I hope that it works out to Beyond Your Wildest imagination, and that you have this hard thing to do whenever you want to listen to music which amp do I listen to I'm sorry! Good luck with that h and please keep us in the news, even if that means we may have to look at a new amplifier as well, take good care of yourself my friend.

"OTLs rule. Always have. Always will" - pctazhp July 22, 2017. Keep the faith Brother CF :darthsmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back